Yet another US shooting

43 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Mocking the "thoughts and prayers" chat is getting beyond worn out. Our politicians love a bit of "Our thoughts are with..." but that never seems to be ridiculed.

I think the issue is that when folk think they are praying about something they are under the impression that they are "doing" something. The only conceivable benefit is that they are making THEMSELVES feel better.  It's obviously up to the American electorate, but I'm pretty sure that those in favour of gun control would prefer millions more votes for candidates favouring gun control than 10 times that number sending utterly pointless thoughts and prayers.

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

It's obviously up to the American electorate, but I'm pretty sure that those in favour of gun control would prefer millions more votes for candidates favouring gun control than 10 times that number sending utterly pointless thoughts and prayers.

Just as well wanting to change the system and having sympathy with victims are not mutually exclusive.

53 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Just as well wanting to change the system and having sympathy with victims are not mutually exclusive.

True enough, but sympathy without action amounts to nothing of substance. I dare say that the Republicans in the senate have had sympathy for the victims of mass shootings. 

6 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Don't think you would want too many of the folk on this thread living nearby.

Why would advertise that you have loads of easy fenced valuables in your house?

Obviously the gun owners would be delighted to shoot a burglar but you don't have to be a criminal mastermind to pick a time when they are out.

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

Why would advertise that you have loads of easy fenced valuables in your house?

Obviously the gun owners would be delighted to shoot a burglar but you don't have to be a criminal mastermind to pick a time when they are out.

Apparently in the States you’re much more likely to be burgled during 9-5 when most folks are at work, due to the average American being armed to the teeth. With folks working from home, it’d be interesting to see a study about COVID’s impact on the burgling economy. 

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

True enough, but sympathy without action amounts to nothing of substance. I dare say that the Republicans in the senate have had sympathy for the victims of mass shootings. 

You need to be capable of empathy in order to have sympathy for the plight of others.

19 minutes ago, BFTD said:

You need to be capable of empathy in order to have sympathy for the plight of others.

You're surely not suggesting that the Republicans in congress don't have empathy or sympathy for the victims of mass shootings? Why, as they sit there in their churches, I'm sure they think of little else. 

Anyway, the voters get the politicians they vote for.  As long as the electorate are content to vote for these anti-gun control politicians, they are actually more guilty than the politicians who are only doing what their voters seem to want. 

11 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

You're surely not suggesting that the Republicans in congress don't have empathy or sympathy for the victims of mass shootings? Why, as they sit there in their churches, I'm sure they think of little else. 

Anyway, the voters get the politicians they vote for.  As long as the electorate are content to vote for these anti-gun control politicians, they are actually more guilty than the politicians who are only doing what their voters seem to want. 

You could generalise that, put in one of the politics threads then close the politics forum.  So long as people vote for c***s they deserve everything they get.

39 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

The Charleston SC massacre gave them a little pause for concern and then they remembered what kind of church Dylann Roof stormed and had a little chuckle to themselves. 

6 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

As I understand it, the NRA banned guns from their conference.  Kind of odd that they seemingly trust the average Joe in the street more than they trust their own members. 

From what I read they allowed guns at the conference, but they were banned when Trump was there.

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

Apparently in the States you’re much more likely to be burgled during 9-5 when most folks are at work, due to the average American being armed to the teeth. With folks working from home, it’d be interesting to see a study about COVID’s impact on the burgling economy. 

The burgling game isn't for me but surely the trick is get on Instagram and see what all these numpties have in their house and when they are on holiday.

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The burgling game isn't for me but surely the trick is get on Instagram and see what all these numpties have in their house and when they are on holiday.

I'd use my football knowledge to identify wee teams with big cup ties, when practically the whole town goes to the game.

25 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
46 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:
I'd use my football knowledge to identify wee teams with big cup ties, when practically the whole town goes to the game.

Aren't you from Airdrie? You'd be too busy at Trump rallies wearing MAGA hats m9

When in Rome...