Parking fines

I was told recently, because I get all sorts of shit through the post,my daughters car is registered in my name,so I get all the paperwork for it,insurance,tax,parking fines etc,that they have to prove who was driving said vehicle and not just fine the vehicles registered owner,that is why they never go to court or follow stuff up,just a couple of intimidating letters in the hope you cough up....the car park in Hamilton gate Greenock,will still give you a letter even if you have paid and left within the time limit,we have had about 6

You got a law degree by age 18? Some boi.

This. My girlfriend done one and its take years upon years to do the entire thing seemingly

Currently in dispute with one of these mob for parking at my burd's flat in Edinburgh. Instead of just ignoring it, I decided to be a smart arse and inform them that although I'm the registered owner, I wasn't the one who parked at the flat. This got them very excited and I got a flurry of letters informing me it was my legal obligation to grass the real culprit.

Which was quite interesting... surely if I gave them the details of my mortal enemy (name tantalisingly withheld), are they really going to start harassing him / her based solely on my say-so?

Anyway, instead I informed them that I couldn't tell them who the real driver was due to data protection issues. Since then, I've had a ream of letters from their "debt collection" partners (in reality the same company) - each a different colour and each bumping up the debt by around £20. So far, I've had:

• A rather drab plain white one to inform me of the "debt".
  • A nice polite green asking me to very kindly give them money.
  • A rather rude blue one reminding me that I need to give them money or something might happen.
  • A "screaming hot spittle in my face" red one informing me that they weren't going to stand for this shit and I better send them money sharpish or I'm facing a 15-20 year stretch in Barlinnie.
  • And most recently, a surprisingly contrite and apologetic black and yellow one to inform me that I had my chance to pay the now £200,and it's now being passed on the courts. But with the payment information on the back just in case I could get payment to them in time.

Can't wait to see the next colour. I'm going for a fuschia and yellow, a bit like the Scotland away top.

The wife got one of these in a coop car park just last week. £60 fine but if you pay within 2 weeks its only £15. That's how they make their money hoping gullible fools read it and think "well I'd better pay quickly while its cheaper". Load of shite and said ticket was quickly chucked in the bin.

Guest The Phoenix

Who needs a law degree anyway?

The wife got one of these in a coop car park just last week.

Now you're really stretching the imagination.

It's remarkable how many folk shite themselves if you use the correct words.

Makes you wonder how else you could blackmail folk into giving you money for nothing just by using threats like debt collectors and courts.

Surely given the fact these letters hold no water here, the letters can be passed on to the police and seen as harassment or threatening?

It's remarkable how many folk shite themselves if you use the correct words.

Makes you wonder how else you could blackmail folk into giving you money for nothing just by using threats like debt collectors and courts.

Surely given the fact these letters hold no water here, the letters can be passed on to the police and seen as harassment or threatening?

Yeah.... They can be experts when it comes to a spot of threatening harassment.

Watchdog on BBC1 coverd this last week or the week before. They put someone undercover to work in one of the offices of these parking companies. They were basically told that they try and scare people into paying and that the chances of them actually taking anyone to court is slim to none as it costs them too much money.

I have had 2 or 3 over the years and ignored them all. They stop contacting you eventually.

I've had about 7 or 8 from the Dundee city centre Lidl car park.

Chucked them and never heard anything more about them.

Tempted to just park there every day tbh as I currently have to walk about 10 minutes to get to my work from where I park but think it would get slightly out of hand getting a letter every single day, even though I'm 99 percent sure they hold no weight the thought of possibly being bankrupt because of parking fines puts me off.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Tempted to just park there every day tbh as I currently have to walk about 10 minutes to get to my work from where I park but think it would get slightly out of hand getting a letter every single day, even though I'm 99 percent sure they hold no weight the thought of possibly being bankrupt because of parking fines puts me off.

Shitebag

A. They're not fines, they're services invoices which can be ignored.

B. They're unenforceable.

C. You can't be bankrupted in Scotland. The Scots equivalent is Sequestration, and due to points A and B above there is no risk of same in the case of these parking charges.

I got an £80 'fine' when I parked outside KFC, at the Forge, for the Scotland Ireland game at Celtic Park. I was getting monthly letters, informing me that I now owe £140. I've not had one in the past few months, although the last one did say I could get a discount if I paid within a month, otherwise they were taking me to court.

I've had 4 or 5 over the years, all resulting in them eventually giving up.

Guest The Phoenix

A. They're not fines, they're services invoices which can be ignored.

B. They're unenforceable.

C. You can't be bankrupted in Scotland. The Scots equivalent is Sequestration, and due to points A and B above there is no risk of same in the case of these parking charges.

^^^ Law degree graduate aged 11.

I parked a 16-seat + driver mini bus in a parking bay near the National Gallery in Edinburgh, paying the fee, and came back to see a ticket on the window. Since it wasn't my mini bus, I just paid the £30 rather than risk the £60 and the hassle that went with it. The fine was for parking a vehicle that "too big" and was not allowed in that space. Fair enough, I thought, I should have checked.

Next time I'm in Edinburgh, I did check and, what a surprise, there was nothing on the street signs that explain the gen on parking that said I couldn't park a mini bus there. I contacted the company (English...you could have guessed, fellow 45-ers, eh?) and they told me that I should know the parking laws before I park in any city. My verbal back-and-forth ended with their curt, "We consider this correspondence is at an end."

They've sorted the situation out now by taking the street sign away, so it's not incorrect now....it just ain't there. b*****dS!

Like many others, I have also received numerous empty threats from these English companies. The fines usually start at £60 if you pay within 2 weeks then £75 thereafter and keeps going up.

My Dad foolishly paid one before I told him they're a load of shite. We now get them through the door on a regular basis.