Georgia v Scotland

1320Lichtie

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beat Georgia and that's 3rd place basically in the bag, assuming we win against Gibraltar. Beat Poland too and we can get second without taking anything from Germany, provided they do us a favour against Poland.

Some schoolboy defending in the last few minutes from Georgia made it easy for Poland. For large parts of the game Georgia took it to Poland and looked rather good at times. Certainly won't be a straightforward match.

They had actual schoolboys in the side when they beat us over there last time...

Wee bit worried now wi them floods.Hope the hotel is nae near river :o Every game gets bigger by the minute. I read somewhere our group are 2nd in auto qualification spot from 3rd place. Don't fancy the Dutch in play off again.Some tough teams in 3rd as we stand. HAS to be auto qualification for me.

My hotel's just next to the zoo. If there's a bear in my bed I'll be straight on to Tripadvisor to whine about it..

Still have bad memories of this fixture after McFadden's wonder-goal against the French was rendered meaningless in Tbilisi. Still, I certainly feel more confident about this Scotland team than I have for many years. Time for a bit of revenge?

Beat Georgia and that's 3rd place basically in the bag, assuming we win against Gibraltar. Beat Poland too and we can get second without taking anything from Germany, provided they do us a favour against Poland.

Isn't it the case that if we beat Georgia and the Germans beat the Poles on the same night then we`ll get 2nd place on the basis of a better head to head with just a low score draw.

Isn't it the case that if we beat Georgia and the Germans beat the Poles on the same night then we`ll get 2nd place on the basis of a better head to head with just a low score draw.

No because we wouldn't be on the same points.

We need to beat Georgia and poland (and Gibraltar obviously) and we'll pretty much be there.

Those results would see us guaranteed second place unless poland got something in Germany. But 3 more wins and I reckon we'd be the best place 3rd team anyway so it wouldn't matter.

And then there's the Germans as a wee brucey bonus at hampden.

All else fails we could rely on the irish to do us a favour by taking something off the Poles in their last game but that would be getting desperate.

While it could be argued the recent Ireland game was a "mustn't lose game". This game is most certainly a "must win game". These sorts of games are the ones we often trip up in the past. That loss to Georgia in 2007 did end up costing us in the end. What happens in Germany will be important, as it will affect our approach against them in the following game, but we must focus on doing the business in Tbilisi first.

There are still so many different scenarios that could play out. I'd fancy Poland to get a draw in Germany which would put a bit of pressure on the Germans when they come to Hampden, assuming we've beaten Georgia. Then if we nicked a draw too it's possible the top 3 could all end up on 21 points, which would surely be enough to get through automatically anyway.

There is certainly a whiff of impending heroic failure about this group, though.

If we win and Germany beat Poland we would be level on points with Poland but the chances are that they will restore their 3 point advantage later that week when they play Gibraltar whilst Germany come to Hampden.

Now if we manage to beat the Germany then a low scoring draw against Poland would probably be enough.

Lots of permutations, ifs and buts.

Ideally we want to go into the last game knowing 3 points gets us to France. Poland play Ireland on the last game, Ireland could still be involved by then.

I am still assuming Germany will turn it on but I said that about Motherwell throughout the season.

Really tight group. Fck knows what is going to happen.

Archived