Upgrading Phone Contract...

Here's the script;

I have a white 16GB iPhone 5C on a £39 a month contract with Three and it expires in September. The speaker at the top is damaged and this means people on the other end of the phone sound quite faint (confirmed by Apple as not water damage and £55 to repair).

I want to replace it with an iPhone 6 on a similar tariff. The stumbling block is Three asking for £130 odd to pay off the rest of the contract so ideally I'd like to pay this by selling the 5C.

Does anyone know the best way to get around this?

Also, will my phone be unlocked when I pay off the rest of the contract?

The speaker at the top is damaged and this means people on the other end of the phone sound quite faint (confirmed by Apple as not water damage and £55 to repair).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Earpiece-Speaker-Replacement-Module-for-Apple-iPhone-5C-/271639910947?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f3f001a23

Put that in and you will get £130 all day long on ebay.

Bloody hell, what has happened to contract prices?!

I have an HTC One on Three. At the time (July '13) this was HTC's flagship phone.

Contract price for 500mins, 5,000 texts and all-you-can-eat data = £32 per month.

Upgrading to the HTC One M9, HTC's current flagship phone, on the same contract would be £49 per month. An increase of more than 50%!

From looking around briefly at other networks, this seems to be around the normal price now for a contract.

What happened to i) prices being reasonable, and ii) upgrading meaning you continued your current contract but with a new phone?

Here's the script;

I have a white 16GB iPhone 5C on a £39 a month contract with Three and it expires in September. The speaker at the top is damaged and this means people on the other end of the phone sound quite faint (confirmed by Apple as not water damage and £55 to repair).

I want to replace it with an iPhone 6 on a similar tariff. The stumbling block is Three asking for £130 odd to pay off the rest of the contract so ideally I'd like to pay this by selling the 5C.

Does anyone know the best way to get around this?

Very easy to solve this, just do not take no for an answer, insist on getting a new handset and refuse to pay your bill, works every time.

• 3 weeks later...

Bloody hell, what has happened to contract prices?!

I have an HTC One on Three. At the time (July '13) this was HTC's flagship phone.

Contract price for 500mins, 5,000 texts and all-you-can-eat data = £32 per month.

Upgrading to the HTC One M9, HTC's current flagship phone, on the same contract would be £49 per month. An increase of more than 50%!

From looking around briefly at other networks, this seems to be around the normal price now for a contract.

What happened to i) prices being reasonable, and ii) upgrading meaning you continued your current contract but with a new phone?

I just upgraded my HTC One to an M9 and I was paying £33 a month on O2 for 2GB data, unlimited minutes and texts. My new M9 bought online is £31 a month, 3GB data, unlimited minutes and texts. I shopped around and O2 online and the high st shops couldn't get close.

Great phone too.

Archived