Yet another US shooting

6 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

As I type this there is an ongoing shooter on the loose here in Thailand, in the city of Korat.  He is an army sergeant . Reportedly killed 17 confirmed, maybe more.  Has also took hostages in a shopping mall.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/02/08/rogue-soldier-kills-12-in-rampage-police-say/ 

Was on bus into Korat when this happened emergency services were squeezing by us and I seen one dead body at side of road on stretcher. They closed the main road stopping us getting into bus station which is a 5 min walk from Terminal 21 and we drove around for about an hour on outskirts of city. Would have went there for my tea if I had caught earlier bus so a bit of a could have been me.

39 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Was on bus into Korat when this happened emergency services were squeezing by us and I seen one dead body at side of road on stretcher. They closed the main road stopping us getting into bus station which is a 5 min walk from Terminal 21 and we drove around for about an hour on outskirts of city. Would have went there for my tea if I had caught earlier bus so a bit of a could have been me.

I hear he is still on the loose.  Got anything planned for the day? Or just a quiet day in bed?

7 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

As I type this there is an ongoing shooter on the loose here in Thailand, in the city of Korat.  He is an army sergeant . Reportedly killed 17 confirmed, maybe more.  Has also took hostages in a shopping mall.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/02/08/rogue-soldier-kills-12-in-rampage-police-say/ 

Is Korat slang for Nakhon Ratchasima or the other way around? I need some small talk in case I bump into the sergeant accidentally. He could be anywhere by now. 

16 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

I hear he is still on the loose.  Got anything planned for the day? Or just a quiet day in bed?

Yeah think there may be more casualties as can't see him giving up. Eventually got into the bus station from opposite direction and jumped on bus to Chaiyaphum, stayed there last night as late in. 

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Is Korat slang for Nakhon Ratchasima or the other way around? I need some small talk in case I bump into the sergeant accidentally. He could be anywhere by now. 

Yes Korat is the slang word (nickname).  It actually means some kind of cat.

Basically Thais use many nicknames in place of the full name including their own names.  Nicknames are given at birth to everyone and is used instead on the actual name..  Some amusing nicknames I have heard while at my sons school.  His nickname is "Roy".

Names as, Man U, I-phone, Guitar, One or First (usually the first child of the family), which comes to my point.  Roy in Thai means 1 hundred.  Yes, I have 1 hundred children, as asked by one bemused villager. :lol:

Yes Korat is the slang word (nickname).  It actually means some kind of cat.
Basically Thais use many nicknames in place of the full name including their own names.  Nicknames are given at birth to everyone and is used instead on the actual name..  Some amusing nicknames I have heard while at my sons school.  His nickname is "Roy".
Names as, Man U, I-phone, Guitar, One or First (usually the first child of the family), which comes to my point.  Roy in Thai means 1 hundred.  Yes, I have 1 hundred children, as asked by one bemused villager. :lol:

Missed a HUGE opportunity there Slippery P to confirm that Bangkok is in fact a nickname and write out, in full, Bangkoks name.

I’m fucked if I’m doing it, is your bat mask wearing country!

1 hour ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Missed a HUGE opportunity there Slippery P to confirm that Bangkok is in fact a nickname and write out, in full, Bangkoks name.

I’m fucked if I’m doing it, is your bat mask wearing country!

Not really, Bangkok is an area of "Krung Thep".  Krung Thep being the name that all Thais use, never here a Thai saying Bangkok unless they are speaking to a foreigner "farange".

Bangkok means place of olives, While Krung Thep means City of Angels. Name was given by the King Rama 1st. When Royalty moved there after Ayutthaya  was sacked by the Burmees in 1767.

The full name for Krung Thep is 

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตนโกสินทร์ มหินทรายุธยามหาดิลก ภพนพรัตน์ ราชธานีบุรีรมย์ อุดมราชนิเวศน์ มหาสถาน อมรพิมาน อวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยะ วิษณุกรรมประสิทธิ์

which full translation to English is

The city of angels, the great city, the residence of the Emerald Buddha, the impregnable city (of Ayutthaya) of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarn

That is todays international culture lesson over.

50 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Not really, Bangkok is an area of "Krung Thep".  Krung Thep being the name that all Thais use, never here a Thai saying Bangkok unless they are speaking to a foreigner "farange".

Bangkok means place of olives, While Krung Thep means City of Angels. Name was given by the King Rama 1st. When Royalty moved there after Ayutthaya  was sacked by the Burmees in 1767.

The full name for Krung Thep is 

which full translation to English is

That is todays international culture lesson over.

Facts you made up thread for this pish

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

You'd need a hell of a size of a road sign to get that on it.

Guest Moomintroll

That has actually answered a puzzle I had, big road signs are not an issue, those crazy Thais really love their Monarchs.

10 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

One night in Korat makes a hard man humble.

9 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Death toll in this latest event has now risen to 29.

There'll be some American crank watching these reports and thinking he/she could do better than that.

Aye, the yanks are going to have to up their game.

On 09/02/2020 at 06:33, Jacksgranda said:

That’s just how I sounded as I left Hampden after losing to 9 cnuts in the 2010 League Cup Final.

56 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Feel sorry for the poor c**t who lives on Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit Road.

What about the policeman who's booking him for speeding? "Address?" "Don't do it again, sir."

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/orange-county/employee-killed-after-shooting-orlando-premium-outlets-police-say/WPX36M3DPRFA7KFCJT23I3RWRM/

Id hate for this to come across all ‘it could have been me’ but i was in this shop 7 days before the shooting and feel quite sad hearing about it as the staff are usually really lovely in here, very helpful and genuinely nice. Guy’s apparently got a list of targets etc, I mean horrific, who the f**k would think after getting fired that shooting their boss is the way forward?