William Hill Scottish Cup

Craigyboy

It's interesting to look over on the main Highland League forum, which is called FitbaNorth. There people are predicting 9 or 10 HL clubs to go through - given there are 4 all-HL ties plus people would except Cove to beat Banks o'Dee and Huntly to beat Hawick that would mean 3 or 4 wins in the 6 ties with LL opposition.

I imagine they are expecting Fort William to lose at Preston, and Strathspey to struggle at home to Edinburgh University, then either all the rest / all but one to prevail.

Whether they're right or not, most of those odds are about what I'd have anticipated from bookies.

Are the Lowland teams that awful? Nairn and particularly Huntly are shite this season, the bookies have Selkirk at 5/1 and Hawick are 11/4.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are the Lowland teams that awful? Nairn and particularly Huntly are shite this season, the bookies have Selkirk at 5/1 and Hawick are 11/4.

Selkirk can be hit or miss but rumours of a weakened side and a rift in the camp

May be fuelling the bookies odds. Selkirk would be about the twelve best team in HL so what odds would strathspey be away to nairn?

Hawick aren't lowland league. They're EoS premier but only as there is only one league. They've improved a lot but would still be two leagues below the lowland if easthouses hadn't joined the juniors resulting in the creation of one league. Sorry, nothing to compare them too up north as the Highland league is a closed shop 18 team league with no structure able to feed into it.

Should be a good crowd at Gala FR v Linlithgow Rose, which is where I'm heading. Rose been underachieving the last few years but still a very good side.

Not so sure about the crowd. Looks like there will be less than 200 from Linlithgow as there is still a lot of apathy after the close season shenanigans. Only 1 bus but a few on the train and in cars.

No idea what to expect from the game but the Rose have been improving and if they can cut out the concentration lapses at the back I would expect a win and I will go for Gala 1 Linlithgow 3.

What can the Rose fans expect at Gala.

Are their decent eating and drinking establishments and how far from the railway station to the ground.

Loads of pubs in the town centre.

You know what you get in Wetherspoons. I'd advise the Salmon for food which is a bit nearer the ground.

If you're getting the train don't go to Tweedbank. Get off at Gala as there is really nothing at Tweedbank.

I'd get a taxi from the centre to Netherdale. It's a good walk.

Loads of pubs in the town centre.

You know what you get in Wetherspoons. I'd advise the Salmon for food which is a bit nearer the ground.

If you're getting the train don't go to Tweedbank. Get off at Gala as there is really nothing at Tweedbank.

I'd get a taxi from the centre to Netherdale. It's a good walk.

Cheers Currahee

How far is the walk ?

Cheers Currahee

How far is the walk ?

Start at the top and work yer way doon tae the salmon. A few pubs en route before the salmon.

It's a fair walk to the ground from the salmon but least yer heading in right direction I'd estimate at least 25/30 mins.

Ring the rugby club it's right next door to fitba park if the social club is for committee only which someone suggested on your thread but I think you'll get in club under main stand.

Start at the top and work yer way doon tae the salmon. A few pubs en route before the salmon.

It's a fair walk to the ground from the salmon but least yer heading in right direction I'd estimate at least 25/30 mins.

Ring the rugby club it's right next door to fitba park if the social club is for committee only which someone suggested on your thread but I think you'll get in club under main stand.

Stuff that after a few hours in the pub. Will be a taxi for me.

Stuff that after a few hours in the pub. Will be a taxi for me.

We had a few pints in the lion and the Harrow couple weeks ago after we visited selkirk.

Lion had a massive screen for the 5:30 premiership kick off and the Harrow had music on.

Ended up staying wee bit later than we planned :)

We had a few pints in the lion and the Harrow couple weeks ago after we visited selkirk.

Lion had a massive screen for the 5:30 premiership kick off and the Harrow had music on.

Ended up staying wee bit later than we planned :)

Cheers nb.

Btw if you're arriving around 12ish you could do quite a pub crawl.

Start at the Ladhope, then the Bridge, then the Lion, then Weatherspoons, then the Harrow, Glue Pot, Salmon then the Auld Mill.

8 pints before the game. What could go wrong? :lol:

Mixed fortunes today- I fancy Talbot to win the replay at their swamp in front of 2000 buckfast swilling denizens but you never know..

Hats off to Lothian Thistle (EOSL I know) :thumsup2

I suspect Welfare should win the replay and City are apparently through after beating Strathspey 2-1 according to Radio Scotland's bizarre mash up between the Uni score and our score v Kilby.. :blink:

Perhaps they should have blown up Pennypit along with the Cockenzie chimneys... oh dear Preston. I'd like a wee trip to Fort William in the draw :)

Mixed fortunes today- I fancy Talbot to win the replay at their swamp in front of 2000 buckfast swilling denizens but you never know..

Hats off to Lothian Thistle (EOSL I know) :thumsup2

I suspect Welfare should win the replay and City are apparently through after beating Strathspey 2-1 according to Radio Scotland's bizarre mash up between the Uni score and our score v Kilby.. :blink:

Perhaps they should have blown up Pennypit along with the Cockenzie chimneys... oh dear Preston. I'd like a wee trip to Fort William in the draw :)

Talbot have one of the best playing surfaces in Scotland.

If you can't play football on Talbot's park then that is because you can't play football.

Archived