Premier League 2015-16

Here in Leicester, the local radio & newspaper along with the council have set up an event for tomorrow. It's being dubbed as "Backing the Blues" day. The city centre will be lit up blue & people wearing blue items of clothing etc. Coincidentally, the premier league trophy will also be in the city where people can donate money to charity & have a picture taken with the trophy.

Might as well just keep trophy in the City.

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never actually seen this written down before, but that is absolutely unreal. Worth remembering that, in Liverpool, they had one of the strongest sides in Europe as their opposition during this period.

Yes, it was fantastic, but it was possible - that's the point.

A well run and managed club from the provinces could compete with the big boys then because they weren't all that much bigger. The fact is that such clubs did that sort of thing back then.

Winning the English league gave you every chance of lifting the European Cup in those days. Villa also won it in the period that saw six successive English wins. It was basically a knock out tournament with few rounds, some against minnows.

I'm really not wishing to belittle what Forest achieved - it was terrific. However, for Leicester to win the League in this era of bloated playthings, would be utterly amazing.

I know that they have foreign owners too and buy players for many millions. In relative terms though, they're so much worse off than Derby, Forest or any others ever were.

Remember that Forest bought the first million pound player. I'm deliberately ignoring Blackburn as they're possibly the worst example ever posed by someone arguing that clubs have punched above their weight before.

Yes, it was fantastic, but it was possible - that's the point. A well run and managed club from the provinces could compete with the big boys then because they weren't all that much bigger. The fact is that such clubs did that sort of thing back then.Winning the English league gave you every chance of lifting the European Cup in those days. Villa also won it in the period that saw six successive English wins. It was basically a knock out tournament with few rounds, some against minnows.I'm really not wishing to belittle what Forest achieved - it was terrific. However, for Leicester to win the League in this era of bloated playthings, would be utterly amazing.I know that they have foreign owners too and buy players for many millions. In relative terms though, they're so much worse off than Derby, Forest or any others ever were.Remember that Forest bought the first million pound player. I'm deliberately ignoring Blackburn as they're possibly the worst example ever posed by someone arguing that clubs have punched above their weight before.

Spot on.

Here in Leicester, the local radio & newspaper along with the council have set up an event for tomorrow. It's being dubbed as "Backing the Blues" day. The city centre will be lit up blue & people wearing blue items of clothing etc. Coincidentally, the premier league trophy will also be in the city where people can donate money to charity & have a picture taken with the trophy.

All good stuff except the trophy bit. Unlikely now but if they did f**k it up that'll come back to haunt them big time. 

Promoted 76/77

Champions 77/78

League Cup Winners 77/78 78/79

Charity Shield 78

European Cup 78/79 79/80

Super Cup 79

Anglo Scottish Cup 77

Clough cited the Anglo Scottish Cup win as crucial in breeding the winning mentality of his players.

I guess Leicester would look at their championship winning season and even more so their great finish to last season*.

*after a fucking awful start and middle to it...

I will wear my long sleeve City shirt from about 14 years ago as tribute 8)

Western Sydney Wanderers won the A league in their first season.

Then the Asian champions league in their debut season in the tournament.

Aye the copa90 YouTube channel done a good wee documentary on them. They do some great short documentaries on clubs/derbys across the world. Good way to pass the time if you're bored.

Spoke to a few Celtic fans today who believe them winning the Champions League in 67, with a team all from a 20 mile radius of Parkhead is a greater achievement....

One of the great achievements in football history, no doubt about it. Although the 20 miles is a bit out- Bobby Lennox is from Saltcoats.

Spoke to a few Celtic fans today who believe them winning the Champions League in 67, with a team all from a 20 mile radius of Parkhead is a greater achievement....

The Champions' League didn't arrive for another twenty five years.

Pointing that out isn't pedantry; it's directly relevant.

The thing Celtic won required them to negotiate how man knockout rounds? Four, five perhaps. They'd have been favourite in at least a couple of those.

There was nothing that surprising about a big club from one of the most established football nations, winning it.

It's pretty impressive IMO. Scotland the smallest nation to have produced a winner of the big cup. Possibly smallest to produce a winner of any of the European trophies? Adding the Quad/Quintuple and doing it with all-Strathclyde players was pretty good.

I'd still say Leicester is more of a shock as knockout competitions often provide an outsider with the chance of victory.

One of the great achievements in football history, no doubt about it. Although the 20 miles is a bit out- Bobby Lennox is from Saltcoats.

Finding a Celtic man in Saltcoats is the biggest achievement on this thread.

Celtic fans are morons.  They played 4 knockout rounds against sides where football probably wasn't even invented yet.  The only thing you may be impressed about is them beating Inter in the final.

Leicester winning the Premier League isn't even in the same stratosphere as that.

Archived