Yet another US shooting

2 minutes ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

I think the usual procedure here is:

• Child waving gun about the place
  • Police arrive dressed like they've just fallen out of a COD MWII multiplayer map
  • Child is white AND in a middle class suburb - DEESCALATE SITUATION
  • Child is a minority and/or lives in poor neighbourhood - shoot the child
  • Walk around wearing aviators looking hard as f**k
  • Get storm of criticism in media
  • Disciplinary action
  • Police Union get involved and officers actually get promoted

Can't argue with any of that - at least no Met Officers would be involved or a few more scenarios  would need to be added.  

If I wasn't allergic to the shitty Memphis air, I'd probably not bother going outside anyway. In the last few months we've had a shooting rampage (where I ended up locked down in a restaurant with a magician), a kidnapping/murder, bunch of carjackings, and a few more attempted kidnappings. The crime numbers are apparently down, but it doesn't feel like it.

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I heard today that for the first time, on any random day, there's more likely to be a mass killing than not, in the USA. 

Not buying that because of the definitions. There is, on average, (only!) a mass shooting a month now in the U.S., when defining the mass shooting by the FBI standard (as of 2013, three or more dead in one shooting/location). As for gun violence…the U.S. had 45,222 gun deaths in 2020 (most recent data). Of those, 54% were suicide, 43% murder and 3% other (accidental, police shooting, etc).

So, 43% of 45,222 is 19,445, divided by 365 is 53+ a day…easy to bet at least one involves two parties, especially as a murder-suicide would be 2 of some 110 deaths that day.

3 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

LA County Sheriff has described the suspect as a male Asian, who fled the scene. 

He also mentioned the suspect is "outstanding"

10 dead and 10 wounded is quite the tally...

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I heard today that for the first time, on any random day, there's more likely to be a mass killing than not, in the USA. 

10 hours ago, TxRover said:

Not buying that because of the definitions. There is, on average, (only!) a mass shooting a month now in the U.S., when defining the mass shooting by the FBI standard (as of 2013, three or more dead in one shooting/location). As for gun violence…the U.S. had 45,222 gun deaths in 2020 (most recent data). Of those, 54% were suicide, 43% murder and 3% other (accidental, police shooting, etc).

So, 43% of 45,222 is 19,445, divided by 365 is 53+ a day…easy to bet at least one involves two parties, especially as a murder-suicide would be 2 of some 110 deaths that day.

The figure I heard must have for mass shootings rather than mass killings.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/06/02/mass-shootings-in-2022/