Yet another US shooting

5 hours ago, itzdrk said:

I didn't want to start a new thread and it's not in the US.  

Theres just been a shooting in Hamburg at a Jehovah's witness center 

Screenshot_20230309-215329.png

Screenshot_20230309-214731.png

Honestly surprised there aren’t more Mormons and Jehovahs Witnesses shot in the U.S., for what it’s worth.

The American coverage of the shooting was bizzare, they hastened to add that mass shooting are rarer there than in America and point to 2 mass shootings in 3 years in Germany (I would have thought there would have been more) and America is already over 110 mass shootings in 2023.

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

"Residents living nearby were warned to to leave their homes among the ongoing operation."

They're maybe trying to up the tally...

Have to admit, if the German police were advising a bunch of people to proceed to a single location, it be just a wee bit paranoid.

Dateline Houston: 4 y-o shot by 3 y-o sibling…”will determine if any adults will face charges”…I should damn well hope so!

“Prosecutors will determine whether any adults will face charges after an unsupervised 3-year-old accidentally shot and killed her 4-year-old sister at their home in Houston, authorities said.

Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez called the Sunday shooting a “very preventable” situation.

“It seems like another tragic story of a child getting access to a firearm and hurting someone else,” Gonzalez said at a news conference. 

Police say the investigation is in the preliminary phase.”

"Everyone's impacted, a community's impacted when a child loses their life in this way," Gonzalez said.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Dateline Houston: 4 y-o shot by 3 y-o sibling…”will determine if any adults will face charges”…I should damn well hope so!

“Prosecutors will determine whether any adults will face charges after an unsupervised 3-year-old accidentally shot and killed her 4-year-old sister at their home in Houston, authorities said.

Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez called the Sunday shooting a “very preventable” situation.

“It seems like another tragic story of a child getting access to a firearm and hurting someone else,” Gonzalez said at a news conference. 

Police say the investigation is in the preliminary phase.”

"Everyone's impacted, a community's impacted when a child loses their life in this way," Gonzalez said.

But guns, wooooooooooo!!!!!

6 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Out of interest, do you own a firearm? 

Complex question.

After an incident in 1991 where a drunken ex-husband of a neighbour was wandering between the four doors in the entry vestibule, punching holes in the doors with a knife, I decided that’s since most apartments have limited secondary exits, I’d feel better with  a gun. I then also got licensed for concealed carry when allowed, but very seldom carried. I feel that if you are going somewhere where you feel you need to be armed, most of the time to consider if you really need to go there. I really got it to be able to carry a gun in my vehicle when traveling without worrying about things like complex rules, especially as more states agreed to reciprocity.

Recent events have left me without a handgun (my choice to try to make a person happier, and out of concerns the police had with regard to it being present given another persons behavior), and now back in an apartment (my choice to avoid violence). I will be reacquiring a handgun once the financial and legal situation stabilizes, but having it now would be yet another thing she could argue/complain about, even it it’s complete bullshite.

If there was reasonable enforcement of current firearms rules and regulations, and about 300-350 million less firearms in circulation in the U.S., I’d probably be fine with a solid bat or such. However, waking up to a drunken maniac punching holes in random doors on the first floor entries, with a knife, and screaming about killing Monica (she was in one of the the second floor apartments, a handicapped ex-cop, waiting with a gun) makes you consider what your options were. My options were sit still and wait for the police (who, per Supreme Court decisions, have no obligation to protect you, I kid you not), open the door and confront him (stupid), or try to exit a window (two within 25 feet of the vestibule and in sight of him and one directly next to the door he was stabbing, also stupid). Suddenly a bat didn’t seem as viable an option, as it was also unclear if he also had a gun or friends. The cops piled out of a few squad cars a couple of minutes later (a minute is a very long time in this circumstance) and tackled the maniac…the doors took a week to fix, so I was reminded every day till then.

On 15/03/2023 at 01:21, TxRover said:

Roughly 50% of U.S. gun owners don’t store their weapons securely, most saying they fear the weapon would not be available if needed. F**king mental…you have kids and you leave the gun and ammunition lying around.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2801915

That is part of the problem, isn't it? The whole idea is that people are terrified they'll need a firearm in the event that "a bad guy with a gun" enters their home and tries to shoot them/their family. But how do you keep a firearm within easy reach and useful in such a situation, without endangering the people you're worried about protecting? And is it even worthwhile when accidents and unwarranted home invasions by the authorities are more likely to hurt them?

My son's a bit dismayed by the horrific state that the UK's building itself into, and is thinking about moving abroad in the future, but thankfully the US seems like an even worse option to him, despite knowing he could apply for citizenship if he wanted.

Just now, BTFD said:

That is part of the problem, isn't it? The whole idea is that people are terrified they'll need a firearm in the event that "a bad guy with a gun" enters their home and tries to shoot them/their family. But how do you keep a firearm within easy reach and useful in such a situation, without endangering the people you're worried about protecting? And is it even worthwhile when accidents and unwarranted home invasions by the authorities are more likely to hurt them?

My son's a bit dismayed by the horrific state that the UK's building itself into, and is thinking about moving abroad in the future, but thankfully the US seems like an even worse option to him, despite knowing he could apply for citizenship if he wanted.

Gun vault. Fingerprint or code, gun inside…the problem is do you keep locked and loaded or gun and ammo together…one is slower but safer, as most children can’t load a semi-auto due to spring strength. Too many people have a freaking gun under a cushion or pillow, loaded!

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

Gun vault. Fingerprint or code, gun inside…the problem is do you keep locked and loaded or gun and ammo together…one is slower but safer, as most children can’t load a semi-auto due to spring strength. Too many people have a freaking gun under a cushion or pillow, loaded!

Probably poor people, I'd imagine. That all sounds fucking expensive. Presumably you'd need a gun vault in each room too - having it next to the bed when you're having dinner and the Eighties-style multi-ethnic gang bursts through the door would be completely useless.

Unless you're Die Hard, of course!

tumblr_p96b079HSv1ubf88so1_400.gif

1 minute ago, BTFD said:

Probably poor people, I'd imagine. That all sounds fucking expensive. Presumably you'd need a gun vault in each room too - having it next to the bed when you're having dinner and the Eighties-style multi-ethnic gang bursts through the door would be completely useless.

Unless you're Die Hard, of course!

tumblr_p96b079HSv1ubf88so1_400.gif

Nope, keep it by the bed…if they’re willing to kick in a door midday, you’re overmatched anyway.