Yet another US shooting

59 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

The definition of radicalised Incel who's disappeared down the online rabbit hole.               https://www.thedailybeast.com/robert-bobby-crimo-person-of-interest-in-highland-park-parade-massacre-is-rapper-with-creepy-videos.

There are probably as many heidbangers per head of population over here, but they dont have easy access to guns.

Its boring now, they should just stop reporting individual atrocities on the news and just have a weekly counter showing new and total deaths.

American authorities could stop this madness at a stroke, but even those who say they are "pro gun control" are not advocating anything as deep and wide enough to make a dent.

As for the people, if you elect these muppets, then you are getting  what you deserve (same as here tbh).

There are probably as many heidbangers per head of population over here, but they dont have easy access to guns.

Definitely, different story if you could just wander into Tesco or Asda and buy an automatic rifle here, due to the fact they can't they just have to settle with making racist comments on facebook.

58 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Its boring now, they should just stop reporting individual atrocities on the news and just have a weekly counter showing new and total deaths.

American authorities could stop this madness at a stroke, but even those who say they are "pro gun control" are not advocating anything as deep and wide enough to make a dent.

As for the people, if you elect these muppets, then you are getting  what you deserve (same as here tbh).

The bigger problem with the States outside the obvious how freely assault weapons are available is the lack of support structure for folk with mental health problems and fall back for people going through hard times. America is such a polarised place with haves and have nots. You loose your job they'll maybe give you some food stamps. You don't have insurance you'll get everything taken off you if you fall ill. It's dog eat dog on steroids. My cousin's man got cancer, once his works insurance ran out he had a crowd funder and was basically sent home to die. For how shit things have got here under the Tories I don't think we'll get to the stage of the US. This lack of empathy leads to hopelessness and I think that's why they have such problems with gun and crime in general. Folk who feel the world has nothing to offer are easily radicalised.

17 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

The bigger problem with the States outside the obvious how freely assault weapons are available is the lack of support structure for folk with mental health problems and fall back for people going through hard times. America is such a polarised place with haves and have nots. You loose your job they'll maybe give you some food stamps. You don't have insurance you'll get everything taken off you if you fall ill. It's dog eat dog on steroids. My cousin's man got cancer, once his works insurance ran out he had a crowd funder and was basically sent home to die. For how shit things have got here under the Tories I don't think we'll get to the stage of the US. This lack of empathy leads to hopelessness and I think that's why they have such problems with gun and crime in general. Folk who feel the world has nothing to offer are easily radicalised.

To some degree, it's not so much that the USA is an outlier in some of the stuff mentioned above, rather that the UK is currently probably in the better than average group.  Where I am you get zilch support from the government and healthcare is realistically only available if you can afford it.  I just forked out for the MIL's cataract - the alternative was her going blind at some point - that's the reality in many countries. 

13 minutes ago, hk blues said:

To some degree, it's not so much that the USA is an outlier in some of the stuff mentioned above, rather that the UK is currently probably in the better than average group.  Where I am you get zilch support from the government and healthcare is realistically only available if you can afford it.  I just forked out for the MIL's cataract - the alternative was her going blind at some point - that's the reality in many countries. 

Erm no, the USA is absolutely an outlier among the world's most developed countries. 

9 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I was more talking about the West/Europe as more comparabile countries to the US in economic/political/cultural similarities. I find out in Asia there is a far more solid community/family support system in place to assist folk through tough times and a lot less isolation.

2 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

I was more talking about the West/Europe as more comparabile countries to the US in economic/political/cultural similarities. I find out in Asia there is a far more solid community/family support system in place to assist folk through tough times and a lot less isolation.

To some extent yes, and certainly much more than we'd find in the UK, but the stark fact that longevity in the Philippines (where I am) is 71 years which is a good 10 years compared to the UK perhaps suggests that that support mechanism is not necessarily working all that well.  Of course, longevity isn't the be all and end all but it's an indicator.

4 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

The definition of radicalised Incel who's disappeared down the online rabbit hole.               https://www.thedailybeast.com/robert-bobby-crimo-person-of-interest-in-highland-park-parade-massacre-is-rapper-with-creepy-videos.

His social-media footprint indicated that he is a video-game enthusiast and professional wrestling fan.

Ban them.

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

You have introduced a qualifier - naught boy!

It's an entirely relevant qualifier. The United States has been the world's most dominant economic power for a full century. Stating that 'well things are actually worse in some shithole like the Philippines' is not a credible comparison then. 

In the OECD comprising 38 countries around the world - almost entirely under the umbrella of Western capitalism - the USA absolutely stinks the place out in terms of healthcare, social inequality and rampant homicide/gun violence rates. That's the relevant benchmark. 

9 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

Not an across the board ban. Keep frogger and pac-man and just ban folding chairs, ladders and lycra that will keep wrestlings gas at a peep.

Many studies show that frogger players turn into jaywalkers.  Ban it.

17 hours ago, virginton said:

It's an entirely relevant qualifier. The United States has been the world's most dominant economic power for a full century. Stating that 'well things are actually worse in some shithole like the Philippines' is not a credible comparison then. 

In the OECD comprising 38 countries around the world - almost entirely under the umbrella of Western capitalism - the USA absolutely stinks the place out in terms of healthcare, social inequality and rampant homicide/gun violence rates. That's the relevant benchmark. 

Aren't you from Greenock?

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Aren't you from Greenock?

I was meant to get a ferry to Zamboanga a few years back but it was classed as a no go area and unsafe to travel. I've never had these sort of alerts getting the Clyde Clipper or Granny Kempock on the Clyde riviera. Mind you Dutertes drug policy could have worked wonders in Inverclyde.

Edited by dirty dingus

9 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

I was meant to get a ferry to Zamboanga a few years back but it was classed as a no go area and unsafe to travel. I've never had these sort of alerts getting the Clyde Clipper or Granny Kempock on the Clyde riviera. Mind you Dutertes drug policy could have worked wonders in Inverclyde.

Never been to Mindanao t.b.h. and no plan to either.  Unfortunately, I have been to Greenock albeit only once - like most folk,

These "Your shitey place is more shitey than my shitey place" chats are great!