Yet another US shooting

• 2 weeks later...

Not a shooting, just a prisoner getting mown down by a train. Funny thing is how quickly they find first a holster, then a gun at the end when the Sherriff arrives, knowing how badly they've fucked up, despite nothing being there before the crash.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/sep/24/colorado-train-hits-police-car-woman-inside-video

• 2 weeks later...

The story here is the officer thought he recognised the car as one which had failed to stop the previous night. It wasn't the same car, just a random 17 year old eating a burger in McDonalds car park. Amazingly he survived, although is in critical condition.

The officer initially claimed he fired after being struck by the vehicle. When the bodycam footage proved this was a lie he was fired.

17 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

The story here is the officer thought he recognised the car as one which had failed to stop the previous night. It wasn't the same car, just a random 17 year old eating a burger in McDonalds car park. Amazingly he survived, although is in critical condition.

The officer initially claimed he fired after being struck by the vehicle. When the bodycam footage proved this was a lie he was fired.

It's time someone came up with a system of car identification to avoid this sort of mistake. Maybe a unique alpha/numeric reference for each car.

Perhaps we could call that its "registration number"?

Why was the cop so keen to aggressively confront a car which (the officer thought) had merely "failed to stop" previously?

Even if the cop had been struck by the car, why would that justify trying to shoot someone dead?

What a f***ed up place!

Edited by printer

3 hours ago, printer said:

It's time someone came up with a system of car identification to avoid this sort of mistake. Maybe a unique alpha/numeric reference for each car.

Why was the cop so keen to aggressively confront a car which (the officer thought) had merely "failed to stop" previously?

Even if the cop had been struck by the car, why would that justify trying to shoot someone dead?

What a f***ed up place!

-License plate readers standard on many police cars now, but the torrent of information means they are often ignored.

-Because many cops have the posse mindset of hunting down lawbreakers. One getting away eats at them.

-A car is considered a deadly weapon, and simply (somewhat) driving at an officer is enough to allow then to unload their weapon at you. The mistake was saying he’d been hit rather than he felt threatened, fired for lying, not shooting.

-You ain’t whistling Dixie in many places.

21 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

13 minutes ago, TxRover said:

-License plate readers standard on many police cars now, but the torrent of information means they are often ignored.

-Because many cops have the posse mindset of hunting down lawbreakers. One getting away eats at them.

-A car is considered a deadly weapon, and simply (somewhat) driving at an officer is enough to allow then to unload their weapon at you. The mistake was saying he’d been hit rather than he felt threatened, fired for lying, not shooting.

Zero justification for firing here, guy was eating a burger. Someone opens my car door pointing a gun at me im driving like f**k away too. Didnt identify himself, looked like a car jacking attempt to me really. Then hes clear of the car and unloads about 5/6 shots after already having 1 possibly two hits before the car door shut. Aiming indiscriminately into the car also? Pathetic, hope he does time.  

57 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I didn't make the leap in my mind from being struck to the car being driven at the cop. 

My questions were rhetorical, but thanks for your thoughts. 🙂

6 hours ago, printer said:

What a f***ed up place!

One of the weird things about America is that cars don't need a licence plate on both front and back.

Walk into many car related stores or University related bookstores in America and you can get any "tag" to stick on the front of your car instead of a licence late.

You might not see the reg of the car coming at you but if lucky enough to survive it running you over you might be able to read it as it heads off into the distance 

s-l640.jpg

Edited by Sugar_Army

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

One of the weird things about America is that cars don't need a licence plate on both front and back.

1 hour ago, printer said:

Didn't know that. 

Depends on the state. Some do, some don’t…and cars from a state not requiring a front plate don’t have to display one in states requiring a front plate. The usual rule is you must change the car registration to the state you are in after 30 days, and comply with their plate rules. 19 states don’t require front plates.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

Depends on the state. Some do, some don’t…and cars from a state not requiring a front plate don’t have to display one in states requiring a front plate. The usual rule is you must change the car registration to the state you are in after 30 days, and comply with their plate rules. 19 states don’t require front plates.

Cheers. Can't imagine any way that would make things confusing, less efficient or effective. 🤔

1 hour ago, printer said:

Cheers. Can't imagine any way that would make things confusing, less efficient or effective. 🤔

It’s a legacy, and really only for law enforcement. For instance, all states surrounding Texas and Ohio don’t require front plates, Texas and Ohio do. I haven’t had a front plate on my car in Texas for over 34 years, and have gotten one ticket and one warning in that time. It’s generally the southern, southeastern and eastern midwestern states that don’t require two, with a few exceptions.

On 09/10/2022 at 00:18, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Zero justification for firing here, guy was eating a burger. Someone opens my car door pointing a gun at me im driving like f**k away too. Didnt identify himself, looked like a car jacking attempt to me really. Then hes clear of the car and unloads about 5/6 shots after already having 1 possibly two hits before the car door shut. Aiming indiscriminately into the car also? Pathetic, hope he does time.  

He must have been able to see the uniform though as he was looking directly at him so I can't see how he could have thought it was a carjacking.  It's difficult to be entirely sure but it looks like he started to reverse before any shots were fired.  

Nor trying to justify the cops over reaction but the driver hasn't helped himself here IMO.  

19 minutes ago, hk blues said:

He must have been able to see the uniform though as he was looking directly at him so I can't see how he could have thought it was a carjacking.  It's difficult to be entirely sure but it looks like he started to reverse before any shots were fired.  

Nor trying to justify the cops over reaction but the driver hasn't helped himself here IMO.  

One of the first things you get trained to do to legitimise a stop would be to declare ‘Police stop’ or some other similar form of words where it is abundantly clear you are a police officer. Having spent a lot of time in the states its genuinely not uncommon for some of the gun nuts to dress in similar clothing to police officers, in particular the kinda half uniform type stuff that some sheriffs detectives etc wear ‘tacticool’ is the jokey term. Hunting gear etc all similar. Theres also a massive mental health epidemic, just look at some of the police impersonators on youtube too. I dont blame the driver for his reaction, that former police officer caused that with his actions. He could have waited for the other cars before he went in, there was no sign that car was moving away, even then a controlled stop away from a fast food restaurant would be better in terms of overall safety, one of those many rounds could have went through the car or missed entirely and hit a kid or innocent in the mcdonalds. There is a whole litany of factors as to why every single thing he did was wrong. 
I understand the dynamic is different in America, i get that they draw their guns etc whilst making a stop sometimes, but if you cant even get the basics right here then there is a massive problem. I’ve worked with people 2 weeks out of police training college who could have approached a car better than this guy who was trusted to work on his own?

19 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

One of the first things you get trained to do to legitimise a stop would be to declare ‘Police stop’ or some other similar form of words where it is abundantly clear you are a police officer. Having spent a lot of time in the states its genuinely not uncommon for some of the gun nuts to dress in similar clothing to police officers, in particular the kinda half uniform type stuff that some sheriffs detectives etc wear ‘tacticool’ is the jokey term. Hunting gear etc all similar. Theres also a massive mental health epidemic, just look at some of the police impersonators on youtube too. I dont blame the driver for his reaction, that former police officer caused that with his actions. He could have waited for the other cars before he went in, there was no sign that car was moving away, even then a controlled stop away from a fast food restaurant would be better in terms of overall safety, one of those many rounds could have went through the car or missed entirely and hit a kid or innocent in the mcdonalds. There is a whole litany of factors as to why every single thing he did was wrong. 
I understand the dynamic is different in America, i get that they draw their guns etc whilst making a stop sometimes, but if you cant even get the basics right here then there is a massive problem. I’ve worked with people 2 weeks out of police training college who could have approached a car better than this guy who was trusted to work on his own?

There is no question the officer acted totally wrongly and he's been fired accordingly.  My only point is the outcome would have been different if the guy hadn't tried to drive off.  If he hadn't then maybe, just maybe, no shots would have been fired and the situation would have been resolved.  By driving off with the officer's gun aiming at the car there was only ever going to be one outcome.  I'd have been out the car and hands up no question.  

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

There is no question the officer acted totally wrongly and he's been fired accordingly.  

41 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think he got fired more for not waiting for back up as a probationer than for shooting the guy.

That's what I read.  

Which suggests his superiors think the shooting in itself was justified.  Or they just want to avoid any possible comeback from the ex-officer and have chosen a bullet-proof reason.  

5 minutes ago, hk blues said:

That's what I read.  

Which suggests his superiors think the shooting in itself was justified.  Or they just want to avoid any possible comeback from the ex-officer and have chosen a bullet-proof reason.  

They don't want to be sued for millions by the burger muncher.