Yet another US shooting

3 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

It's been a few years since I was up there, I was actually born in the general Bronzeville area (Michael Reese hospital no longer there). In the 80s Wrigleyville had a real edge to it but now it has been Disneyfied.

Bronzeville's been relatively organically gentrified; not in the way Wicker Park has, there's still not a whole lot of commercial stuff there, but it's pleasant enough. The Ricketts have basically turned Wrigleyville into a suburban mall - the Taco Bell has been pulled down to make way for an 'urban rock experience' climbing wall with apartments round it - and are trying to go further - they went to the lengths of putting a stooge up for Alderman, who thankfully didn't get in (Tunney is one of about 3 in the city you'd trust to look after a basil plant and not kill it thru stupidity)

Edited by carpetmonster

I went to Vegas last year with Mrs Mathematics. She wanted to go to a gun range, I didn’t see the appeal but went with her because I’m kept man. Deal she chose for us was any three guns from a very extensive list. I ended up with a magnum, some sort of machine gun, and a sniper rifle.

Fucking loved it.

7 minutes ago, mathematics said:

I went to Vegas last year with Mrs Mathematics. She wanted to go to a gun range, I didn’t see the appeal but went with her because I’m kept man. Deal she chose for us was any three guns from a very extensive list. I ended up with a magnum, some sort of machine gun, and a sniper rifle.

Fucking loved it.

ShamelessExaltedFlatcoatretriever-size_r

1 hour ago, mathematics said:

Fucking loved it.

Could you not have chosen 3 guns and just got your ice cream after?

He trusted me with so much of his darkness that I forgot most of it. Another thing between mentally ill friends: the capacity to forget things can be a blessing if the person is telling you something in confidence. Forgetfulness equals trust. So, when people try to get mad about my gaps in memory, then they don’t understand why Connor would have trusted me with his secrets in the first place.

Getting her excuses in early.

Smart.

Not sure if this has been posted already, but I saw a tweet the other day pointing out that that there have been more mass shootings in the US this year the there have been days in the year so far [emoji52]

I read there have been 249 mass shootings in America this year and we are on day 218.

13 minutes ago, Serious Business said:

The statement "There have been zero mass shootings in the US this year" is equally correct, depending on what definitions are being used.

What definition are you using?

A mass shooting is an incident where four or more people - not including the shooter(s) - are shot.

Heartening to know my kids would get away with mere fleshwounds and massive psychological trauma 46% of the time if we lived in the US.

Of course, the odds are in favour of them being killed outright but thanks for putting it into perspective.