Yet another US shooting

14 hours ago, 101 said:

That's him lifted. 

Turns out he wasn't short, just a bit rotund.

ETA he only got 7 miles away out of Brooklyn into the Ukrainian Village area of New York City

Read on Twitter that he contacted the police himself to say he was in a McDonalds in Manhattan if they wanted to come and get him. 

1 minute ago, Hauzen said:

Read on Twitter that he contacted the police himself to say he was in a McDonalds in Manhattan if they wanted to come and get him. 

It's possible there is a McDonald's 100 yards from where he was picked up. Although in New York you're probably never that far from McDonald's

Hes been hailed up already. Seems as though the federal charge of carrying out violence on a mass transit system may lead to him getting life. 

It will probably be a quick trial seeing as he phoned the police on himself it would be remarkable if be pleads not guilty to the crimes he is suspected of.

42 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41488081

Some stats and charts on US "gun culture."

I think what is interesting there is the general (democrat states on the coasts aside) push back against regulation of "assault weapons" in the USA.

Basically, you have the public and legislators stating that its fine to go to Walmart and buy something like this....................

image.png.01deecf2e7a8aabf6b9ebd3e1b7b1b4c.png

I mean, its a hell of a long way from pretending you "need a gun for hunting" to selling things like this.

50% of US citizens think that the guns laws are fine (or need relaxed).

Graphics in the article you shared clearly tell otherwise. At least this country acted immediately after the Dunblane massacre.

If they and their politicians are happy with the situation, might as well just leave them to it and confirm what everyone else thinks - that many people living in the USA are thick as pigshit.

18 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I think what is interesting there is the general (democrat states on the coasts aside) push back against regulation of "assault weapons" in the USA.

Basically, you have the public and legislators stating that its fine to go to Walmart and buy something like this....................

I mean, its a hell of a long way from pretending you "need a gun for hunting" to selling things like this.

Graphics in the article you shared clearly tell otherwise. At least this country acted immediately after the Dunblane massacre.

If they and their politicians are happy with the situation, might as well just leave them to it and confirm what everyone else thinks - that many people living in the USA are thick as pigshit.

The US did have their own Dunblane, in the Sandy Hook massacre, that was their time and they fucked big style.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_control_after_the_Sandy_Hook_Elementary_School_shooting

NRA - said 'On December 21, 2012, the National Rifle Association's Wayne LaPierre said gun-free school zones attract killers and that another gun ban would not protect Americans. He called on Congress to appropriate funds to hire armed police officers for every American school and announced that the NRA would create the National School Shield Emergency Response Program to help'

It's the Wild West and it will never change. Sad.

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

To be fair that's only because we didn't have the current PM in office during Dunblane as he didn't think it was proportional to legislate against guns after the attack. 

We have been lucky to have idiots like him every so often where as America has a string of them and are highly paid by the gun lobby to protect their interests.

18 minutes ago, 101 said:

Nearly two people a day are killed by unintentional discharge. That alone should be reason to take action. 

I know it's a big country, but it's quite astounding how many people are killed by guns every day.

53 by homicide. 

66 by suicide.

:o

Edited by Jacksgranda

18 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I know it's a big country, but it's quite astounding how many people are killed by guns every day.

53 by homicide. 

66 by suicide.

:o

Yeh and 50 babies die by virtue of their shocking infant mortality rate.

However it all seems fairly insignificant when 10,500 people are born each day.

Although does taint the view they have of themselves as world leaders.

53 by homicide. 
66 by suicide.
[emoji33]
Perhaps one for the unpopular opinions thread, but it's better that those people have a quasi-foolproof method of suicide rather than traumatising unsuspecting train drivers or waking up in hospital and ensuring an agonising prolonged death following a botched overdose.

(I realise the availability of guns will increase the total suicide rate.)

20 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Perhaps one for the unpopular opinions thread, but it's better that those people have a quasi-foolproof method of suicide rather than traumatising unsuspecting train drivers or waking up in hospital and ensuring an agonising prolonged death following a botched overdose.

How about the unsuspecting family member or even stranger who comes across the body of a shooting suicide, though?  Wouldn't be pleasant I'd imagine.

12 hours ago, hk blues said:

How about the unsuspecting family member or even stranger who comes across the body of a shooting suicide, though?  Wouldn't be pleasant I'd imagine.

Disturbingly, there are ways around that. A mid-teen (15) a little while back got home from school about 1615, knew his parents weren’t due home till 1800, laid a tarp out in the backyard, and shot himself laying in it…after calling 911 to report a gun suicide in the yard at his address. Smart, athletic lad who simply couldn’t get the mental health help he needed in the crazy American system. Unfortunately, his father had to ID the body.

On 21/04/2022 at 15:32, DiegoDiego said:

Guns are just a very messy way to top yourself with no chance to reconsider, especially if you're just in a bit of drunken rage and despondency that would subside when you sober up. Some poor fucker is always going to be the one who finds you with your brains splattered on the wall.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Guns are just a very messy way to top yourself with no chance to reconsider, especially if you're just in a bit of drunken rage and despondency that would subside when you sober up. Some poor fucker is always going to be the one who finds you with your brains splattered on the wall.

My ex-wife's cousin topped himself with a pistol he'd bought a few weeks beforehand, presumably for that very purpose as he wasn't a gun nut, didn't tell anybody, and had only recently become old enough to legally buy a gun anyway. The worst part was that he did it in the apartment he shared with his brother, who came home to discover the body when he finished work. That was twenty years ago, so I think it's now fair to say that experience has ruined the brother's life, which surely to Christ wasn't part of the plan.

I've spoken to a couple of EMTs who said that suicide by firearm isn't necessarily the quick and easy solution that people envisage. Apparently it's surprisingly common for people to f**k it up and give themselves a horrible headwound - even with a shotgun it's possible to blow off your own jaw and survive. A bullet to the brain isn't necessarily the off switch that people assume, considering how many people have lived through it. Imagine making sure you'll be alone, only to shoot yourself in the head and spend the rest of the day slowly dying from a painful and incapacitating wound. Doubtful that's what they'd have had in mind.

But, y'know, freedom! Only for certain things that suit the folk in charge, though.

When I was at college one of my close mates took his own life by hanging. 

Kinda like this thread, once you experience something there are always others who are willing to confide in you about similar experiences. 

One fellow student told me of how her dad made her sit in the living room with him while he promptly blew his brains out in front of her with a shotgun.

Horrible for anybody to experience, let alone while aged 7.