Premier League 2015-16

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't Chelsea sack Bosnich for his Cocaine habit?

Yeah.

Partick sacked Jordan McMillan for taking drugs aswell

Spurs are natural heels. Squad full of wee arseholes like Alli, Walker, Lamela. It feels right to see them fall short. 

Get it up them.

Generally that would be gross misconduct and grounds for dismissal, though if the player was good most clubs wouldn't exercise it, see Rio Ferdinand at Man Utd.

Ferdinand was never suspended for drug misuse.

Chelsea successfully sued Mutu for the £15 million they paid for him, although I'm sure he declared himself bankrupt and their was issues over him paying it back.

Strange how a sportsman taking recreational drugs is viewed by many as worse than taking performance enhancing drugs.

It probably shouldn't be but illegal drugs bring a bit of a stigma. Hence why the punishment will be more severe.

It probably shouldn't be but illegal drugs bring a bit of a stigma. Hence why the punishment will be more severe.

It is probably the stigma that leads to the greater punishment but I don't really agree with it. A footballer taking recreational drugs is daft, but they're not taking them to get an unfair advantage on the pitch.

It is probably the stigma that leads to the greater punishment but I don't really agree with it. A footballer taking recreational drugs is daft, but they're not taking them to get an unfair advantage on the pitch.

Absolutely, it is the stigma.

If anything, taking recreational drugs would be of detriment to a players performance. Imagine being on a comedown and watching a cold, hard ball fall from the sky, knowing you were expected to attack it with your head. I think I'd collapse before it reached me.

IMO, this day was always going to come sooner or later, Leicester are playing players £80,000 a week. The gap in finances between the big clubs and teams like Leicester and Stoke is getting smaller with every passing season.

Whilst I agree with you this is still around £120,000 a week less than the top clubs pay their players and my guess would be that the same number of Leicester first team players will be on £80,000 a week that there are players like Danny Simpson, Albrighton etc who are closer to the £10-15k a week mark. I would expect Leicesters wage bill to be about 1/4 of the richer clubs, wouldn't imagine City/Chelsea etc have many first choice players on any less money than ANY of the Leicester first 11.

On a slightly different point I think every top team in England would rather that Leicester won it than Spurs as Spurs are probably still a little bit away from competing for the so-called "big" players than say a City or Utd. If Spurs win the league that gap would be smaller and Spurs may just want to be able to start pushing for the really great signings whereas Leicester certainly won't be competition for that level of player when they win it.

Nottingham Forest's late 70s achievements were remarkable and the fact that Clough had achieved similar with Derby earlier in the decade, certainly points to his incredible individual gifts.

The fact is though that in those days, such things could happen. Money came from gates, meaning that most clubs had broadly similar resources. QPR were only just pipped for the title by a whisker, between the Clough triumphs, for example.

Leicester winning the League would be absolutely staggering and in an entirely different sphere of shock.

I would actually have said it was impossible.

They might yet fail, which makes the talk of any disappointment over sealing it without playing laughable.

I remember reading about a Hearts fan saying in 1986 that he was glad they were getting to actually win it at a match.

It will be interesting to see who Leicester sign next season. Do they stick with the style that got them there or do they sign more ball playing signings knowing that they'll never be able to sign good enough more possession based players to actually challenge anywhere near the title again.

PB is Glen Medeiros? :huh: Doesn't mean he isn't Peppino as well I suppose.

We signed them :lol:

Thomas was pish and disappeared after just a couple of games. O'Boyle was a one-season legend!

I get confused with them all, tbh.

And i loved O'Boyle, was heartbroken when he left. Was stacking shelves at Morrisons a couple of years back

Blackburn in the 90's under Dalglish? Or were they Gretna-esque at the time?

They paid £5m for Sutton in 1994 and £3.5m for Shearer in 1992, both at the time were record fees.

They also paid good money for guys like Le Saux, Sherwood, Kenna, Flowers and a good few more. There are very few parallels between Blackburns league win and what Leicester look set to do, beyond them being a relatively small club with a relatively small fan base.

Is there an actual parallel for this?

It seems to be a pretty unique story.

Ipswich also won the league the first season up after promotion in 61-62. When Alf Ramsey took charge they where in Div 3 south he left them in '63 (Don't no what happened to him after that) and they where relegated in '64.

Promoted 76/77

Champions 77/78

League Cup Winners 77/78 78/79

Charity Shield 78

European Cup 78/79 79/80

Super Cup 79

Anglo Scottish Cup 77

I've never actually seen this written down before, but that is absolutely unreal. Worth remembering that, in Liverpool, they had one of the strongest sides in Europe as their opposition during this period.

Good. Serves him right, and all the Spurs fans who seem to think that because he didn't punch him hard that it doesn't matter. Fucking idiots.

Reminiscent of when darling of the English media Jermaine Defoe bit someone and Martin Jol dismissed it as a "comical nibble".

Of course, this was in the days before Luis Suarez - there wasn't the same consensus that biting someone on a football pitch is up there with genocide and Savilesque paedo-sprees as the worst actions possible by humanity.

Archived