Yet another US shooting

Just now, Leith Green said:

Its only "free and safe" if you are a white, rich person living in some gated development in the middle of nowhere.

That's basically a mate of mine who moved out there years back. He's fully indoctrinated and has several fire arms, just in case some low life breaks into his minted gated community and tries to steal their telly. He can pump them full of sweet freedom bullets.

25 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

"This is happening because people aren't going to church".

Oh my.  It must be terrifying going to Japan.

It's remarkable, isn't it? My Dad was an Elder in the church. I've never killed anyone despite the fact that I stopped going to Sunday School when I was about 12 or thereby when I realised that it was horseshit. Failure to be religious doesn't appear to have turned me into a raging psycho. 

I have no idea how reliable the stats are, but one report I found this morning gives the percentage of the US prison population that were atheists. It was estimated in a USA Today 2014 report to be between 0.07% and  0.2%. 

(article at https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/25/atheists-prison-outreach/4797469/

Maybe what the USA needs is a bit less churchgoing and a bit more rationality. 😁

42 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Train the students themselves? Get your 7 year old the perfect Christmas present this year. The Hello Kitty rapid response assault rifle. Texas school health and safety compliant.

12 Girly Weapons

I tried to buy a Mother Theresa RPG and a Lady Di handgun but they don't ship to the UK.

http://www.glamguns.com/storemain.html

(read the bottom of the page)

2 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Ted Bundy was a church elder.  I suppose it was only when he wasn't in church that he was a danger to anyone.  Maybe that explains it.

Inside the church is for noncing, rather than murdering - https://www.npr.org/2022/05/24/1100958437/pastor-quits-adultery-woman-says-age-16-abuse

12 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

That's basically a mate of mine who moved out there years back. He's fully indoctrinated and has several fire arms, just in case some low life breaks into his minted gated community and tries to steal their telly. He can pump them full of sweet freedom bullets.

Yeah its quite bizarre, I think the wealth disparity is at the root of their fear, and it also very much depends on where you are.

In 2004 on honeymoon we were in California, and stayed for a few days with friends of my wife who lived in El Dorado Hills - an entirely new build community north of Sacramento - the husband took me on a spin round town, into the country club they were thinking about joining ($100k pa family membership, I shit you not).

The only black face I saw was the rentacop in the booth at the entrance to the gated community. Contrast that with when we had flown to LA - I picked up a hire car in LAX and took a wrong turn out the airport Straight into Compton (to paraphrase NWA) where we were the only white people !!

In El Dorado Hills, there are literally no pavements, they drove everywhere - one day we walked up the road from their home to a local park and people were slowing down asking us if we were ok 😆

Everyone in shops, restaurants etc was really nice but it was completely sterile - we went to San Francisco and its much more "european".

1 hour ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I wonder what all these nutters' attitude to alcohol prohibition is?  

In Texas you can legally buy a gun at the age of 18, 3 years before you can legally buy a beer. 

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

"This is happening because people aren't going to church".

Oh my.  It must be terrifying going to Japan.

I’ve not been to church since I was at school.  No one has shot me yet.

1 hour ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Maybe what the USA needs is a bit less churchgoing and a bit more rationality. 😁

I find it difficult not to link the obsession with religion in the US to the obsession with defending gun ownership amid horrific acts of violence.  As you say there is a complete lack of rationality with both.

Almost everything about American culture is an overcompensation for some sort of deficiency. Often, a lack of actual history to fondly look back on/w**k over like the equivalent gammons have/do over here.

The deification of the constitution certainly falls right in that wheelhouse. Its not particularly old, it different from other laws in now way whatsoever, and the fact that culturally speaking, it cant be easily changed, is a colossal minter.

1 hour ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

It baffles me the morons that support arming the school teacher or having guards and extra security at the school.

The shooters aren't going to stop they'd probably just wander down to the local shopping centres and inflict their damage elsewhere. Sure it'd be preferable than not having children shot up but I feel like it's spectacularly missing the fundamental issue. 

Yeah, it's not going to deter them at all. 

I went to a shooting range in Florida. As you might expect in these places, the staff were all armed with their guns in a holster. They'd just given me a machine gun to go and shoot with (M4). What use is the handgun going to be if I've decided to put 30 bullets in him before he can react? 

It was an interesting experience. There were however some rather worrying looking characters in there, who took the whole thing far too seriously. Mind you, I'm sure they wondered why this idiot tourist that couldn't reload the gun properly was there. 

Unless you're having what is ineffect a militia patrolling the school, you're not going to stop a maniac that can outgun you? It's nonsense. 

I'm sure there used to be a federal ban on assault weapons, but anyone that already had one could keep them or some nonsense. Then it expired and wasn't replaced. I can live with people wanting guns to defend their property even if I wouldn't support that being allowed here, bit there's no reason at all for civilians having access to military-grade weapons. 

40 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Almost everything about American culture is an overcompensation for some sort of deficiency. Often, a lack of actual history to fondly look back on/w**k over like the equivalent gammons have/do over here.

The deification of the constitution certainly falls right in that wheelhouse. Its not particularly old, it different from other laws in now way whatsoever, and the fact that culturally speaking, it cant be easily changed, is a colossal minter.

It can be easily changed.  If one amendment is no longer acceptable, add another one to fix it.  That is what they did with Prohibition.

15 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Americans are suspicious of people who walk.  I recall walking along the road to the shop and when I walked past a couple, one of them yelled "Hey, get a car, you retard."

On another visit, a neighbour from three doors down used the car to make a visit.

My pal got a night in the cells for having the temerity to walk home from the pub.