Parking fines

Edinburgh/Hearts people - got a parking notice in for the big Sainsburys near Tynecastle, we parked there the day of the Hearts/Sellic cup game (no big team found, we were at a thing in  Tynecastle HS and weren't allowed down the street to park at the school).

Anyhow, the important thing is - is it or isn't it one that can be safely binned and ignored?

37 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Edinburgh/Hearts people - got a parking notice in for the big Sainsburys near Tynecastle, we parked there the day of the Hearts/Sellic cup game (no big team found, we were at a thing in  Tynecastle HS and weren't allowed down the street to park at the school).

Anyhow, the important thing is - is it or isn't it one that can be safely binned and ignored?

A bit of light googling suggests bin and ignore?

2 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

A bit of light googling suggests bin and ignore?

Unless it's issued by the council you can fairly safely ignore it. Completely, don't acknowledge it in any way.

You'll get a few follow up threatening letters, but these can be ignored too.

They're extremely unlikely to actually take you to court.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Unless it's issued by the council you can fairly safely ignore it. Completely, don't acknowledge it in any way.

You'll get a few follow up threatening letters, but these can be ignored too.

They're extremely unlikely to actually take you to court.

Yeah, it's a Euro Car Parks notice.

Same as we did when we got a notice in Falkirk a few years back, ignore all contact.

Edit : I think we were on the 3rd company before the letters stopped. 

Edited by Boghead ranter

• 4 weeks later...

Weird question that I think I already know the answer to;- is there any way these companies can track if you have logged on to their website?

Got a letter through for a £100 fine for a private car park where I had to work for the day. I displayed the pass I used previously and was told by the office that would be fine. I logged on as I was going to actually submit one of their appeals due to this and the fact I didn’t get a letter offering me the lower amount of £40 first.

But I then thought why waste my time when they are threatening county courts and bailiffs. I’ll wait and see if it just disappears. However I don’t think they should be able to know I logged on to their appeal page thing?

1 hour ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Weird question that I think I already know the answer to;- is there any way these companies can track if you have logged on to their website?

I imagine the long answer would ultimately be yes but the short and practical answer is no.

2 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Got a letter through for a £100 fine for a private car park where I had to work for the day. I displayed the pass I used previously and was told by the office that would be fine. I logged on as I was going to actually submit one of their appeals due to this and the fact I didn’t get a letter offering me the lower amount of £40 first.

But I then thought why waste my time when they are threatening county courts and bailiffs. I’ll wait and see if it just disappears. However I don’t think they should be able to know I logged on to their appeal page thing?

If you're just looking at the website as a guest the answer is almost very unlikely. But if you're logging in to the site, or following a link/code in your letter or something then I would be surprised if that wasn't logged somewhere on the system.

Not that it really matters in terms of you not paying, especially if you were allowed to park there.

Edited by Ginaro

2 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Any website you visit can probably track your IP, but turning that into useful data is a little trickier. As noted, if you log in, create and account, use a reference code, etc, all bets are off.

If you want to know what they might get from you, try this website that shows you what you are exposing:

https://privacy.net/analyzer/

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2023 at 14:47, scottsdad said:

After a couple of reminders about mine from last year, I've not heard anything for ages. 

Spoke too soon.

Got a letter from "BW Legal" and they have phoned the house looking for me and left a message. They want £240 by 24th May, or I can pay £15 pcm. 

Binned. 

21 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Spoke too soon.

Got a letter from "BW Legal" and they have phoned the house looking for me and left a message. They want £240 by 24th May, or I can pay £15 pcm. 

Binned. 

Directly from their website:

“We are the UK's largest independent debt recovery law firm instructed by various clients in matters relating to debt recovery and so you may find that we are contacting you on behalf of another company about your debt. 

We are authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and also regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of consumer debt collection services and so you can rest assured that we will handle your case in a compliant, ethical and fair manner.”

Typical scumbags, hired to shake you down, will likely sell the debt to someone else for pence on the pound in a few months. Last thing they are is compliant, ethical and fair…enjoy frustrating them.

30 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Spoke too soon.

Binned. 

I'd block their number. It's still the case that it's difficult for them to pursue the case in Scotland if they have no proof who was driving, so you don't want them digging it out from anybody answering the phone. That law looks likely to change to match English law where the car owner can be liable whoever was driving, which makes it worth the costs taking more people to court. In the meantime zero contact and bin seems to still be the best way, unless you've racked up loads of fines in the same car park.

• 8 months later...

For parking in Livingston I have had so far a notice saying I am the owner of the car and a photo of said car, then a warning letter and now a letter from Bailiffs 

1) Bailiffs have no legal power in Scotland (we have Sheriff Officers)

2) In small print at the end of the letter "Liability for this charge in Scotland and Northern Ireland: The driver of this vehicle on the date and time of this parking charge being issued is responsible for payment"

As they have not yet provided a scrap of evidence that I was driving the car they can do one. I just don't like the bullyboy tactics 

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

For parking in Livingston I have had so far a notice saying I am the owner of the car and a photo of said car, then a warning letter and now a letter from Bailiffs 

1) Bailiffs have no legal power in Scotland (we have Sheriff Officers)

2) In small print at the end of the letter "Liability for this charge in Scotland and Northern Ireland: The driver of this vehicle on the date and time of this parking charge being issued is responsible for payment"

As they have not yet provided a scrap of evidence that I was driving the car they can do one. I just don't like the bullyboy tactics 

Yep, any letter from a company referencing Baillifs can be safely binned.

I know that there was some movement pre covid to bring Scotland into line with the English, but I dont think that has gone any further.

I had a few "fines" (from parking in flipping visitor parking spots doing work !) from these kind of numpties.

All were filed in the recycling and after a year or two they stop. The main advice for anyone receiving one is never to interact with them, as soon as you start speaking to them they keep badgering you.

My elderly mum got one from parking in the car park in Iceland on Portobello road last year (she had an appointment along the road), she got worried, called them and ultimately paid it 🤦‍♂️

19 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

In Maddiston a few weeks back, I saw a car with a clamp on it. The clamp had DVLA stamped on it.

I didn't think this was allowed in Scotland.

AFAIK the DVLA clamp cars for non payment of road tax. Which is also a criminal offence in terms of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

The Scottish Courts can also nab your car if you don't pay court fines.

21 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

In Maddiston a few weeks back, I saw a car with a clamp on it. The clamp had DVLA stamped on it.

I didn't think this was allowed in Scotland.

DVLA can.  Think Council and plod can too.  Private companies can’t clamp you in Scotland any more.

• 1 month later...

Received a letter from Parking eye as the the Mrs stayed over the 10 minutes over the allowed time in a car park few weeks back. She informs me she may also have done this again this week as she didn't realise there was limits in parking there. 

Car in my name so letter comes to me. Haven't had one of these for a few years, I take it the advice is still bin and don't contact these fuckers in relation to this one or the one that is likely  to come for this week's parking as well. 

6 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Received a letter from Parking eye as the the Mrs stayed over the 10 minutes over the allowed time in a car park few weeks back. She informs me she may also have done this again this week as she didn't realise there was limits in parking there. 

Car in my name so letter comes to me. Haven't had one of these for a few years, I take it the advice is still bin and don't contact these fuckers in relation to this one or the one that is likely  to come for this week's parking as well. 

Correct.