ICTJohnboy

Yet another US shooting

1 hour ago, mathematics said:

I went to Vegas last year with Mrs Mathematics. She wanted to go to a gun range, I didn’t see the appeal but went with her because I’m kept man. Deal she chose for us was any three guns from a very extensive list. I ended up with a magnum, some sort of machine gun, and a sniper rifle.

Fucking loved it.

Could you not have chosen 3 guns and just got your ice cream after?

He trusted me with so much of his darkness that I forgot most of it. Another thing between mentally ill friends: the capacity to forget things can be a blessing if the person is telling you something in confidence. Forgetfulness equals trust. So, when people try to get mad about my gaps in memory, then they don’t understand why Connor would have trusted me with his secrets in the first place.

Getting her excuses in early.

Smart.

Not sure if this has been posted already, but I saw a tweet the other day pointing out that that there have been more mass shootings in the US this year the there have been days in the year so far

Not sure if this has been posted already, but I saw a tweet the other day pointing out that that there have been more mass shootings in the US this year the there have been days in the year so far

I read there have been 249 mass shootings in America this year and we are on day 218.

Definitions. Definitions. Definitions.
What the f**k you on about? What the f**k you on about? What the f**k you on about?

Aww I get you now - you're trolling.

It depends on how 'mass shooting' is defined. The numbers being quoted above are notoriously misleading.

13 minutes ago, Serious Business said:

The statement "There have been zero mass shootings in the US this year" is equally correct, depending on what definitions are being used.

What definition are you using?

A mass shooting is an incident where four or more people - not including the shooter(s) - are shot.

Just now, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

If it didn't take place during a liturgical service, it cannot be classified as a 'mass' shooting.

Sorry, I don't make the rules.

What's the staunch equivalent?

Just now, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I think it's a 'service' weapon.

TBH, my next question was if mass shootings could only be carried out with service revolvers.

I thought mass shootings exclusively involved fat people.

Nah, you’re thinking of cereal killers.

Heartening to know my kids would get away with mere fleshwounds and massive psychological trauma 46% of the time if we lived in the US.

Of course, the odds are in favour of them being killed outright but thanks for putting it into perspective.

41 minutes ago, Serious Business said:

There are multiple definitions, but it does seem this is the one that @The Marly 's figure comes from, thanks. The incidents that make up that figure can be seen here: https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting?year=2019 , which also has a nifty interactive map.

Some quick sums reveals that the average 'mass shooting' kills 1.1 people, and noone is killed in 46% of 'mass shootings'.

Poor Peter...

Image result for peter noone

A mass shooting is an incident where four or more people - not including the shooter(s) - are shot.
Yep, that's exactly what a "mass shooting " is defined as.

I wasn't prepared to get into a debate with someone who is prepared to trivialise the murder of thousands of people, many of these children, and have placed the troll on ignore. The first person I've ever placed on ignore.