Yet another US shooting

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

When you look at the Chicago stats, it's pretty impressive that @Raidernation has avoided being on either side of a shooting so far.

Especially considering I taught in some of the most violent areas of Chicago.

Idiot of the week award goes to the mayor of Richmond, who, presumably with a straight face, asked "Is nothing sacred any longer? A child should be able to go to their graduation and walk at their graduation and enjoy the accomplishment with their friends and families." 

Look, pal, it's pretty clear that ONE thing is "sacred" across there... The second amendment to your constitution. 

54 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Idiot of the week award goes to the mayor of Richmond, who, presumably with a straight face, asked "Is nothing sacred any longer? A child should be able to go to their graduation and walk at their graduation and enjoy the accomplishment with their friends and families." 

Look, pal, it's pretty clear that ONE thing is "sacred" across there... A highly selective reading of the second amendment to your constitution. 

Fixed

3 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Look, pal, it's pretty clear that ONE thing is "sacred" across there... The second amendment to your constitution. 

Actually, he likes gun control, but can’t do anything more than the Legislature has already rolled out.  Virginia ranked 14th out of 50 for effective gun control” measures, but the U.S. Supreme Court has gutted many choices and option. I suggest the idiot of the week month year decade should be shared by Thomas, Alito, Roberts, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh…with Barrett on hold until she joins her bros.

On 07/06/2023 at 12:33, TxRover said:

Actually, he likes gun control, but can’t do anything more than the Legislature has already rolled out.  Virginia ranked 14th out of 50 for effective gun control” measures, but the U.S. Supreme Court has gutted many choices and option. I suggest the idiot of the week month year decade should be shared by Thomas, Alito, Roberts, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh…with Barrett on hold until she joins her bros.

How about Sotomayor and Kagan? They openly support the 2nd amendment. Oh wait, that's right, it's the Supreme Court's job to defend the Constitution.

A change to the 2nd Amendment won't happen because Democrats own as many guns as Republicans.

44 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

How about Sotomayor and Kagan? They openly support the 2nd amendment. Oh wait, that's right, it's the Supreme Court's job to defend the Constitution.

A change to the 2nd Amendment won't happen because Democrats own as many guns as Republicans.

Sotomayor and Kagan support the 2nd? What are you smoking? They support regulation and the vision of the 2nd as applying in a limited manner, not the expansive crap that Scalia has injected into the veins of the Conservatives.

If you’re relying on Voisine et al. vs United States, where Sotomayor joined Thomas in dissenting, it was simply the matter of the definition of the necessary acts to trigger prohibition of a right to own a gun…arguing that reckless, in a criminal matter, is an in sufficiently high standard. Otherwise, Sotomayor has been solidly anti-expansion of gun rights. In Maloney vs Cuomo, Sotomayor was one of three justices ruling States can control guns.

With regard to Kagan, she was responsible for drafting an Executive Order, under Clinton, restricting the import of semi-automatic rifles, and has a long track record of opposing expanding gun rights. She has spoken about DC vs Heller being improperly decided.

Finally, Republicans own guns at over twice the rate of Democrats…57% to 25%.

Edited by TxRover

So, while bored waiting for our version of Evri to deliver a package…promised at 9AM, delivered at 12:15PM…I was wandering around various YouTube locales and found way too much that makes me despair that the “gun problem” is solvable without a literal revolution in the U.S. of A. There is an entire sub-level of the gun crowd that believes the only possible answer to the current “gun problem” is Heinlein’s “an armed society is a polite society”. There is an absolute rejection of any concept of what seems obvious in the rest of the world, that more guns causes more problems to be resolved with guns. The entrenched nature of this position makes it extremely clear that Australian or Canadian style solutions aren’t viable in the U.S., and it leaves me dubious of the viability of the current U.S. style of government…the open question is what happens and how it plays out.

Denver wins the NBA finals (and therefore become world champions LOL) and excited locals take to the streets. To no ones surprise there is a mass shooting, what is surprising that although 3 are critical no one died.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nine-wounded-in-denver-shooting-near-nuggets-ball-arena-police-say/ 

Thinking about guns generally. I have lived in Scotland's two largest cities (and even whisper it... worked in Dundee for a while.) To the very best of my recollection I have never heard a gunshot "in real life".  I wonder how many of the folk in New York or Los Angeles could say the same?

Just a thought.

First time I ever heard a gunshot was when I was at my first teaching job here, it was on the South side of Chicago. Came from the car park (parking lot) of the school.

Cue lockdown.

1 minute ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Thinking about guns generally. I have lived in Scotland's two largest cities (and even whisper it... worked in Dundee for a while.) To the very best of my recollection I have never heard a gunshot "in real life".  I wonder how many of the folk in New York or Los Angeles could say the same?

Just a thought.

I used to hear them quite regularly down by MetroCenter in Phoenix. Scottsdale and Paradise Valley, not so much.

For those unfamiliar, the former is a lower-class area than the latter.

12 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Just a thought.

Far more likely to hear them in rural than urban areas, probably the opposite in America.

Just now, BTFD said:

I used to hear them quite regularly down by MetroCenter in Phoenix. Scottsdale and Paradise Valley, not so much.

For those unfamiliar, the former is a lower-class area than the latter.

Years ago I was in Phoenix and was watching the news coverage of a shoot out at an apartment. Turned out it was just round the corner from the hotel. The hotel was on the junction of W Greenway road and the I17 just north of the MetroCentre