Wimbledon & the grass court season 2015

Widge

Rog beat Seppi in straight sets to win Halle again. He must be pushing double figures there now.

He fancies one last Slam and Wimbledon is probably his best bet, but just can't see him getting past Andy and Djockovic.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Federer looked good this week (although he did face a match point in the first round) and is coming forward a lot, I think over 5 sets Murray would cope with that style of tennis though.

I'd have Murray and Djokovic as joint favourites, but if I had to bet on a winner I'd say Murray. When he's lost to Djokovic it's really been his serve and forehand that's let him down, but on the grass both of those shots get some extra zip, so unless he has a pretty horrendous day they wont be an issue. His crosscourt backhand is also incredible on grass, when it skids low off the surface it's almost unreturnable.

He was excellent today, wouldn't say my opinion has changed much over the week though in terms of how he'll do at Wimbledon. Unless he throws in a shocker it should be between him and Djokovic, which I'd have as 50/50, maybe 60/40 in Murray's favour.

I thought Murray was excellent throughout the week. A bit timid in the first couple of rounds, but didn't really seem comfortable moving in the Under Armour trainers. He has worn Adidas Barricades his whole career. The way he dealt with the aggressive play from Muller and how he dealt with Anderson's serve, shows that he is the best returner of first serves on tour. Murray was serving at 80% first serves in at some points in games, and with the low bounce and extra zip off the grass Novak would really struggle to return those.

I think he is still capable of a brain fart or two on serve, but his return game gets him out of trouble. His movement is slicker, he switches to a one handed forehand to generate more spin going cross court, his ball toss is greatly improved, his serve is getting better every week. He is looking good for Wimbledon. Would still have Novak as favourite though. Murray deals with low balls more, and Bjorkman has been working with him specifically taking lower balls and hitting winners.

The grass seems to be a tad quicker this year, it could make for a very interesting Wimbledon if people get big servers in the earlier rounds where the grass is still very quick. The second week should see less grass on the surface and see it play slower. The draw on Friday will be very interesting.

Do we reckon Andy will be 2nd seed for Wimbledon or will it be Roger ?

I don't think it will matter because I reckon they'll stick the two of them in the same half of the draw.

It'll be Federer at 2. But it really doesn't matter in the end. The winner of Wimbledon will be decided in the Murray vs Djokovic match whether that's a semi or a final. Obviously the spectacle would be better on finals day.

I'd have Murray as favourite. He's got good grass court match play under his belt, he's playing the best he ever has and I'll never understand why Djokovic doesn't play a tournament. I just think the way the courts and surface play suit Murray better. If that was the only surface ever used, Murray would probably be number 1, indeed the extended grass season will benefit him.

Aegon Open Nottingham has 3 Brits playing in it and all play Today.

Malek Jaziri Vs Kyle Edmund is first on Centre and 3rd on the same court is James Ward Vs Tim Smyczek.

Diego Schwartzman Vs Aljaz Bedene is the first match on Court 1.

Aegon International Eastbourne

Johanna Konta beat world number 34 Zarina Diyas in straight sets in the first round 6-3 6-2 she now plays Ekaterina Makarova in round 2.

Naomi Broady came close to upsetting world number 42 Sloane Stephens but lost in the end on a final set tie-break 3-6 6-3 7-6 (7-4).

Today sees Heather Watson against Varvara Lepchenko on Centre Court and Harriet Dart against Dominika Cibulkova on Court 1.

Also the out of form Eugenie Bouchard plays today against Alison Riske but this is a round 2 match.

Archived