Shenmue 3

Homer Thompson

Liked this, even if the fighting and stuff was a bit clunky (especially by the time the second one came out). Enjoyed the story element and really wanted to see where it was going to end up. It had the odd innovation too. It was one of those games that myself and one of my mates often talked about and thought we'd never see the rest of the series....which, if I recall rightly, was originally supposed to be seven games long. They'll need to make sure the gameplay is up to par though, as they will not get away with Ryo walking as if he is on ice with a stick up his ass these days and things like that.

The people who should be getting thanked are Sega who're allowing Yu Suzuki to use this IP. After all, there was a situation where someone tried to do a kickstarter with Castlevania recently, but weren't allowed and ended up having to call the game something else. What I don't get is how can it be possible to make a AAA like Shenmue for just a 7 figure sum in this day and age? Don't forget the original costed $70m and that was back in 99 (OK, that is a dubious claim, but was done for marketing purposes).

The people who should be getting thanked are Sega who're allowing Yu Suzuki to use this IP. After all, there was a situation where someone tried to do a kickstarter with Castlevania recently, but weren't allowed and ended up having to call the game something else. What I don't get is how can it be possible to make a AAA like Shenmue for just a 7 figure sum in this day and age? Don't forget the original costed $70m and that was back in 99 (OK, that is a dubious claim, but was done for marketing purposes).

I'm going to hazard a guess that the initial kickstarter was proposed as a means to put the feelers out that there was a potential market for Shenmue still. A lot of gamers in the days of dreamcast have moved on or fallen away. The rest of the funding for the game will follow now and will likely be well into the 8 figures.

Also, bear in mind that in its era, Shenmue was a massive project. Probably 5 or 6 years before its time. The costs would have reflected the sheer amount of work and as you say, marketing for the game.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the initial kickstarter was proposed as a means to put the feelers out that there was a potential market for Shenmue still. A lot of gamers in the days of dreamcast have moved on or fallen away. The rest of the funding for the game will follow now and will likely be well into the 8 figures.

Also, bear in mind that in its era, Shenmue was a massive project. Probably 5 or 6 years before its time. The costs would have reflected the sheer amount of work and as you say, marketing for the game.

I'm well aware development of the game dates back to 94, with the intention of releasing it on the Saturn. There was a trailer of it that emerged a few years back. It might not look like much now, but the footage is beyond what I thought was possible for the 32-bit era.

I suspect that $70m is likely due to Shenmue 1+2 being worked on simultaneously and done with the intention of pumping out multiple sequels down the line. Marketing is entirely separate and is the responsibility of the publisher.

Edited by Fotbawmad

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, Ramagamma said:

Shenmue 1 is a very dated, unenjoyable, janky and at times brutally unforgiving game.

What an odd bump :unsure:

The first one is coming up on 18 years old. Strangely enough, Mr X jnr wanted some emulators installed on his PC last night. Hes been playing F Zero X on the N64 and Shenmue on the DC. Seems he has better taste in games than you

What an odd bump :unsure:
The first one is coming up on 18 years old. Strangely enough, Mr X jnr wanted some emulators installed on his PC last night. Hes been playing F Zero X on the N64 and Shenmue on the DC. Seems he has better taste in games than you

Bet you dinnay even hae an n64 an dreamcast pad and converter ya pretender.

And your seemingly far reaching opinions on near enough every game are quite frankly, shite.

I would rather read strong opinions on every game however disagreeable than suffer through milquetoast renditions of "its alright" in every thread.