Yet another US shooting

I am I right in thinking that Alcoholics Anonymous (in America, at least) is a massive recruiting ground for Jesus?

No, that’s not my experience certainly, it’s more about a “spiritual experience” than god-bothering

That it needed an all encompassing thread due to the frequent nature of these atrocities is bad enough. The fact that a thread about some chav owned devil dog in Wales has elicited more responses than this one is a whole other level of depressing.

1 hour ago, The Equalizer said:

That it needed an all encompassing thread due to the frequent nature of these atrocities is bad enough. The fact that a thread about some chav owned devil dog in Wales has elicited more responses than this one is a whole other level of depressing.

Shootings in America are a daily occurrence, very few bump this thread. A man eating dug on the other hand is unusual, even in Wales.

19 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Thank the Lord for Ted and Heidi praying like animals for family and victims, 2 days before he speaks along with Trumpy at the NRA convention in Houston, where guns are banned incidentally..

Turns out that contrary to the standard Cruz guff, the "heroic law enforcement" were not acting swiftly at all. The shooter was inside the school for over 40 minutes and the police were stood outside refusing to go in. They did find the time to pin down parents of pupils who were pleading for them to do their jobs and save their children, though.

Serve and stand around letting children die because you're scared you might get hurt doesn't really have the same ring to it.

Some Republican mouthpiece on the radio just now attributing all of these shootings to "mental health" and denying that it is anything to do with the ease of access to weapons.

She says that the right to form militias and the right to self defence in the 2nd amendment to the constitution is ingrained in the american psyche.

The fact that when it was signed, assault rifles had not been invented - indeed muskets which could only be fired once every two or three minutes were the only available weapon doesnt seem to compute.

Cuckoo I Feel Crazy GIF by arbeiterkammer

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

A woman on the BBC news at the site, crying her eyes out at the deaths of these kids but still managing to shout "Guns don't kill people. People kill people" 

It has always amazed me how that country has managed to sustain the worlds biggest economy when it has so many fcukwits.

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

A woman on the BBC news at the site, crying her eyes out at the deaths of these kids but still managing to shout "Guns don't kill people. People kill people" 

I distinctly recall Phil the Greek, at the time of Dunblane, saying that you could wipe out a class of young kids with a cricket bat, before posing the question  : Are we going to ban cricket bats"

What an utter moron. Does anyone miss him?

5 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

It has always amazed me how that country has managed to sustain the worlds biggest economy when it has so many fcukwits.

Does kind of make you wonder why our country performs so badly - given the number of fuckwits in the present government.

15 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I distinctly recall Phil the Greek, at the time of Dunblane, saying that you could wipe out a class of young kids with a cricket bat, before posing the question  : Are we going to ban cricket bats"

The big secret about the Royals that nobody is willing to say - they are thick as pig shit. Every one of them. 

22 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Boris as well was against banning guns, I wish Blackford had reminded him of this when he was heaping on "thoughts and prayers"

26 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Give it a go, I say. Will nobody think of the children? As a society we must do all we can to help our precious youth avoid such wicked influences! 😁

45 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Some Republican mouthpiece on the radio just now attributing all of these shootings to "mental health" and denying that it is anything to do with the ease of access to weapons.

She says that the right to form militias and the right to self defence in the 2nd amendment to the constitution is ingrained in the american psyche.

The fact that when it was signed, assault rifles had not been invented - indeed muskets which could only be fired once every two or three minutes were the only available weapon doesnt seem to compute.

Cuckoo I Feel Crazy GIF by arbeiterkammer

The second amendment made sense at the time.  A brand new country had no army, navy or air force.  How was it going to defend itself?  A militia was the answer.

America now has the world's largest military.  The purpose of the second amendment is no longer there.

We can beat around the bush as much as we like, but it's not a terribly hard situation to explain. Every election presents voters with a shopping list of policies and ideas. For elections going back years, voters have looked at the 2 main parties' offerings and decided that they will return a majority of senators whose policies and ideas oppose gun control. 

The grim, tragic truth is that America has the gun laws its people appear to want, or at least don't oppose strongly enough to make them decide to change how they vote.  The answer is in their hands at every election. It is hard for me not to get angry about the gun situation in the US. I have a nephew who lives in Austin. He has a primary school age kid.