Yet another US shooting

Watched a sky documentary called "The Seventies" basically about social unrest and murders.
Two attempts on Gerald Ford's life within a few days, one where the gun chamber was accidentally empty.
He commented that he'd rather go after those breaking the law with guns than gun registration.
1975, two shooting attempts at the man in charge and he couldn't see the problem.

2 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

Houston. And Trump’s attendance is being cited as the reason attendees won’t be allowed to take firearms inside the conference. 

Don't be silly.  Good guys will be allowed to take their guns in surely.

It's not difficult to see why these acts of terror keep happening when they send morons like this to parliament. Even the Tories would struggle to field as many morons as the Republicans have.

4 minutes ago, 101 said:

It's not difficult to see why these acts of terror keep happening when they send morons like this to parliament. Even the Tories would struggle to field as many morons as the Republicans have.

I don't know, they try their hardest to legislate away the 'evils' of drugs and women's rights. 

You'd like to think that there would be some level or scale of atrocity that would make even Americans start to rethink their attitude towards guns, but if Sandy Hook wasn't it, this won't be it either.

They have a twisted atavistic view of themselves as pioneering frontiersmen, and unfortunately that includes an intimate relationship with guns.

Especially in fucking Texas. Mate of mine lives in Austin which is the probably the least rednecky and most progressive city in the state, and he was telling me about that time a year or so ago when they had an ice storm and a couple of inches of snow. His neighbours - who he'd thought were a collection of bohemians and hipsters - were almost obscenely eager to put together an armed vigilante group and start patrolling the area dishing out street justice.

It's just below the surface in so many of them and this happens so regularly that the only reason this one's getting a bit more reportage than normal is the age of the victims - that being said, a helluva lot of them clearly think it's acceptable collateral damage regardless because freedom or something. Hate to say it, but if they don't seem to care then maybe we shouldn't either.

I always think that the main problem is a large percentage of Americans have an attention span akin to a gnat.  Unless something is done within weeks of something like this, it never will.  Sadly becoming much more prevalent here as well.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

27 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

It's just below the surface in so many of them and this happens so regularly that the only reason this one's getting a bit more reportage than normal is the age of the victims - that being said, a helluva lot of them clearly think it's acceptable collateral damage regardless because freedom or something. Hate to say it, but if they don't seem to care then maybe we shouldn't either.

I tend to sympathise with that, apart from the fact that there are millions of people on their uppers who'd love to live in a country where they aren't surrounded by people itching to shoot somebody, but don't have the money to leave or buy the tactical weaponry to defend themselves with. Them, I feel for. And the kids too, obviously; as a group, nobody genuinely seems to give a toss about them.

Maybe countries other than Canada should start taking in refugees.

To be fair is it not something like 53% of Americans want stricter gun control but the Republicans just refuse to vote on it as it makes so much money for their backers? Granted 47% is a high percentage of gun wielding neanderthals.

16 minutes ago, Empty It said:

To be fair is it not something like 53% of Americans want stricter gun control but the Republicans just refuse to vote on it as it makes so much money for their backers? Granted 47% is a high percentage of gun wielding neanderthals.

I heard Fred Guttenberg saying last night in an interview to Nicolle Wallace that 90 odd % of Americans are in favour of universal background checks. Not sure where he got the stat from but I’m sure with his work, he’s not going to go on telly and talk bollocks. 

There is actually a fairly long history of gun control in the US.  Following prohibition there was legislation passed to prevent gangs gaining access to high powered guns, like Tommy guns, in the 1960s there was legislation following the spate of assassinations.  Bill Clinton brought in restrictions on some types of automatic weapon in the 1990s.

The effectiveness of these bills is up for debate but it is possible.  I think that the idea of gun ownership has changed a lot since then though.  It would be interesting to see a chart of the reasons for gun ownership as the years have gone by - I'd imagine far more people own them for 'personal protection' now than they did when the 30s and 60s legislation was passed.  

3 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Alot of good stats there emoji106.png
Also just read on wikipedia that there is approximately 120.5 guns per 100 persons in USA, what a joke of a country that there is considerably more guns that actual people.

I heard that though the percentage of people owning guns is dropping (a lot of them thinking a gun is a dangerous thing to have lying around), more guns are out there because gun nuts buy entire arsenals.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I heard that though the percentage of people owning guns is dropping (a lot of them thinking a gun is a dangerous thing to have lying around), more guns are out there because gun nuts buy entire arsenals.

Yeah, the average firearm owner has about 6 of them IIRC. 

ETA - or sorry, the amount of guns divvied up by folks who own guns comes to about 6 per owner, is a better way of putting it. 

Edited by carpetmonster

As you may be aware I am a teacher in Illinois. I’ve taught in some of the dodgiest parts of Chicago but I’ll shortly be starting a new job in one of the more affluent suburbs.
I have never felt the need to be armed in the classroom, if it was made mandatory I would resign immediately. Nonsense (and I’m a mature “level headed” male) to think I’d be safe with a gun never even having held one of any kind (not even at the sideshows)

Also I’m really glad I binned Facebook (after a hacking/blackmail threat) There are people I know that are very strong and dedicated in the AA/recovery world, but my god their political views are more trumpian than Trump!
I shudder to think about the gun-arms wankfest they’re likely posting right now [emoji35]

5 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

As you may be aware I am a teacher in Illinois. I’ve taught in some of the dodgiest parts of Chicago but I’ll shortly be starting a new job in one of the more affluent suburbs.
I have never felt the need to be armed in the classroom, if it was made mandatory I would resign immediately. Nonsense (and I’m a mature “level headed” male) to think I’d be safe with a gun never even having held one of any kind (not even at the sideshows)

Also I’m really glad I binned Facebook (after a hacking/blackmail threat) There are people I know that are very strong and dedicated in the AA/recovery world, but my god their political views are more trumpian than Trump!
I shudder to think about the gun-arms wankfest they’re likely posting right now emoji35.png

I am I right in thinking that Alcoholics Anonymous (in America, at least) is a massive recruiting ground for Jesus?

38 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

I shudder to think about the gun-arms wankfest they’re likely posting right now
emoji35.png

Why does Indiana Jones hate the Nazis? - Quora

37 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I am I right in thinking that Alcoholics Anonymous (in America, at least) is a massive recruiting ground for Jesus?

I don't imagine having some hippy around who can turn water into wine would be helpful.