William Hill Scottish Cup

Craigyboy

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the end of today's match I was feeling a bit deflated that we had lost. Not because we played badly but because we had a good chance of taking the match to a replay. It was not too be, due in part to an incompetent referee. You know a referee has had a bad game when both sets of players, officials and fans are on his case.

Saying that Gretna were once again fortunate to go into the interval on level terms. Just like the match against BSC, Gretna were battered in the first half but went into the break on level terms. Dean Smith converting their only shot on target (and off target for that matter) in the first half.

The second half was a different story with Gretna giving as good as they got. A fortunate goal for Formatine made it 2-1. No complaints from Gretna as these things happen in football. However the penalty that made it 3-1 was a joke. The only person in the ground to see a challenge by Connor Casey to be worthy of a penalty and red card was the referee. The amount of bookings in the much was unreal for both sides, not a bad challenge was made in the game.

Formatine did deserve their win and look like "team 42" next season,

I cannot praise highly enough everyone from Formatine as their hospitality was superb. £20 hospitality gets you admission, a programme and as much as you can drink before and after the match as well as some food to sup up the alcohol. Apart from the result a great day out and a big thank you to all at Formartine.

Nope, nope and nope

You need to have a wee look at the prejudices that are blinding you to reality. Talbot were held today by a team who you claim have a made up name. They were 1/5 favourites to win the tie. They will probably still do so next week but they lost to the LL champions last season and were held by a team much closer to the bottom this season. Meantime, Kelty Hearts got pumped 3 0 by a team who aren't even in the Lowland League. Thank f**k Linlithgow avoided an embarrassing treble of odds on shots failing to deliver from the juniors.

Girvan also lost to an East of Scotland side in Lothian Thistle.

Having "tradition" is worth f**k all. Not a bean of progress does it offer, nor indeed any indicator of future success. If we merged leagues tomorrow, the top 5 in each of the LL, East and West leagues would comfortably compete with no passengers.

Your views of other football environments are embarrassingly narrow minded.

You need to have a wee look at the prejudices that are blinding you to reality. Talbot were held today by a team who you claim have a made up name. They were 1/5 favourites to win the tie. They will probably still do so next week but they lost to the LL champions last season and were held by a team much closer to the bottom this season. Meantime, Kelty Hearts got pumped 3 0 by a team who aren't even in the Lowland League. Thank f**k Linlithgow avoided an embarrassing treble of odds on shots failing to deliver from the juniors.

Having "tradition" is worth f**k all. Not a bean of progress does it offer, nor indeed any indicator of future success. If we merged leagues tomorrow, the top 5 in each of the LL, East and West leagues would comfortably compete with no passengers.

Spot on. And although a league made up of those sides would mean no real 'historical' meetings, from a quality point of view id like to see it.

Spot on. And although a league made up of those sides would mean no real 'historical' meetings, from a quality point of view id like to see it.

How does any team create "historical" meetings though? They all play each other for the first time at some point.

Spot on my tight fisted chum. I'm a bit fed up of hearing all the hyperbole regarding the Junior game. Outwith the top divisions in the East & West the quality is generally howling, with fixtures being watched by one man and his dog. There are exceptions to this further down the leagues but not many.

What you are seeing now is the LL league clubs improving as they stabalise and spend the money they get from the SFA wisely. All clubs should be trying to achieve being licensed and providing decent facilities for the fans. Meanwhile most junior clubs continue to play in "atmospheric" traditional grounds that are falling apart.

The sooner someone at SJFA HQ wakes up and realises they need to engage with the hierarchy about embracing and joining the pyramid the better. Last time I checked we are all non league clubs so surely to f**k we should be playing under the one banner.

If nothing changes then gradually the LL will pull away from the top end of the juniors, and possibly certain large junior clubs will say enough is enough and take the plunge.

How does any team create "historical" meetings though? They all play each other for the first time at some point.

I know. I was merely quoting one of the main reasons why a lot of folk are against the lowland/pyramid. Teams will find their level though- rivalries just now are based on teams being at the same standard. This would surely still be the situation in a pyramid where teams would find their level.

I know. I was merely quoting one of the main reasons why a lot of folk are against the lowland/pyramid. Teams will find their level though- rivalries just now are based on teams being at the same standard. This would surely still be the situation in a pyramid where teams would find their level.

I really doubt it would take that long for grudge matches to appear - these then become the rivalries

C'mon the Welfare ... talk about scenes at the end :lol:

You'll be glad to know Wick are taking it well.. :lol:

Welfare were a dirty team who were let of the leash by whats got to be one of the worst refs ever at HP, Davy Allen spent more time flattened and on his back...... legitimate penalty claims waved away.... ok their first goal was class but totally against the run of play in a game Wick dominated, I think they may have had a couple of corners Wick must have had 8 plus.... slack naive play at the death let welfare back in ......worryingly with Sam out we had a weak bench apart from Garry Manson. Next week I have my fears as they are dirty hammer throwers and will doubtless flatten Davie, and Chuckie. We have to show strength and mix it with them, as we are a far better footballing side.

You'll be glad to know Wick are taking it well.. :lol:

:lol: ... where's that from WB?

To be fair Wick were on top for spells but to me we caused them as many problems although so many times the final ball just wasn't there.

The WW back 4 were immense and aye didn't take any prisoners against the best team we've played this season.

The roof came off when they looked to have won it in injury time but great fighting spirit to score so late on 5th minute of stoppage time.

What a long way and even longer for those on the 3 buses it took to eventually get there. Great hospitality from Wick by the way.

Can't wait for next week now.

:lol: ... where's that from WB?

To be fair Wick were on top for spells but to me we caused them as many problems although so many times the final ball just wasn't there.

The WW back 4 were immense and aye didn't take any prisoners against the best team we've played this season.

The roof came off when they looked to have won it in injury time but great fighting spirit to score so late on 5th minute of stoppage time.

What a long way and even longer for those on the 3 buses it took to eventually get there. Great hospitality from Wick by the way.

Can't wait for next week now.

at least in future if anyone questions the size of the Welfare support you can claim you took three buses to Wick!! :lol:

Wick guys were good when we played them a few years ago- I hope you indulged in some Old Pulteney.. :cheers

at least in future if anyone questions the size of the Welfare support you can claim you took three buses to Wick!! :lol:

Wick guys were good when we played them a few years ago- I hope you indulged in some Old Pulteney.. :cheers

:lol: very true Tam.

Sadly I was driving so no whiskey but the Mantis and NB certainly made up for it :lol:

Archived