Parking fines

27 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

It would be interesting if there were the usual "Car park monitored by CCTV, illegal parking will be fined" signs as if the car park is not actually monitored by CCTV and folk were receiving demands for money for parking there would that not be rather iffy?

Thought they were still unenforceable up here anyway?

Or has that Tory douchebag managed to get the law changed?

19 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I wouldn't have thought so. You might have decided for yourself that the provision of CCTV was a service being provided and formed part of your contract but I don't see any way of you being able to evidence that the operator also believed that this was an integral part of the contract. 

Even if there was they wouldn't have a duty of care to keep your car and belongings safe. Their duty is to provide a place to leave your car unless specifically stated that you were also paying for the safety and security of your car and belongings.

If the operator put signs up saying the place was monitored by CCTV and it wasn't, surely that's dishonest trading or anyway something they could be sued for? As @Stu said, he wouldn't have used the car park if he knew there weren't any cameras.

Edited by welshbairn

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

If the operator put signs up saying the place was monitored by CCTV and it wasn't, surely that's dishonest trading or anyway something they could be sued for? As @Stu said, he wouldn't have used the car park if he knew there weren't any cameras.

All below is obviously IMO.

Even if there was CCTV it wouldn't leave the car park operator liable for a third party committing theft on their premises any more than I could sue Tesco if someone punches me at the deli counter. 

The best case scenario would be the absence of CCTV voids the contract and Stu can ask for his money back for the parking.

As I said you would need to demonstrate that the operator also thought that the provision of CCTV was part of the contract. 

If they had a sign on the door saying come and use our CCTV protected car park then there might be a case but, as I say, only to claim back for the parking.

They might even claim signs around the site staying there is CCTV is an additional safety measure.

13 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

All below is obviously IMO.

Even if there was CCTV it wouldn't leave the car park operator liable for a third party committing theft on their premises any more than I could sue Tesco if someone punches me at the deli counter. 

The best case scenario would be the absence of CCTV voids the contract and Stu can ask for his money back for the parking.

As I said you would need to demonstrate that the operator also thought that the provision of CCTV was part of the contract. 

If they had a sign on the door saying come and use our CCTV protected car park then there might be a case but, as I say, only to claim back for the parking.

They might even claim signs around the site staying there is CCTV is an additional safety measure.

Aye, that's what I reckoned. Bit like if an event is cancelled - you might get the ticket money back but you won't get other costs such as travel, hotels etc.

13 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Cctv in car parks tends to be shite quality anyway, most thieves will cover their face nowadays so unless its live monitored cctv then its pretty much not any use in detecting crimes which have just been committed. 

Yeah I agree - I wasn't expecting it to be much use, especially with the police not being interested - just pissed off they say there was CCTV when it turns out there isn't.

Sent the insurance company photos of the car damage this morning so thought I might as well forward on the CCTV stuff as well.

20 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Cctv in car parks tends to be shite quality anyway, most thieves will cover their face nowadays so unless its live monitored cctv then its pretty much not any use in detecting crimes which have just been committed. 

I was thinking that face masks must have put CCTV pretty out of business for after the event IDing, you could wear one on a sunny day on the High Street without looking like you'd just just robbed a bank.

• 1 month later...

Just been issued a parking charge notice from Total Parking Solutions from Kettering for a stay in the multistorey in Hamilton.  I'm getting a distinct 'just ignore it' vibe from this thread however all the parking meters accessible at the time we're out of order. Is it for the bin or would it be worth appealing at the risk of them throwing it out on a technicality ( ie I can't prove that every meter in the whole building was out of order at that specific time) leading to them getting there tails up to pursue me further due to the fact I've got in touch ? 

It's the bin isn't it ? 

Just been issued a parking charge notice from Total Parking Solutions from Kettering for a stay in the multistorey in Hamilton.  I'm getting a distinct 'just ignore it' vibe from this thread however all the parking meters accessible at the time we're out of order. Is it for the bin or would it be worth appealing at the risk of them throwing it out on a technicality ( ie I can't prove that every meter in the whole building was out of order at that specific time) leading to them getting there tails up to pursue me further due to the fact I've got in touch ? 
It's the bin isn't it ? 

Bin. Especially if you can't prove all the meters were fucked at the time.

8 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

It's the bin isn't it ? 

From what I've read about them they're impossible to communicate with and won't back down even if it's clearly their fault. So file it and every subsequent letter in the bin. If you make contact with them they just escalate thinking they've got a live one, like a dog after a bone.

On 16/12/2020 at 13:49, Ned Nederlander said:

Ta, most sites saying the same but good to hear from someone who has actually ignored them.

I've been getting letters from 2 different companies about 2 different infractions from a car I got rid of nearly 3 years ago.

One is from a council re a car park in Omagh when no ticket was displayed. I think I've got that one sorted, went to the fella I sold it to, (he sold it to someone else who sold it to someone else), but according to the DVLA I was still the registered keeper, (never got any reminders about road tax or MoT, all the same), and (hopefully) it is sorted out, it must be 3 or 4 weeks since the last letter, they were arriving every week, and he (the chap I sold it to) said it was definitely sorted out this time.

The other letters - which have been studiously ignored - are from an English company regarding an unpaid toll fine in the Free State. No contact has been made by me regarding this one.

13 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Just received this one, after a few previously ignored threats. Seems they’ve ramped up the threat level to DEFCON 3 

709AD08B-9881-41BD-B86F-BE5751148203.jpeg

Nice of them to put a weblink on a bit of paper for you.

Andrew Hunt can smoke my wang tho. 

27 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Just received this one, after a few previously ignored threats. Seems they’ve ramped up the threat level to DEFCON 3 

709AD08B-9881-41BD-B86F-BE5751148203.jpeg

The Legal Manager is writing to you to tell you that your case will be handed to the Legal Team... who is passing it to who!?