Premier League 2015-16

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair do's - it was a fellow nothing club in the form of Stoke anyway.

You seem quite grumpy today.

Back on topic i would hate to see Guardiola at City, would be a good replacement for Arsene though if he ever stands down.

The problem with Mourinho to Man Utd is the chance Chelsea have put a clause in his contract like last time. If he leaves or is sacked he cant go to another Englas club for so long.

Jason Cundy said on talksport yesterday that he'd been told that that clause hadn't been put in his contract this time and he's free to join whoever he wants.

Did I read somewhere that Mourinho turned down any pay off from Chelsea? If that's true then I can't see how they could attach any clauses to him, freeing him up to join whoever he wants.

Meanwhile the thick c**t Chelsea supporters lap it up about what a massive "Chelsea man" he is, when the truth is he's as much a mercenary as anyone else associated with their horrible club.

Might sound ridiculous after the way Mourinho has just left Chelsea, but I think he is a much safer bet than Guardiola. He's won titles at every club he has joined and European Cup with 2 of them. Guardiola was succesful in pretty unique circumstances at Barcelona, and hasn't really done anything at Bayern to improve his reputation. One criticism of Mourinho has always been he's not interested in building for the long term, but Guardiola leaves after 3-4 years too so it's like for like in that sense.

Don't know why but I feel Guardiola to Man City is a better fit and Mourinho to Man Utd.

I've always felt this was an unfair argument in that it suggests Guardiola just had everything handed to him on a plate through taking over a side with great players. In reality, Guardiola's Barcelona were one of the best club sides ever because Guardiola made them one of the best club sides ever.

Guardiola took over a team that had just finished third, 18 points behind Real Madrid and 10 behind Villarreal. He won a treble in his first season. They'd had Xavi, Iniesta & Messi the previous season and hadn't gotten close to that kind of success because simply having those players didn't guarantee anything: it was playing under Guardiola that elevated them to being that ridiculously good when Rijkaard simply couldn't get that much out of them.

Messi went from scoring 16 goals in Rijkaard's last season to scoring 38 in Guardiola's first. Obviously inheriting great players is a significant advantage, but it's hardly a coincidence that Messi improved that much. His improvement was down to Guardiola making him the focal point of the team, just as Xavi and Iniesta played the best football of their careers under him. It didn't happen by accident. It was Guardiola who introduced a system that played to all of their strengths, it was Guardiola who in that first summer alone got rid of Ronaldinho, Deco & Zambrotta and rebuilt the side, bringing in Pique, Alves and promoting Busquets to the first team. Playing under Guardiola was a significant factor in Messi becoming the player he is.

Barcelona were so good and so successful because Pep Guardiola is a brilliant manager, not because he just happened to inherit some good players.

Did I read somewhere that Mourinho turned down any pay off from Chelsea? If that's true then I can't see how they could attach any clauses to him, freeing him up to join whoever he wants.

Meanwhile the thick c**t Chelsea supporters lap it up about what a massive "Chelsea man" he is, when the truth is he's as much a mercenary as anyone else associated with their horrible club.

I haven't seen it myself but I heard he'd knocked back his severance package and told them to use it on improving the squad.

Regarding him going to Man Utd, it was reported he actually cried when he didn't get offered the job when Moyes got it and also that Bobby Charlton is on record as saying "I don't want that man at this club". I reckon he needs to swallow his pride after two horrendous appointments.

A pretty rotten performance from Liverpool yesterday. Not helped mind by Bogdan dropping a clanger after 3 minutes, dominating for 10 minutes with some good football then conceding a 2nd with some more poor defending.

Great save from Gomes from Henderson (probably Liverpools best player) in the second half stopped any comeback and third killed it off. Fair play to Watford though who would have thought they would be where they after 17 games.

Vicarage Road is a tidy ground these days with a fourth stand now added and with lots of flags and atmosphere it's quite an intimidating place to play at.

1 point from 9 against Newcastle, West Brom and Watford is disapointing. Next up the small matter of Leicester at Anfield on Boxing Day.

Some result for Alex Neil, delighted for him. Would be a great achievement if he could keep Norwich up.

They desperately need a striker, though.

It seems as though they're signing Naismith in January. He should definitely be an upgrade on Cameron Jerome.

I've always felt this was an unfair argument in that it suggests Guardiola just had everything handed to him on a plate through taking over a side with great players. In reality, Guardiola's Barcelona were one of the best club sides ever because Guardiola made them one of the best club sides ever.

Guardiola took over a team that had just finished third, 18 points behind Real Madrid and 10 behind Villarreal. He won a treble in his first season. They'd had Xavi, Iniesta & Messi the previous season and hadn't gotten close to that kind of success because simply having those players didn't guarantee anything: it was playing under Guardiola that elevated them to being that ridiculously good when Rijkaard simply couldn't get that much out of them.

Messi went from scoring 16 goals in Rijkaard's last season to scoring 38 in Guardiola's first. Obviously inheriting great players is a significant advantage, but it's hardly a coincidence that Messi improved that much. His improvement was down to Guardiola making him the focal point of the team, just as Xavi and Iniesta played the best football of their careers under him. It didn't happen by accident. It was Guardiola who introduced a system that played to all of their strengths, it was Guardiola who in that first summer alone got rid of Ronaldinho, Deco & Zambrotta and rebuilt the side, bringing in Pique, Alves and promoting Busquets to the first team. Playing under Guardiola was a significant factor in Messi becoming the player he is.

Barcelona were so good and so successful because Pep Guardiola is a brilliant manager, not because he just happened to inherit some good players.

It's also overlooked that Bayern had only won 3 of the 7 previous Bundesliga titles before he took over. He will almost certainly leave having won 3 out of 3.

OK, the team he took over had just won the treble, but it's not as though he took over an existing dynasty. Dortmund had won the title in the two previous seasons.

A pretty rotten performance from Liverpool yesterday. Not helped mind by Bogdan dropping a clanger after 3 minutes, dominating for 10 minutes with some good football then conceding a 2nd with some more poor defending.

Great save from Gomes from Henderson (probably Liverpools best player) in the second half stopped any comeback and third killed it off. Fair play to Watford though who would have thought they would be where they after 17 games.

Vicarage Road is a tidy ground these days with a fourth stand now added and with lots of flags and atmosphere it's quite an intimidating place to play at.

1 point from 9 against Newcastle, West Brom and Watford is disapointing. Next up the small matter of Leicester at Anfield on Boxing Day.

Hope you enjoyed the game :) and manged not to murder any of your own fans.

Jason Cundy said on talksport yesterday that he'd been told that that clause hadn't been put in his contract this time and he's free to join whoever he wants.

He was one of the ones that was talking about the chance that the clause could of been there.

On Mourinho's pay off, I read that there was a clause in it that allowed Chelsea to not have to pay it. Something about him technically breaching his contract over the Eva Caneiro thing. Said they were paying him a monthly amount until he gets a new job but not the massive lump sum. Highly doubt he'd have turned down 30 odd million quid

He was one of the ones that was talking about the chance that the clause could of been there.

The day he was on the radio - Friday I think - he had been down at Chelsea's training ground as he works with Chelsea TV and he'd been told then.

With reference to folk claiming Pep had it on a plate at Barca did he not also basically punt Ronaldinho, Deco and Eto'o?

Was reading a Man Utd forum it appeared they were about 60/40 against appointing Jose, was expecting to read things like he would drag down the name of the club and he goes against the clubs principals etc but it was mostly a concern for the controversy and the poisonous atmosphere he ends up creating amongst his staff. Most of them would have taken him over Moyes 2 years ago though.

The day he was on the radio - Friday I think - he had been down at Chelsea's training ground as he works with Chelsea TV and he'd been told then.

That would make sense as it was his show on Thursday night into Friday morning he was talking about the possibility of the clause being there.

Thought man u were all about attacking football, mourinho would probably get them a trophy, but wouldn't be an attacking style. Mind you, I think they'd take anything over van gaal just now.

Archived