Yet another US shooting

I have a lot of friends in the San Antonio area and their posts on social media this morning are truly depressing...

"Thoughts and prayers"

"Not enough good guys with guns"

"At least mental health is being discussed more than ever in society, I pray that's all we can do"

I love my American friends and have always had an amazing time there but holy f**k they just don't get it and sadly they never will.

33 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:
America Is A Gun

England is a cup of tea.
France, a wheel of ripened brie.
Greece, a short, squat olive tree.
America is a gun.

Brazil is football on the sand.
Argentina, Maradona's hand.
Germany, an oompah band.
America is a gun.

Holland is a wooden shoe.
Hungary, a goulash stew.
Australia, a kangaroo.
America is a gun.

Japan is a thermal spring.
Scotland is a highland fling.
Oh, better to be anything
than America as a gun.
Brian Bilston

Still living rent free...

1 hour ago, Day of the Lords said:

Basically until this happens to the children of gun lobbyists/pro-gun politicians themselves, nothing at all will be done. 

I'm not even sure that would make any difference. 

1 hour ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Just heard on CNN Live that was “ at least the 30th shooting in a K-12 school this year “

WAKE UP AMERICA FFS !!! 

That seemed like an extreme number, so I went to Wikipedia to check. They only(!) have 17, but they discount police actions, murder-suicides by rejected suitors or disgruntled spouses and single-person suicides.

Edited by Aim Here

4 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

That seemed like an extreme number, so I went to Wikipedia to check. They only(!) have 17, but they discount police actions, murder-suicides by rejected suitors or disgruntled spouses and single-person suicides.

Just double checked myself and a few sources quote it at 27

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/24/1101050970/2022-school-shootings-so-far?t=1653467936924

Just goes to show how commonplace it’s become when even the journalists and sources reporting on these atrocities can’t keep an accurate tally on how many theres been 

Suppose you arm the teachers.  They are not trained to shoot the bad guy - they are trained to teach.

They would have to overcome their own survival instinct.  Ideally they would have to shoot the shooter before the shooter had harmed anyone - running the risk they had misread the situation.  Also they would need to ensure none of their shots hit anybody else - stray bullets are dangerous.

Also teachers with guns means more guns in schools means somebody might find a teacher's gun and use it.

Never ending cycle. 

17 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Suppose you arm the teachers.  They are not trained to shoot the bad guy - they are trained to teach.

They would have to overcome their own survival instinct.  Ideally they would have to shoot the shooter before the shooter had harmed anyone - running the risk they had misread the situation.  Also they would need to ensure none of their shots hit anybody else - stray bullets are dangerous.

Also teachers with guns means more guns in schools means somebody might find a teacher's gun and use it.

Never ending cycle. 

Also, I'm pretty sure everyone has come across a teacher either in primary or secondary school who is.....shall we say a bit unstable.  As Jim Jeffries once said, lets give that teacher a gun, a room full of children who merciless bully them and see what happens.

23 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Never ending cycle. 

It’s going to end up in a 300 million person mexican standoff. 

Darwinism, innit? 

17 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Never ending cycle. 

You missed one - if you have citizens with guns intervening in an active shooter situation, they now look just like active shooters. When the police arrive, they can't tell the good guy with the gun from the bad guy with the gun and the situation probably gets much more complicated and harder to clear up. It's one of the reasons that the Las Vegas shooter was able to massacre a country music festival - there were plenty of guns around and people able to use them, but the risks of getting shot by police, coupled with the relative ineffectiveness of their firearms in that particular situation meant that they didn't get used.

Why would anyone expect say for instance a young lady barely out her teens who has trained to educate wee weans to be suddenly taken away finger painting and confronted by a lunatic in full body armour and expect her to suddenly switch into Rambo mode.  My uncle was a cop in the states and said in most gun incidents bullets spray everywhere as adrenaline and fear kicks in. It's naw like the movies. 

Horrific stuff but in reality a depressingly normal thing to see on the news at this point. That country is too far gone, that warped sense of masculinity and paranoia is woven into their society and can’t just be turned off.

it’s a small point - but after seeing the CCTV - how was he able to just wander into the school? You can’t just walk into a primary school here - at the one I went to 20 years ago the main doors wouldn’t open from the outside and you had to be buzzed in - I believe this was a UK wide thing introduced after Dunblane. Amazed if it isn’t the same in the US.

Thank the Lord for Ted and Heidi praying like animals for family and victims, 2 days before he speaks along with Trumpy at the NRA convention in Houston, where guns are banned incidentally..

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Thank the Lord for Ted and Heidi praying like animals for family and victims, 2 days before he speaks along with Trumpy at the NRA convention in Houston, where guns are banned incidentally..

Trumpy probably insisted this event should take place in Houston.

Big fucking coward.

3 hours ago, RiG said:

Isn't the NRA annual conference this week? Pretty sure I saw something about Trump attending as well. I'm sure it will be a respectful event after these latest atrocities.

3 hours ago, doulikefish said:

In Texas aswell the home state of this latest madness 

Houston. And Trump’s attendance is being cited as the reason attendees won’t be allowed to take firearms inside the conference. 

4 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Even if he did - and he has said he is sick and tired of it, has told his people that this type of event only happens in the USA - his problem is that the Republicans and some Democrats simply wont change the elements of a constitution which was written in 1787.

As for Ted Cruz, he probably thinks the 400m guns in circulation in the USA is "not quite enough to keep us safe" - a complete fanny.

It’s much simpler that that: 

B61D29F3-ECEA-4271-B05E-2CC42723661D.png

It’s the ‘patriot’ bit that weirds me out. Like the pledge of allegiance gets roundly mocked outside America, but it’s just something my kid *does*, she doesn’t think too hard about it. Kinda like us having to do the Lord’s Prayer at school. And having the anthem before *every* single sports game - hey, maybe that reminds you you’re all American and it’s all great - certainly there’s way less hooliganism et al in the US. But as well as trying to foster this sense of social cohesion, it’s *super*-patriotic to have the ability to remove your fellow Americans from the planet at a rate of dozens per minute? 

Edited by carpetmonster