William Hill Scottish Cup

Craigyboy

Reading today that the Winners of the East of Scotland League, South of Scotland League and the Scottish Amateur Cup winners have ALL been entered into the cup next season.

This looks like it has been passed by the SFA....LTHV, Wigtown and Harestanes get in this year. A nice reward for these teams for last season's efforts and for teams in the future.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Cmontheloknow says, EOS and SOS league champions have been able to qualify since the cup was reorganised for 2007-08. Lothian Thistle have qualified the last 2 years. Previous to this Crichton and Stirling Uni did similarly.

Admitting the Amateur Cup winner is a nice idea. I suppose you could argue that it was always unreasonable to admit Junior clubs (who can qualify by their 3 leagues or their cup of course) but not any Amateur ones, although David Taylor's motivation was in connection with encouraging the Juniors to be more open to the pyramid system so I don't suppose it was a priority. By the same token, will the Welfare FA come forward and want a slot for their cup if the Amateurs get one?

Incidentally what is the ground at Harestanes like? As I recall, the criteria to host games in the Scottish Cup is minimal - roped pitch and some pavilion requirements. Crichton were not given permission to use Hospital Park - they planned to use Palmerston but lost at Clachnacuddin, IIRC.

Harestanes play near me at Merkland. It's a big grass pitch, with massive floodlights and a running track around it. It has small hills around it where you can get a Birdseye view of the pitch. It's in a local park, with 3g pitches next to it.

Pavilion is a two minute walk away from pitch.

It doesn't sound that different to Gannochy, which was able to host Stirling University when they qualified as EOS League holders a few season ago. If the changing pavilion is suitably appointed, nearby and accessible and a gate can be taken, chances are it'll be suitable, IIRC.

Otherwise Broadwood?

Numbers vary every season... depending on new clubs joining SFA; number of qualifiers (which can be affected not only by someone doing the Junior double but also whether the winner of EOS League, SOS League, the Junior Cup or any Junior region is already a member); plus numbers of licensed clubs - who are exempt from Preliminary ties - which affects how many places are left in R1 and therefore how many Preliminary ties, and indeed how many Preliminary rounds, will be required.

So this must be a wholly unrelated development adding a 7th, SAFA, qualifier.

Harestanes are a decent side the majority of the players could play at a higher level there pitch ect will be no where near the quality of EOS/LL pitches but im sure they would get it cut for the occasion good idea who ever came up with that because some amatuer sides could defo mix it up with EOS/LL teams

Incidentally what is the ground at Harestanes like? As I recall, the criteria to host games in the Scottish Cup is minimal - roped pitch and some pavilion requirements. Crichton were not given permission to use Hospital Park - they planned to use Palmerston but lost at Clachnacuddin, IIRC.

A picture ( not the greatest and an aerial view of where Harestanes play home games.) A hill goes half way round the pitch , to give you birdseye view of the games , the pavilion is a minute walk from car park , 3g pitches and an old ash pitch also in the complex. 3 ways to get in for the general public dog walkers etc.

18465047600_334509c8bd_b.jpg

18030086644_3402f73c32_b.jpg

Maybe their website people are forgetting that the EoS and SoS clubsd were included because usually a full member won it in years past. Will be interesting to see how well Harestanes do. North Region junior clubs have pulled off a few shocks and I suspect the amateur cup winner will usually be stronger than them.

Maybe their website people are forgetting that the EoS and SoS clubsd were included because usually a full member won it in years past. Will be interesting to see how well Harestanes do. North Region junior clubs have pulled off a few shocks and I suspect the amateur cup winner will usually be stronger than them.

Quite possibly... though that would be something of an indictment in itself given the EOS League champion has qualified on this basis 3 times in the last 4 seasons!!

I don't watch any amateur football other than cup finals but I would fully expect the best amateur team in the country to be the match for almost anyone they're liable to come up against in the preliminaries... not Auchinleck Talbot or Kelty Hearts you would imagine, perhaps not any decent HL / LL club entering early due to lack of licence, maybe not LTHV, but most or all the rest. Could easily make headway into and perhaps even beyond R1.

Quite possibly... though that would be something of an indictment in itself given the EOS League champion has qualified on this basis 3 times in the last 4 seasons!!

I don't watch any amateur football other than cup finals but I would fully expect the best amateur team in the country to be the match for almost anyone they're liable to come up against in the preliminaries... not Auchinleck Talbot or Kelty Hearts you would imagine, perhaps not any decent HL / LL club entering early due to lack of licence, maybe not LTHV, but most or all the rest. Could easily make headway into and perhaps even beyond R1.

How many ties are in the prelim rounds ?

When were they played this season 2014-15 ?

and what teams were in the prelims ? i could of swore bo'ness were in it.

Harestanes given a kind draw could surprise a few people. Top junior sides , top LL or hL sides i think would beat them though probably fairly comfortably.

Archived