Yet another US shooting

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

😁 Nope, I was going to games at Ibrox with my dad well before I was 12.  Being an atheist made me realise that the whole Ireland, Masons, Sash, "National" (actually, Royalty) Anthem, stuff so beloved by some of the fans, is so utterly ridiculous. 

Trust me, it IS possible to be a Rangers fan without all that nonsense. 

On the shootings in America, I saw on the news that there have been the usual "thoughts and prayers" gatherings. I suppose holding these events is easier than actually DOING something. 

Amen brother.

20 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

US police departments have more weapons and hardware than some countries.  Still I'm sure giving a primary school teacher a concealed weapon will sort it!  Mrs Timpson, who teaches eight year olds, will be adept at blowing away some manical, gun-toting shooter.

3 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

I'm sure every goon who says I need a gun to protect my family doesn't realise the amount of heads gone that having firearms in the home can bring.

The risk of homicide goes up for both males and females in homes with guns, but women are more at risk, he said. Only about 1 in 4 murder victims is a woman, but women account for about 3 out of 4 victims of intimate partner homicide,

these findings further suggest that gun ownership is associated with mortality and that the most likely victim is someone in the home

No one thinks it will be them though. Even though there is a lot of gun deaths there still aren't enough to make people personally concerned. 

It's like the community police officer coming into your school and telling you that 5% of people of people who take drugs will go onto be addicts. You just think it'll won't be you it'll be some idiot. 

Edited by Detournement

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

I know it's a fucking laughable idea anyway, but I'd love to know what they intend to arm the teachers with, if that's the line they go down.

Presumably it would have to be some sort of automatic machine gun, because anything less wouldn't have stopped that guy in Texas. Is the music teacher genuinely going to have an uzi strapped to the side of the piano, or the PE teacher have an M13 down his shorts?

Fucking mentalists, I actually feel more stupid having to consider that

I dread to think of some of the loonies that taught me being armed.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Presumably it would have to be some sort of automatic machine gun, because anything less wouldn't have stopped that guy in Texas. Is the music teacher genuinely going to have an uzi strapped to the side of the piano, or the PE teacher have an M13 down his shorts?

Kindergarten Cop III sounds fucking brilliant.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Ted Cruz suggesting that schools should only have one door which is guarded. So parents will be relieved to know that their child won't die in a shooting, but have a higher chance of dying in a fire or crush during a panic.

Yeah, let's re-design every school in America rather than voting on (comparatively speaking) easily implementable legislation that's been gathering dust in the house for 2 years. What a cnut.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I dread to think of some of the loonies that taught me being armed.

I can imagine our chemistry teacher who used to turn up in slippers accidentally holstering a tin opener before coming in. 

14 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Serve and stand around letting children die because you're scared you might get hurt doesn't really have the same ring to it.

Have no source for this other than hearing on the radio on Tuesday, that more school pupils are killed in America each year than police on active duty. So it's actually more dangerous to go to school than it is be law enforcement. Scary if even close to truth.

6 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Well, you can imagine the carnage a drunk 18 year old with a gun could cause...

They might at least fucking miss.

3 hours ago, Clown Job said:

I’ve seen a few people saying in the US the police don’t have a duty to protect people 

They can be shitebags with no consequences

They don’t. Supreme Court judgement in 2005 - https://prospect.org/justice/police-have-no-duty-to-protect-the-public/

The current shower also refused to hear a case in January 2021 that would have affirmed filming police brutality would be covered under the first amendment. 

I live in the US, in the south, and today was the last day of school. The local police department lined up at the school and were dishing out high fives and wishing everyone a happy summer holiday, in what was a show of solidarity/community after yesterday's atrocity. At first that seemed like a nice thing, but then it just seemed really fucking weird having a bunch of guys with guns dossing about in front of kids like it's nothing.

They also have a police officer that works there now, and he guards the front door, so if you have to take anything in for your kid, you deal with him. I'm sure they gave him that job to give him something to do, as he's a bit off. I've never been so conscious of where my hands are than when I have to go up to the door of the school.

Both my kids schools do active shooter training, and so does my work. What a crazy place. If houses back home weren't so dear we wouldn't still be stuck here.

living in texas - was @ work today, and not  even discussed about the shooting 

couple weeks back 1 of the houses in the street (gated area) earlier in evening got a safe stolen - solution for my friend and neighbour was to go and get their handguns and place them in holster & walk about the street ..........

apparently my friends know the uncle of the shooter - they live about 130 miles south of Udvale