Yet another US shooting

On 11/06/2021 at 06:45, hk blues said:

Sure.

But, do people really vote based on specific policies or more based on agreement with a general ethos?  And, perhaps in the USA voters do not have a viable alternative party they can vote for which can offer them specific policies they believe in.  

Democracy may be the best political option we have but it's not perfect - far from it.

It’s not just the voting though is it?  Various polls show what nut jobs US residents are when it comes to the issue of gun control.  I’m astounded anyone will try to defend it.

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s not just the voting though is it?  Various polls show what nut jobs US residents are when it comes to the issue of gun control.  I’m astounded anyone will try to defend it.

Ok, but that doesn't change the fact that people may vote for a party that is pro-gun simply because there is no viable alternative party whose policies better align to the voter's values. In simple terms, the voter may disagree with a party on one specific issue but generally support the party. It's entirely normal.

I've a lot of contact with Americans where I am, and it's simply a topic we don't discuss as they are so entrenched in their views on it, and see it as being so fundemental to their existence that it's akin to suggesting to us we should demolish our NHS.

Given what we know of America, and Americans, it should be no surprise that a significant minority hold dear such rights as being able to shoot your neighbours dog because it was loose - hell, they'd get away with shooting their neighbour if they stepped onto their property!

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Advocating gun control and arguing to get rid of the NHS is not really a good comparison.

I was simply showing how fundemental an issue it is for them, just as the NHS is to us.   I never said any of them suggested getting rid of the NHS - the average American will have no idea what the NHS is.

Anyway, what point are you trying to make, if any?

47 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Advocating gun control and arguing to get rid of the NHS is not really a good comparison.

You couldn't get rid of the NHS until you had gun control otherwise who is going to treat all the casualties?

12 hours ago, hk blues said:

I was simply showing how fundemental an issue it is for them, just as the NHS is to us.   I never said any of them suggested getting rid of the NHS - the average American will have no idea what the NHS is.

Anyway, what point are you trying to make, if any?

My point is that the support for gun ownership in the US is indefensible.  Anyone not opposing it is effectively endorsing it.

The history explains it but does not explain why in an a country where there is such a high level of educational attainment people cannot understand why change needs to take place.

American society implicitly decided decades ago that the random daily slaughter is acceptable if it means continuing to play with guns, as guns are cool and make weak, insecure people feel powerful. Removing the Second Amendment smokescreen, that's the bottom line, and it's probably time that other nations stopped reporting on it and just started accepting refugees who want away from the madness.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

American society implicitly decided decades ago that the random daily slaughter is acceptable if it means continuing to play with guns

This.

Sandy Hook was the fork in the road where they last had a chance to choose. It was their Dunblane, and they said "fk them kids".

Collectively, they chose regular slaughters of their children and the traumatisation of a generation as a price worth paying for keeping ridiculously dangerous weapons in their house for no good reason.

I can't imagine any other nation in the world would have made that choice.

9 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

My point is that the support for gun ownership in the US is indefensible.  Anyone not opposing it is effectively endorsing it.

The history explains it but does not explain why in an a country where there is such a high level of educational attainment people cannot understand why change needs to take place.

Yep...so we can only assume that the population has decided it is willing to accept the consequences of defending their rights under the 2nd Amendment.  Maybe they see it as the thin end of the wedge if changes are made. 

It doesn't make sense to any of us here but clearly does to them.

Edited by hk blues

4 hours ago, hk blues said:

Yep...so we can only assume that the population has decided it is willing to accept the consequences of defending their rights under the 2nd Amendment.  Maybe they see it as the thin end of the wedge if changes are made. 

It doesn't make sense to any of us here but clearly does to them.

Yeah a second amendment that was written at a time where self defence made sense as there was a lack of organised law enforcement and where the weapons involved where very unsophisticated.  They certainly didn’t have automatic assault weapons.

To cling on to a piece of legislation made in a totally different era is irrational.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah a second amendment that was written at a time where self defence made sense as there was a lack of organised law enforcement and where the weapons involved where very unsophisticated.  They certainly didn’t have automatic assault weapons.

To cling on to a piece of legislation made in a totally different era is irrational.

Of course, but a large percentage of Americans see their constitution as sacrosanct.  

9 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Any Americans that think the constitution is some kind of holy document that can’t be changed should be prohibited from drinking booze.

Yep...it would be akin to us still following the Magna Carta in its original form. 

Crazy but what you gonna do? 

15 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Any Americans that think the constitution is some kind of holy document that can’t be changed should be prohibited from drinking booze.

Jim Jeffries does some great stuff about gun control. Here's a snippet on The Second Amendment: