Yet another US shooting

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

Yeah, given the scale at which people own and use guns in America tbh is banning them a realistic policy? For that you at least need a majority willing population and they would never get that.

if the USA don’t care when their kids get killed, then honestly they will never get to a point where banning guns is possible and happens.

TBH, you need a super-majority of legislators, not voters. As it stands, perhaps 35-40% of voters would ban guns, 70% want to restrict them, but the legislators won’t vote to do so.

Instead of trying to wrestle the guns off them they could start by taxing them out of common ownership? Make their licenses have to renew every year and at a massive price. Leave alone the hunters and gun ranges.

They'd still have their stupid right to bear arms just not anywhere near as accessible, I doubt this would fix the issue but surely it would greatly reduce the circulation and therefore minimise the mass shootings. 

Edited by RuMoore

8 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

20 people shot in Chicago this weekend. It hardly makes the news it’s so common there.

I’m surprised with it being a deep blue state.

Some folk are obviously trying to turn it red.

2 hours ago, RuMoore said:

Instead of trying to wrestle the guns off them they could start by taxing them out of common ownership? Make their licenses have to renew every year and at a massive price. Leave alone the hunters and gun ranges.

They'd still have their stupid right to bear arms just not anywhere near as accessible, I doubt this would fix the issue but surely it would greatly reduce the circulation and therefore minimise the mass shootings. 

But if you haven't a register of owners in the first place how do you do that?

14 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

Why not just ban all automatic weapons? Hunters don't need bump stock A15s to shoot Bambi or Turkey Lurky.

Automatic weapons are already strictly regulated and have literally never been used in a civilian mass shooting.

Bump stocks were banned in 2019, under Trump, by ATF Executive Action. A Texas gentlemen filed suit, and won. Now, within the 5th District (Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi) bump stocks are legal again, and the ATF missed the appeal deadline.

8 hours ago, RuMoore said:

There is no license to own a firearm, and there are very limited records of sales that are not legally useable to trace ownership until and unless the weapon is used in a crime.

Honestly, people would deny still having the weapon (I sold it at the gun show last month…no receipt is required) and just hide them or bury them in earth tubes.

31 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

DeSantis looking to increase tourist revenue by letting you know you can shoot each other’s kids without consequence, should your child’s mates be annoying wee b*****ds. 

It’s likely to get interesting as tourists start dying in larger numbers.

Still wondering why posting facts about gun violence and laws in ‘Merica draws two red dots.

5 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

DeSantis looking to increase tourist revenue by letting you know you can shoot each other’s kids without consequence, should your child’s mates be annoying wee b*****ds. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/apr/11/ron-desantis-florida-gun-control-permitless-carry

"Even the permitless carry proposal has sparked frustration among gun rights activists, who say the legislation does not go far enough. Those activists instead want a law similar to the one used in Texas, which allows residents to openly carry a gun in public without a permit instead of limiting the policy to concealed weapons. DeSantis’s failure to enact an open permitless carry law reflects “political impotence”, as one gun rights supporter put it at the committee hearing last month."

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

I’ve holidayed & worked in the states but since the advent of Trump & the dramatic increase in the extreme right getting higher than deserved attention & airtime, I really don’t think I’ll ever go back.

It’s the complete lack of self-awareness & the desperation to cling on to an ancient bit of paper. Yeah, the constitution made some sense back when it was written but the 2nd amendment holds no place in modern society.  They have the highest per capita prison population anywhere, at any time in history. There are mass shootings on a daily basis, you have politicians sending fucking Christmas cards with all their young children armed to the teeth, it’s an absolute shithouse of a country. 
They are so concentrated on America, to start with, it might be helpful if they started educating their children about alternative societies available on the planet, then limiting home news to 90% of their broadcasts, I’ve watched US news and I can only recall one item from outwith their borders which happened to be a Palestinian dispute on the West Bank & you can imagine how that was slanted. 
No offence to our American dwelling or indeed American posters, but you live in a country that is either full of fuckwits or a country that is willing to put up with a minority of fuckwits. 

14 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

No offence to our American dwelling or indeed American posters, but you live in a country that is either full of fuckwits or a country that is willing to put up with a minority of fuckwits. 

None taken here. Escape plan is in motion.

7 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

But if you haven't a register of owners in the first place how do you do that?

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Automatic weapons are already strictly regulated and have literally never been used in a civilian mass shooting.

Bump stocks were banned in 2019, under Trump, by ATF Executive Action. A Texas gentlemen filed suit, and won. Now, within the 5th District (Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi) bump stocks are legal again, and the ATF missed the appeal deadline.

There is no license to own a firearm, and there are very limited records of sales that are not legally useable to trace ownership until and unless the weapon is used in a crime.

Honestly, people would deny still having the weapon (I sold it at the gun show last month…no receipt is required) and just hide them or bury them in earth tubes.

It’s likely to get interesting as tourists start dying in larger numbers.

Still wondering why posting facts about gun violence and laws in ‘Merica draws two red dots.

Today I learned you don't even need a license to own a gun in Murica. 

I really don't follow US politics so forgive my naivety but is licencing of guns seen as too far for the gun lobbyists. Is there not certain background checks or is this just something that differs state to state? 

I feel like surely that's the most sensible realistic starting point.

Edited by RuMoore

14 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

Today I learned you don't even need a license to own a gun in Murica. 

I really don't follow US politics so forgive my naivety but is licencing of guns seen as too far for the gun lobbyists. Is there not certain background checks or is this just something that differs state to state? 

State to state. Illinois you need to apply to the state for a FOID, which lets you have a permit - it’s meant to take 8 weeks but aparently been up to 6 months recently and the ammosexuals are conspirating that Springfield is doing it on purpose rather than just local government is useless(good on them if it’s the former) - and then concealed carry is awarded after training. Some states have literally zero. 

ETA - I also meant to add part of Chicago's issue is we're surrounded by two of the most lax gun control states in the nation; you can be in either Wisconsin or Indiana within an hour. Also the city of Chicago did ban handguns on 1982, however that ban was overturned by the Supreme Court in 2010. Apparently a majority of the cartel violence in Mexico is now conducted with American-supplied weapons due to Mexico's stricter gun laws. This literally just popped up on Twitter, which was timeous. 

Edited by carpetmonster
2010, not 2012