Parking fines

Yes 8% is the judicial interest rate.

The expenses thing is more complex,
If you DO NOT defend it you pay a set amount of expenses (roughly £150)
If you DO defend it because you have a proper defence and proceed in good faith the expenses are capped ( nil in the case if under £300 cases).
If you DO defend it, lose the case and the court is persuaded that you're an absolute walloper who has wasted the courts time by defending it in bad faith you could be made liable for the full expenses..... £1K to £3K of expenses.

• 2 months later...

Got one today. £90 for the B&M car park in Falkirk. Max stay was 2 hours. We were a bit over that (maybe 20 minutes), though the letter says we were there for 3 and a half hours. 

Planning to ignore the letter. Unless any of the guys who posted years ago now comes on with tales of destitution...

Edit: the charge is £90, but they'll drop to £50 if I pay within 14 days. 

Edited by scottsdad

45 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Got one today. £90 for the B&M car park in Falkirk. Max stay was 2 hours. We were a bit over that (maybe 20 minutes), though the letter says we were there for 3 and a half hours. 

Planning to ignore the letter. Unless any of the guys who posted years ago now comes on with tales of destitution...

The correct course. Ignore the dirty b*****ds completely. The “3 1/2 hour” lie is probably a standard round-up designed to coax you into disputing it (thus establishing contact, which they’ll hope will end up with you handing *something* over).

Now expect intermittent periods of heavy incoming mail, increasingly threatening in tone, with names of dodgy “legal counsels” and reminders of landmark cases that bear no relation to your parking. Ignore these too.

These fuckers are simply extortionists - gangsters hired to “manage” bits of land. f**k them.

If you want to avoid all the increasingly threatening letters and you actually spent any money at B&M, it could be worth showing proof to the shop manager or somebody at B&M, along with a prepared excuse for being late, elderly mother or whatever. Done it at Morrisons and Lidl three or four times, and no more letters. If not, in the bin obviously, and zero contact.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Write back and claim the Prof had borrowed your car that day.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

If you want to avoid all the increasingly threatening letters and you actually spent any money at B&M, it could be worth showing proof to the shop manager or somebody at B&M, along with a prepared excuse for being late, elderly mother or whatever. Done it at Morrisons and Lidl three or four times, and no more letters. If not, in the bin obviously, and zero contact.

don't waste your time, this may have worked on the odd occasion but i'm betting that 99 times out of 100, wherever the car park is will simply state (correctly) that they do not manage the car park, that parking is managed by a 3rd party company and they have no control over tickets and cannot accept, dispute or waive payments. you'd be as well calling the Samaritans.

recycle the letter in the appropriate bin

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

download.jpeg-4.jpg

21 hours ago, scottsdad said:

If this is going to go the same way as your Prof. story I'm sure we would all be willing to chip in and pay the fine now and put it to bed.

21 hours ago, welshbairn said:

He was in getting some stuff for the prof.

Been rattled with two charges for Aberdeen city centre for driving through about 20metre of road as a Bus Lane as to get to where the job was (Marischal Square) would be about a 20 minute reroute because of their stupid fucking one way streets.

Can't even rubber it as it's the work van.

4 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Been rattled with two charges for Aberdeen city centre for driving through about 20metre of road as a Bus Lane as to get to where the job was (Marischal Square) would be about a 20 minute reroute because of their stupid fucking one way streets.

Can't even rubber it as it's the work van.

Aberdeen City Cooncil used to be utter shite at chasing up parking fines, not once did I get chased for multiple window stickers.

Dundee City Cooncil, different ball game. When I lived in Balmedie, on the way back from IKEA in Edinburgh we stopped in past Dens to catch the game, just made it in time so had to park on the Provie Road, got a ticket. They sent multiple letters and eventually sent someone round for me to pay. This is going back about 12 years now.

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Aberdeen City Cooncil used to be utter shite at chasing up parking fines, not once did I get chased for multiple window stickers.

Dundee City Cooncil, different ball game. When I lived in Balmedie, on the way back from IKEA in Edinburgh we stopped in past Dens to catch the game, just made it in time so had to park on the Provie Road, got a ticket. They sent multiple letters and eventually sent someone round for me to pay. This is going back about 12 years now.

A wee bird tells me these days that unless you owe DCC about 500 quid it's not worth their time and effort to chase you.

• 4 months later...
On 26/09/2022 at 14:46, scottsdad said:

Now up to 160 quid and passed to a debt collection agency who are threatening to add solicitor fees if I don't pay up soon. 

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Now up to 160 quid and passed to a debt collection agency who are threatening to add solicitor fees if I don't pay up soon. 

Ignore it. You'll get a new letter each time they sell the debt to someone else, but there is a near zero chance they will ever pursue 1 ticket.

It's not worth it for them.

8 hours ago, scottsdad said:

In Scotland they currently have to identify the driver as the keeper isn't liable, though I think that's meant to be changing.

On 29/09/2022 at 21:27, johnnydun said:

I briefly worked in/around that office around 10 years ago - there was such a big backlog that often you'd get off as they couldn't turn the appeals around within the statutory deadlines never mind chase the fines themselves. Not sure how they are now. On the other hand, the bus lanes are done on automated CCTV capture and have far less 'admin' to them so chances of getting away with those are very slim.

Edited by Scorge

• 2 weeks later...

Had 8 tickets for the wife waiting in a leisure centre car park for the school run (I know, c***s on the Road thread for this pish) for eight almost consecutive days in 2021. 

Ignored them until I got a letter threatening court  for £170 a ticket and the wife was about to just pay them. Not Scotland, so apparently just ignoring them isn’t likely to work. 

Sent “representations” to their email, not the shitey appeals system which was timed out anyway. Included photos of the inadequately signed area and included some mitigating factors. 

All cancelled!

The wife is taking me for lunch tomorrow with her winnings. Vietnamese, should be good.