Yet another US shooting

52 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Apparently the second amendment covers weapons that have military use, so guns etc are OK but knuckle dusters, swords etc aren’t.

I do wonder what would happen if (when) some survivalist, Waco/Ruby Ridge types get the money together to buy an armed drone. TB2s cost $1m which I’m sure some of them could rustle up. The missiles and control systems will cost a lot more.

I'm sure they could rig up a $50 Walmart drone with a hand grenade. The ones IS used in Mosul were pretty basic but effective, apparently. 

24 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm sure they could rig up a $50 Walmart drone with a hand grenade. The ones IS used in Mosul were pretty basic but effective, apparently. 

I look forward to the guest IS speaker at the next NRA convention

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Police called in Tulsa after a man carrying an AR15 rifle was seen walking in town. Turns out he hadn’t committed a crime under Oklahomas open carry laws.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/broken-arrow-open-carry-incident-raises-law-enforcement-questions/article_a5f4a2d8-edb3-11ec-806d-bb938b4a6b13.html

He was arrested for having brass knuckles though.

Every county in Oklahoma voted for Trump.  Need I say more.

Wait, what? The US Supreme Court has struck down a NY law that had restrictions on firearms outside the home, thereby making it easier to carry concealed and loaded handguns in public . 

Stetsons and spurs not yet a legal requirement.

11 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Wait, what? The US Supreme Court has struck down a NY law that had restrictions on firearms outside the home, thereby making it easier to carry concealed and loaded handguns in public . 

Yep, the steady movement rightward on gun regulations continues. The “hallowed” Second Amendment references a “well regulated militia”, but since the Heller decision, that has been (legal) irrelevant. The rabidly pro-gun caucuses that can tolerate no regulation of guns continue to argue that the original text of the Second Amendment is important, other than that militia bit, and the fact that the weapons available in 1787 were an order of magnitude or two less efficient at killing than todays weapons.

The simple fact is that AR-15’s are “sexy” in part at least a little because they have been used to blow people (including school children) to bits. The black plastic bullet shooting phallus crowd won’t admit it, but knowing how much damage an AR-15 can inflict is a key reason they fight to keep them available. There is no reason a 10 round magazine wouldn’t be sufficient for all legal civilian uses of an AR-15, but restricting these weapons below military capacity has proven to be dam near impossible because “BUT…”.

On 22/06/2022 at 15:45, ICTChris said:

Police called in Tulsa after a man carrying an AR15 rifle was seen walking in town. Turns out he hadn’t committed a crime under Oklahomas open carry laws.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/broken-arrow-open-carry-incident-raises-law-enforcement-questions/article_a5f4a2d8-edb3-11ec-806d-bb938b4a6b13.html

He was arrested for having brass knuckles though.

Actually thought that sheriff gave a very good account of the nuances and frustrations they felt around the open carry laws. Especially from a sheriff in OK. These gun fetishists are absolutely choking to be challenged, all a bunch of wee vl p***ks. 

2 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

I’m surprised that it was 6-3.  What is needed is for the federal government to change the law(s) on guns.  We all know that there’s no indication of serious changes but it’s at government level that it needs to be done.

17 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

I did see someone point out the obvious that the second amendment makes no reference about self defence.

”A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

It was written before the US had a standing army

The Militia is essentially the National Guard, which is well regulated unlike your average gun buyer from Walmart 

Edited by Clown Job

11 hours ago, Clown Job said:

the second amendment makes no reference about self defence.

”A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

That's the bit that gets me. The selective reading of a historical document that has become another of the Great American Myths. It's the go to response whenever another atrocity happens, the  catch-all 'the right to bear arms'. 

7 hours ago, Empty It said:

Just like religious nuts and their bibles?

The Bible is not a historical document...................................more like pre-science fiction which has served as a metaphorical template for much of modern literature and film-making.

Thank you.

Anyone got any figures comparing the number of babies aborted each year in the US compared to the number unlawfully killed by firearms?
I’m curious to understand at what age your life is not to be protected anymore.

Are you wanting to know how many newborns are killed by firearms or just the general pop?

4 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Are you wanting to know how many newborns are killed by firearms or just the general pop?

Breakdown by age would be good.  We could then see where the lines intersect and reach a conclusion.

My gut tells me that before the time you leave high school America no longer gives a f**k about protecting your life.  It wouldn’t surprise me if it was significantly before you left high school.

Breakdown by age would be good.  We could then see where the lines intersect and reach a conclusion.
My gut tells me that before the time you leave high school America no longer gives a f**k about protecting your life.  It wouldn’t surprise me if it was significantly before you left high school.

I’d wager they don’t give a f**k about you at all; numerous pre-high school shootings show that.