Yet another US shooting

Surely it's about time anyone outside the US stops giving a shiny shite when some impotent loser with an AR15 decides to kill 20 people. The President and Government are totally in thrall to the NRA and the majority of the population are against having their Second Amendment rights fucked about with, even though a significant number of them are probably going to be shot by some nutter as a direct result. The entire USA should be given a Darwin Award. 

Imagine the reaction if you had even 1/3rd of the body count but it was a Muslim who carried out the attack and used a bomb/vehicle rather than a gun. You would be hearing a lot more about the need for things to change in that scenario anyway.

Utterly bizarre that Walmart has an open carry policy in Texas. Anyone seeing this guy wander in with a rifle wouldn't have batted an eyelid until he started firing at folk. What a fucked up place.

That aged well.

There are notices outside churches in Austin that warn people it’s a crime to carry openly or covertly any weapon into the premises. Fucking churches.

In fairness, the open carry places are few and far between, but its really weird when you go into them.

I go to to Texas every year, and I love the place, but parts of it are very, very warped.

There are notices outside churches in Austin that warn people it’s a crime to carry openly or covertly any weapon into the premises. Fucking churches.

In fairness, the open carry places are few and far between, but its really weird when you go into them.

I go to to Texas every year, and I love the place, but parts of it are very, very warped.
I've always found it strange that a country still largely obsessed with religion including the commandment "thou shalt not kill", are also like "give us the fucking guns!" Absolute mentalists.

15 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I remember talking to an American woman after a MacDonald's got shot up a few years age. She was saying it wouldn't have happened if the customers had been carrying. Asked her if she would even think about taking her children into a MacDonald's full of armed strangers. She changed the subject.

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

"A very short timeline of violence." That's o.k., then.

In roughly a minute the guy's shot dead at least 9 people and injured 27. The whole 'we need more armed and trained guards/officers/teachers/whatever to prevent these attacks argument is farcical enough, but should be completely rubbished when you see how quickly some utter lunatic can do damage.

In roughly a minute the guy's shot dead at least 9 people and injured 27. The whole 'we need more armed and trained guards/officers/teachers/whatever to prevent these attacks argument is farcical enough, but should be completely rubbished when you see how quickly some utter lunatic can do damage.

Also, say this does happen and a member of the public starts shooting back at the terrorist, what if another member of the public starts shooting at the person shooting at the terrorist? I mean, I've never been involved in a shootout, but I'd imagine it's pretty confusing and hectic.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Also, say this does happen and a member of the public starts shooting back at the terrorist, what if another member of the public starts shooting at the person shooting at the terrorist? I mean, I've never been involved in a shootout, but I'd imagine it's pretty confusing and hectic.

Just look for the Muslimy type wearing a turban and death to America t-shirt. Should be easy enough. 

Unless it's a white, right wing American who's been radicalised by reading too much 4chan and reddit. In which case, hope the third member of the public with the military grade assault weapon has better judgement. 

Edited by Louis Litt

On the whole meme about it takes a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun, police and militaries around the world spend large amounts of time and money training people to be able to react to the sudden stress of a combat situation. A fruitcake with an AR15 and counter strike can spend weeks or months keying themselves up to take a gun on a rampage, most will only kill two or three people. Its incredibly hard in the stress of those situations to lay down accurate fire. Obviously the odd psychopath (not an insult but actual clinical psychopaths) can be cold enough to get a high kill count but for the most part their shooting is wild. Someone with a hand gun out shopping suddenly having to switch to ice cold professional marksman to take out a someone aiming at you and your family is a fantasy from too many Jason Statham films. 

Preaching to the choir here but it is an utter delusion to think a normal family man or woman can just whip out a colt and go all Jason Bourne on a shooter. 

17 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Ooo not a fan of this take...

While it's right to point out that those things need more attention, he'd never have done it to do anything other than support the current gun laws.

A lot of fairly smart folk in America feel the same way too. It's slammed into them from day one and it's a hard attitude to shake.