Yet another US shooting

The constitution seems like a good idea: A government of the people, for the people and all that (as opposed to the rich and powerful).  Mind you, if you had suggested it now they would probably call you a commie.

44 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Advert for one of the guns the shooter bought on his 18th birthday, no license required.

I would be absolutely shiting my pants if I lived somewhere that any bam with a grudge could just walk in, sign the form and walk out with that kind of thing.

Fannies

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

Holy f**k. They look better equipped than most soldiers. 

They may have done absolutely f**k all to prevent a massacre of children, but at least they got to stand about looking tough with lots of equipment and cool shades. 

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

It's remarkable, isn't it? My Dad was an Elder in the church. I've never killed anyone despite the fact that I stopped going to Sunday School when I was about 12 or thereby when I realised that it was horseshit. Failure to be religious doesn't appear to have turned me into a raging psycho. 

I have no idea how reliable the stats are, but one report I found this morning gives the percentage of the US prison population that were atheists. It was estimated in a USA Today 2014 report to be between 0.07% and  0.2%. 

(article at https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/25/atheists-prison-outreach/4797469/

Maybe what the USA needs is a bit less churchgoing and a bit more rationality. 😁

No, but it's turned you into a Rangers supporter....

2 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

In Texas you can legally buy a gun at the age of 18, 3 years before you can legally buy a beer. 

Well, you can imagine the carnage a drunk 18 year old with a gun could cause...

1 minute ago, carpetmonster said:

They forgot to add the bit at the end that 'and then the guys with the guns stand around outside the school doing f**k all while the kids get massacred inside'

As already pointed out, they did look really tough and cool though.

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

Yeah, it's not going to deter them at all. 

I went to a shooting range in Florida. As you might expect in these places, the staff were all armed with their guns in a holster. They'd just given me a machine gun to go and shoot with (M4). What use is the handgun going to be if I've decided to put 30 bullets in him before he can react? 

It was an interesting experience. There were however some rather worrying looking characters in there, who took the whole thing far too seriously. Mind you, I'm sure they wondered why this idiot tourist that couldn't reload the gun properly was there. 

Unless you're having what is ineffect a militia patrolling the school, you're not going to stop a maniac that can outgun you? It's nonsense. 

I'm sure there used to be a federal ban on assault weapons, but anyone that already had one could keep them or some nonsense. Then it expired and wasn't replaced. I can live with people wanting guns to defend their property even if I wouldn't support that being allowed here, bit there's no reason at all for civilians having access to military-grade weapons. 

I can imagine! 

3 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

It's remarkable, isn't it? My Dad was an Elder in the church. I've never killed anyone despite the fact that I stopped going to Sunday School when I was about 12 or thereby when I realised that it was horseshit. Failure to be religious doesn't appear to have turned me into a raging psycho.

My experience of people I've encountered over there, is that it's the religious ones that are the raging psychos.

49 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

No, but it's turned you into a Rangers supporter....

😁 Nope, I was going to games at Ibrox with my dad well before I was 12.  Being an atheist made me realise that the whole Ireland, Masons, Sash, "National" (actually, Royalty) Anthem, stuff so beloved by some of the fans, is so utterly ridiculous. 

Trust me, it IS possible to be a Rangers fan without all that nonsense. 

On the shootings in America, I saw on the news that there have been the usual "thoughts and prayers" gatherings. I suppose holding these events is easier than actually DOING something. 

I'm sure every goon who says I need a gun to protect my family doesn't realise the amount of heads gone that having firearms in the home can bring.

The risk of homicide goes up for both males and females in homes with guns, but women are more at risk, he said. Only about 1 in 4 murder victims is a woman, but women account for about 3 out of 4 victims of intimate partner homicide,

these findings further suggest that gun ownership is associated with mortality and that the most likely victim is someone in the home

54 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

My experience of people I've encountered over there, is that it's the religious ones that are the raging psychos.

They are loving the chaos and the potential breaking down of society, they believe the world is going to end and they'll be whisked away in the Rapture to hang out with God. The one's telling them this are too busy for Armageddon what with buying Lear jets, hanging out of hookers and getting coke blown up their farters as they keep the Jesus grifting dollars rolling in.

10 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

They are loving the chaos and the potential breaking down of society, they believe the world is going to end and they'll be whisked away in the Rapture to hang out with God. The one's telling them this are too busy for Armageddon what with buying Lear jets, hanging out of hookers and getting coke blown up their farters as they keep the Jesus grifting dollars rolling in.

I think the American comedian George Carlin put it quite well... 

“Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money!”

Fair summary, IMO. 

I know it's a fucking laughable idea anyway, but I'd love to know what they intend to arm the teachers with, if that's the line they go down.

Presumably it would have to be some sort of automatic machine gun, because anything less wouldn't have stopped that guy in Texas. Is the music teacher genuinely going to have an uzi strapped to the side of the piano, or the PE teacher have an M13 down his shorts?

Fucking mentalists, I actually feel more stupid having to consider that