Yet another US shooting

16 hours ago, TxRover said:

Just making the point that there is no standard. The three killings standard is widely derided as trying to make headlines and having been created by Mother Jones. The real fight is over four or five victims, excluding the murder. I think society is being whooshed here, overall…the fact that it’s even being debated that way.

Other than for the purposes of sensational media headlines, why does it matter whether it's 3, 4 or 5 or 10 as a qualifier?   The only time I would say mass should be used is where the actual number is unknown or indeterminable. 

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Other than for the purposes of sensational media headlines, why does it matter whether it's 3, 4 or 5 or 10 as a qualifier?   The only time I would say mass should be used is where the actual number is unknown or indeterminable. 

It’s unfortunate that your statement is correct, and covers the real reason. Anyone, and everyone, especially those with an agenda, likes to define things in a way favorable to telling their (version of a) story. Unless there is a definition of a phrase, you get this sliding scale that is used to play with statistics and such. It was this idea that I was using to poke a bit of fun at the uses of the phrase mass shooting in this thread…where it is generally used in the most basic manner and without real agenda.

I guess, without seeing the hyperbolic discussions and arguments about the phrase “mass shooting” and what does and doesn’t qualify, it missed the mark. It’s an interesting benchmark despite that, perhaps suggesting a little more sanity.

12 minutes ago, TxRover said:

It’s unfortunate that your statement is correct, and covers the real reason. Anyone, and everyone, especially those with an agenda, likes to define things in a way favorable to telling their (version of a) story. Unless there is a definition of a phrase, you get this sliding scale that is used to play with statistics and such. It was this idea that I was using to poke a bit of fun at the uses of the phrase mass shooting in this thread…where it is generally used in the most basic manner and without real agenda.

I guess, without seeing the hyperbolic discussions and arguments about the phrase “mass shooting” and what does and doesn’t qualify, it missed the mark. It’s an interesting benchmark despite that, perhaps suggesting a little more sanity.

I assume, maybe wrongly, that the definition of mass in the USA is linked to some kind of law, punishment etc etc hence the desire to put a number to it, and the different parameters set by different states.  I make this assumption because why else would a number such as 3 (or 4 and 5 IMO) be considered as mass as they are relatively small as numbers in themselves.  

5 hours ago, hk blues said:

I assume, maybe wrongly, that the definition of mass in the USA is linked to some kind of law, punishment etc etc hence the desire to put a number to it, and the different parameters set by different states.  I make this assumption because why else would a number such as 3 (or 4 and 5 IMO) be considered as mass as they are relatively small as numbers in themselves.  

Nope. 3 is Mother Jones news standard, doesn’t include killer…4 is FBI, but may or may not include the shooter and has limits on location(s)…many news groups use 4, excluding killer, but some include..others say 5, with killer, some say without…there is no statutory definition.

12 hours ago, TxRover said:

Nope. 3 is Mother Jones news standard, doesn’t include killer…4 is FBI, but may or may not include the shooter and has limits on location(s)…many news groups use 4, excluding killer, but some include..others say 5, with killer, some say without…there is no statutory definition.

At least the lawmakers have got it right then - if there's no material difference in what is and isn't a mass shooting in terms of punishment then why categorise it at all?

As an aside, In Japan, the death penalty can be given for 2 or more murders.  I would assume they don't have to be at the same time but who knows?

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

At least the lawmakers have got it right then - if there's no material difference in what is and isn't a mass shooting in terms of punishment then why categorise it at all?

As an aside, In Japan, the death penalty can be given for 2 or more murders.  I would assume they don't have to be at the same time but who knows?

In Japan it can be given for an aggravated murder conviction, even just one…plus treason, military insubordination and kidnapping resulting in death.

On 16/11/2022 at 13:13, TxRover said:

There's so much to think about. It would put you off going on a killing spree.

9 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

Horrendous shooting at a gay bar last night in Colorado Springs. 5 dead and about 15 injured, they apparently got the gun off him or could have been wose.

The republicans acting shocked and sad when they have been ramping up division for years now.

6 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

The store manager apparently. Shot himself after his rampage. f**k me what a country emoji55.png

If you’ve been to a Walmart in some areas, you might understand his rage…of course, he mainly capped employees, so maybe it was at the direction of Walmart Corporate. We won’t know until we see if the highest paid employees got it.

25 minutes ago, TxRover said:

If you’ve been to a Walmart in some areas, you might understand his rage…of course, he mainly capped employees, so maybe it was at the direction of Walmart Corporate. We won’t know until we see if the highest paid employees got it.

Be a drop bin for bits of wood and nails to make caskets out of next to the one where you leave canned food for the staff out front.