Yet another US shooting

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

How many of these tragic shootings need to happen before they realise that letting people have firearms is a terrible idea?

Do they really value the freedom to own firearms over the lives of children?

I'd imagine we are long, long past the stage where the penny will drop so it won't really matter how many more such events happen.  

As for the 2nd question - they obviously do value their freedom over the lives of children.  Maybe not over their own children though, but the numbers who have had to experience that tragedy is not large enough to make any significant impact on the general population's conscience.

Where I am currently, guns are allowed but I have only ever been 'exposed' to someone using one and that was at a birthday party as a kind of salute to celebrate - it made me most uncomfortable I'll admit.  You just don't see folk here with one (save security guards etc) and certainly we don't have the kind of shootings seen in the USA. I am on an ex-pat forum where the majority of members are American and almost to a man they have major hard-ons for guns to the extent that gun chat (and Trump chat as well) is banned. It's a common question for new posters who enquire about life in the Philippines to ask about gun ownership and such - the retort from the forum mods is usually along the lines of keep that shit in the US where it belongs (foreigners can't own guns here anyway). In short, letting people have firearms in itself isn't a problem, the problem seems to be letting Americans have them. 

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

How many of these tragic shootings need to happen before they realise that letting people have firearms is a terrible idea?

Do they really value the freedom to own firearms over the lives of children?

Basically until a high profile pro-Gun Republican politician or a high profile NRA official sees their kids murdered at school. 

7 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'd imagine we are long, long past the stage where the penny will drop so it won't really matter how many more such events happen.  

As for the 2nd question - they obviously do value their freedom over the lives of children.  Maybe not over their own children though, but the numbers who have had to experience that tragedy is not large enough to make any significant impact on the general population's conscience.

Where I am currently, guns are allowed but I have only ever been 'exposed' to someone using one and that was at a birthday party as a kind of salute to celebrate - it made me most uncomfortable I'll admit.  You just don't see folk here with one (save security guards etc) and certainly we don't have the kind of shootings seen in the USA. I am on an ex-pat forum where the majority of members are American and almost to a man they have major hard-ons for guns to the extent that gun chat (and Trump chat as well) is banned. It's a common question for new posters who enquire about life in the Philippines to ask about gun ownership and such - the retort from the forum mods is usually along the lines of keep that shit in the US where it belongs (foreigners can't own guns here anyway). In short, letting people have firearms in itself isn't a problem, the problem seems to be letting Americans have them. 

I don't understand the hard-on that a lot of people have for guns at all. They're not fun gadgets or toys. They're deadly weapons. Why would anyone want one?

If someone wanted to own a weapon - regardless of the legality of weapons in their specific location - I would be highly suspicious of their reasons for wanting one.

2 minutes ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

Basically until a high profile pro-Gun Republican politician or a high profile NRA official sees their kids murdered at school. 

9 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Maybe not over their own children though.

Yep. 

13 minutes ago, hk blues said:

That seems to be a big part of the problem. While having guns involved massively increases the body count, they are part of the symptoms, rather than the cause.

In the UK we don't have mass stabbings occurring on a daily basis. There seems to be something else at a cultural or societal level in the US which is leading to these levels of attacks happening in the first place.

2 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I don't understand the hard-on that a lot of people have for guns at all. They're not fun gadgets or toys. They're deadly weapons. Why would anyone want one?

If someone wanted to own a weapon - regardless of the legality of weapons in their specific location - I would be highly suspicious of their reasons for wanting one.

I guess we don't get it as we're not American and don't understand the psyche around it - at least that's what they usually say when I ask about it. 

As I said in my post, I was uncomfortable around the gun and by uncomfortable I mean frightened to some extent.  This wasn't a pistol or a revolver, it was a f***-off real gun.  It was just kept under the bed as well!  I cannot imagine living in a country where that was the norm.

52 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I don't know about that, given the popularity of computer games involving shooting people. I get that it's a different level and killing people is usually a bad thing. I think lots of people would like a "shot" of a gun. There's even tourist attractions that let you play with machine guns etc.

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Yes. That is the most unequivocal of all yesses. They do.

This is not even a freedom though - it's a fucking falsehood. On January 6th 2021 the very reason the right to bear arms was introduced, was severely tested. The right to bear arms is essentially to allow the people to rise against a tyrannical Government, so in the face of what they deemed a 'tyrannical Government', they descended on Capitol Hill, armed to the teeth and were both condemned and absolutely bitch-slapped for doing so. They could take up their arms against the US Army/Govt all they like. No matter how many of them there are, they'd be churned down into a red paste within seconds.

There is no limit on the number of these tragedies - in fact they will view the reasonable and proportionate response to the increasing number of incidents as 'more guns'.

The second amendment is not about a freedom to own a gun.  It is about a responsibility to own a gun in order to protect the new republic from enemy forces and protect each state for every other state.  The USA started off without an army, navy or air force and relied on a state militia of all its citizens for protection.

5 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Because it was marketed to them by the plutocrats who run their society. Already wealthy men saw an opportunity to become even wealthier, to open a new market. Selling guns to random fuckers. Sell them in Wallmart. Tell Americans they need guns. Americans will oblige because they're a thoroughly obedient people, even forced as children to recite a pledge of allegiance/obedience. Implant in their their mind a mythical notion of "freedom" then use that association to sell them all the crap you can. Guns = freedom. Even though guns have the sole purpose of enacting violence and violence is the ultimate tyranny.

As Fullerene pointed out above, this philosophical argument using their constitution is a (relatively) recent development. From the 1950s, weapons companies began lobbying to get rid of the laws standing between them and profit. One trick they used was to reimagine the meaning of the second ammendment.

It can be difficult to accurately tell but the percentage of US households that own firearms has reduced significantly since the 1970s and 80s. Far more people than regularly used firearms for hunting as well. Not sure if many people had automatic rifles in those days.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

It can be difficult to accurately tell but the percentage of US households that own firearms has reduced significantly since the 1970s and 80s. Far more people than regularly used firearms for hunting as well. Not sure if many people had automatic rifles in those days.

44% of Americans households now have a gun, but those households own about 7 or 8 on average. So, much like everything else, a bit over half of folk are normal and then the other lot are a shower of c***s. Correlates almost exactly to the Tory vote at the last General Election (43.8%), interestingly enough. 

22 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

What chance do they have of ever getting this under control, when these are the leaders.  America does know that this shit is not normal, right?

If you were to photoshop this picture replacing the guns with machetes or knives or knuckle dusters or maces, the police would be calling round to take them all away.  Bizarre that guns are not seen in the same way.

2 weeks ago was the 27th anniversary of Dunblane. There is plenty to say about John Major and Tony Blair, but they both took steps as PM to ensure nothing like that ever happened again.

Since that day, there have been 0 school shootings in the UK. There have been 398 in the US. In the two weeks since the 27th anniversary, there have been 3 school shootings in the US.

I don't really have a point here, at least not one that we don't already know, but those numbers are absolutely astonishing.