Yet another US shooting

1 hour ago, Unrepentant F.B. said:

Why demand change in the Imperialist shithole?

Accept it for whit it is.

Don't go there and no cunto cares.

Backwater Nazi swamp (all colours/creeds included in that statement, they're all gung-ho fleg waving fucktards).

Actually only just under a quarter of Americans own a gun, just the mental ones tend to own loads. 

Its generally as safe as here as long as you avoid the bad parts of the big cities, except there's always the outside possibility of a nutcase going on rampage but statistically the chances of getting caught up in that are miniscule.  I think people from here don't realise its an absolutely massive country with a third of a billion people.  

Unfortunately the crazy people there are utterly batshit but on the whole its pretty safe and not the hellhole some portray it as.

Actually only just under a quarter of Americans own a gun, just the mental ones tend to own loads. 
Its generally as safe as here as long as you avoid the bad parts of the big cities, except there's always the outside possibility of a nutcase going on rampage but statistically the chances of getting caught up in that are miniscule.  I think people from here don't realise its an absolutely massive country with a third of a billion people.  
Unfortunately the crazy people there are utterly batshit but on the whole its pretty safe and not the hellhole some portray it as.
Just you keep telling yourself that.

On 10/08/2019 at 18:01, Miguel Sanchez said:

How would the police have reacted if a black man tested his constitutional rights by walking into a shop in body armour and carrying a rifle?

In 1967 The Black Panthers exercised their constitutional rights by wandering into a government building carrying rifles to protest about racist gun laws in California "keeping black people unarmed and helpless". Within months Governor Ronald Reagan signed a bill making it illegal to openly carry firearms. The bill was even nicknamed The Panther Bill. 

I imagine the reaction would be considerably less measured now, given the shoot on sight policy the polis seem to have with black men/boys. 

21 hours ago, Kuro said:

Again, I have to violently disagree with you when you said, "Its generally as safe as here as long as you avoid the bad parts of the big cities".  This is just bollocks.

If you take away a few violent hotspots The US is actually a much safer place wrt violent crime than The UK.  There are vast swathes of the country which have ridiculously low crime rates and where the general population are much more civic-minded than we are - even compared to leafy Bucks .

You are right to say it's 'not the hellhole some portray it as'.  I've been a couple of dozen times and enjoyed every single visit and have never felt unsafe.

25 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Again, I have to violently disagree with you when you said, "Its generally as safe as here as long as you avoid the bad parts of the big cities".  This is just bollocks.

If you take away a few violent hotspots The US is actually a much safer place wrt violent crime than The UK.  There are vast swathes of the country which have ridiculously low crime rates and where the general population are much more civic-minded than we are - even compared to leafy Bucks .

You are right to say it's 'not the hellhole some portray it as'.  I've been a couple of dozen times and enjoyed every single visit and have never felt unsafe.

Violently disagree eh?  You want to make something of it?  What I said was actually 100% accurate, you.can't just cherry pick areas, we are discussing the country as a whole, and as a whole statistics show its slightly more dangerous than here. That's just reality.  There are many and many large areas that are extremely safe that's true,but taken as a whole violent crime rates are a little higher than here, though concentrated in small areas.

20 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

If you’re taking away the US' few violent hotspots then take ours away too or your comparison is also bollocks. 

I'm glad you felt safe. We spent a week there when I was a kid and my mum had her bag nicked. That had never happened in the 70+ years she's lived elsewhere conclusively proving that the US is 3,640 times more crime ridden than the rest of the world.

Or maybe personal experience is poor evidence? 

In 1967 The Black Panthers exercised their constitutional rights by wandering into a government building carrying rifles to protest about racist gun laws in California "keeping black people unarmed and helpless". Within months Governor Ronald Reagan signed a bill making it illegal to openly carry firearms. The bill was even nicknamed The Panther Bill. 

I imagine the reaction would be considerably less measured now, given the shoot on sight policy the polis seem to have with black men/boys. 

Read this on here then saw this on a Twitter not long after.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Read this on here then saw this on a Twitter not long after.

Membership of the NRA is only about 2% of the adult population of the USA.  A concerted effort by the anti-gun lobby to take it over would be possible.

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I felt much safer in America and that was in Texas. We got told not to walk about but we said f**k it and went on a night out. Ended up in a nightclub and we were the only white people there. People were really friendly and polite.

Would much rather live there than London.

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

I felt much safer in America and that was in Texas. We got told not to walk about but we said f**k it and went on a night out. Ended up in a nightclub and we were the only white people there. People were really friendly and polite.

Would much rather live there than London.

A lot of that is perception though.  New York is currently the safest its ever been, by far the safest large city in America, they celebrate it in the press all the time.  Murder rates are a fifth of what they were, and murder rates there are exactly double London's right now, when London is in the midst of a violent crime crisis.  Though again if you don't go where you shouldn't there's nothing to worry about.  

Texas outside of parts of Dallas and Houston would be no problem at all.

1 minute ago, Kuro said:

A lot of that is perception though.  New York is currently the safest its ever been, by far the safest large city in America, they celebrate it in the press all the time.  Murder rates are a fifth of what they were, and murder rates there are exactly double London's right now, when London is in the midst of a violent crime crisis.  Though again if you don't go where you shouldn't there's nothing to worry about.  

That was downtown Houston.

3 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

That would be fine, but there are parts of Houston a group of white guys walking around would almost certainly get robbed and possibly even shot just by being there at night.  The levels of poverty, crime and deprivation in the big cities are like nothing you would ever see anywhere in Western Europe, but only in certain areas and there's no reason a tourist would ever go to these areas.

10 minutes ago, Kuro said:

9 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

3 minutes ago, Kuro said:

That would be fine, but there are parts of Houston a group of white guys walking around would almost certainly get robbed and possibly even shot just by being there at night.  

Nah.  I've been to Houston many times for work and leisure and the only unsavoury incident I can recall is some loon from Aberdeen exposing his 1983 CWC leg tattoo and proffering square goes to all and sundry outside The Shakespeare Pub.

Houston is a pretty bourgeoise city and a lovely place for a long weekend.

7 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Nah.  I've been to Houston many times for work and leisure and the only unsavoury incident I can recall is some loon from Aberdeen exposing his 1983 CWC leg tattoo and proffering square goes to all and sundry outside The Shakespeare Pub.

Houston is a pretty bourgeoise city and a lovely place for a long weekend.

You've never been to the bad bits of Houston though have you?  Every large US city has areas like that, I can't think of one that doesn't.  

In 2017 London had a murder rate of 1.6, Houston had 11.5.

Edited by Kuro