ICTJohnboy

Yet another US shooting

It’s because of drug and gang wars though. Very localised. One thing I loved was the zero dickheads in bars, no hassle no dirty looks very welcoming.

In a way guns make things safer and more civilised. Just don’t kick off.

:lol:

Just now, BillyAnchor said:

While I tend to agree the chance of being the victim of a gun crime is very high in certain American 'ghettos' the average life expectancy in the West Side of Chicago (a notoriously violent gang ridden area) is 69 years.

In Calton, Glasgow it is 54.  So deprivation and poverty are arguable.  

Links are from less than 100% reputable sites and may be a few years old  yet seem to be based on real studies.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/men-in-glasgows-east-end-have-life-988632

https://nonprofitquarterly.org/chicago-west-side-residents-hospitals-aim-close-16-year-life-expectancy-gap/ 

Again though, is that the entire west side of Chicago?  Cause the gun crime is like ten areas in the west and south of the city, the rest is a modern highly developed rich first world city.  Also in Scotland in a place like Calton lifestyle is going to be the main factor there, not violent crime.

In Afghanistan and Iraq combined the US lost about 7000 soldiers, in the same time period over 8000 people were murdered in Chicago.  90% would be young black males and almost all in a dozen smallish areas.  For these people they literally live in a warzone, for the other 3 million people in the city its like living in Edinburgh or somewhere like that.

Just now, D.A.F.C said:

It’s because of drug and gang wars though. Very localised. One thing I loved was the zero dickheads in bars, no hassle no dirty looks very welcoming.

In a way guns make things safer and more civilised. Just don’t kick off.

:lol:

It is very localised, and it does make you think I would be much less likely to make an issue of something on a night out in the States than here cause the person you are arguing with may have a gun or very likely could get one pretty quickly in a lot of places.  Most states you can't take them into bars though, only some.  They're very friendly people you're right open welcoming polite good fun down to earth informal.