Yet another US shooting

9 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

If Remington shouldered 100% of the blame then you might have a point.

Off topic: I love those companies with disparate product lines. Guns and shavers, motorbikes and pianos, cars and pens, fridges and phones.

I would agree with that if the gun in question wasn’t marketed and designed the way it was. It is of very little sporting value.

2 hours ago, Frank Sobotka said:

89002e0c8e7cd40f9a80460b6ffdb403_400x400.jpeg.a697d214506d3b8d16bea8550c395ecd.jpeg

A local favourite of this genre.

On 26 May 2011, John Cooper was given a whole life order for the 1985 double murder of siblings Richard and Helen Thomas, and the 1989 double murder of Peter and Gwenda Dixon. The murders were known in the media as the "Pembrokeshire Murders" or the "Coastal Murders". Cooper was also sentenced for the rape of a 16-year-old girl and a sexual assault on a 15-year-old girl, both carried out while a group of five teenagers were held at gunpoint in March 1996, in a wooded area behind the Mount Estate in Cooper's hometown of Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire.

Cooper had a history of criminal activities, including 30 robberies and violent assault. Footage from the television game show Bullseye (on left) in May 1989, in which he appeared as  a (shit) contestant, was later used as evidence against him, comparing his image with a sketch of a suspect in the Dixons' murder.

Cooper was sentenced to 14 years in 1998 for robbery and burglary. He was released from prison in January 2009. Because of subsequent developments in DNA and forensic science, the police carried out a cold case review in April 2009 and were able to identify Cooper's shotgun as being the murder weapon. Further DNA evidence was provided by forensic scientist Professor Angela Gallop.[4] The police collected further evidence against him and Cooper was arrested again in May of that year. He was convicted, in May 2011, for the double murders and sexual assaults and sentenced to a whole life order.

Cooper has also been linked to other unsolved crimes.

1_John-Cooper-The-Pembrokeshire-Murders-serial-killer-UK-28-Dec-2020.jpg

The now sadly closed Liquor and Guns store close to where I lived in El Cajon California ( a place where mass shootings were reasonably common in the 90s for some reason)

649c163d-5501-445d-960f-a0596401d5c8.jpg&key=62fa5b5b15687f1a10b8adb4e7d2d753de5bab96def308628020402a33096269
I used to live by the creepy Mormon church by La Jolla. I had some good nights on El Cajon Boulevard though!

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:
2 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:
The now sadly closed Liquor and Guns store close to where I lived in El Cajon California ( a place where mass shootings were reasonably common in the 90s for some reason)

649c163d-5501-445d-960f-a0596401d5c8.jpg&key=62fa5b5b15687f1a10b8adb4e7d2d753de5bab96def308628020402a33096269

I used to live by the creepy Mormon church by La Jolla. I had some good nights on El Cajon Boulevard though!

There was a great punk bar on ECB, I think it was called The Livewire.

On 20/07/2021 at 16:56, GordonS said:

I don't think they're measuring the right things, and there's definitely a huge problem with averaging. I think the top fifth or so get a good school education, the top 10% get a world-class university degree and most of the rest get a poorer education that you'd expect in the developed world.

I also think they learn so little about the rest of the world that they can sustain some batshit crazy ideas about what's normal.

At Uni we had access to a world bank database of economic indicators that they used to create a "development index". 

Obviously the G7 countries scored highest. 

What we could do was change the weighting given to the factors. If you downplay gdp per capita and openness of financial markets and increase the importance of literacy rates and child malnutrition, the US tumbles way out of the top ten. 

Basically, America is not a first world country for its poor. 

11 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

There was also The Liars Club. I used to work at Taaang! Records down that way.

Don’t believe that 

10 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

There was also The Liars Club, leopard print customs on the pool table. I used to work at Taaang! Records down that way.

Not believing that either 

On 31/07/2021 at 10:38, DiegoDiego said:

There was also The Liars Club, leopard print customs on the pool table. I used to work at Taaang! Records down that way.

Am I imagining it, or did Poison Idea release some albums on Taaang!?

Some band.

2 hours ago, 101 said:

Just 4 mass shootings this weekend.

This is a strange one and perhaps belongs in the evil neighbours thread. Someone turns up at a party and starts a killing spree.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/08/us/ny-brooklyn-shooting-sunday/index.html

Should that not be 4 dead and six wounded?

After all, it is New York, New York.

On 05/08/2021 at 09:01, ICTChris said:

All we need to stop a bad guy with a gun is a load of good guys with bricks.

At the start I thought it was one of those fake news parodies from the onion.

But America is beyond parody now.

13 hours ago, 101 said:

Just 4 mass shootings this weekend.

This is a strange one and perhaps belongs in the evil neighbours thread. Someone turns up at a party and starts a killing spree.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/08/us/ny-brooklyn-shooting-sunday/index.html

When I lived in California I worked with someone originally from the Brownsville/East New York area. I have followed news from there over the years it is like one part of the city that has failed to change since the 70s. Seems a very scary place.

On 05/08/2021 at 09:01, ICTChris said:

All we need to stop a bad guy with a gun is a load of good guys with bricks.

The police chief just advised against chasing somebody with a gun, and didn't say stoning someone to death was wrong.

It'll be interesting to see if any of the stoners are charged with murder.