"One of the most powerful devolved Governments in the world"

Fide

This is a line I've heard trotted out amongst mainly Conservatives, but from most if not all Unionist parties in justification of a weak Scotland Bill. It's certainly been used by pretty much all of the Conservative front bench in relation to Holyrood.

How many devolved Governments does "the world" have that are dependent on their parent Government for much of their budget and affected by its decisions?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Federalism tends to be the key to fiscal autonomy, but Navarre and the Basque Country in Spain provide an example of devolved entities having full fiscal autonomy with a payment referred to as the cupo being made to the central government annually to cover expenditure on reserved powers rather than the UK secnario of the central government collecting and then handing money back through a block grant. Scotland isn't even close to having the most powerful devolved government in the world.

Holyrood has less power at it's disposal than a Canadian provincial government, a US state legislature, or a German federal lander (or whatever they're called). Being the most powerful devolved government in the world is like being the hardest guy in a nunnery.

Being the most powerful devolved government in the world is like being the hardest guy in a nunnery.

That was kind of my point. Are there even more than a handful?

It's like telling someone I have the most expensive Playstation in my house.

Holyrood has less power at it's disposal than a Canadian provincial government, a US state legislature, or a German federal lander (or whatever they're called). Being the most powerful devolved government in the world is like being the hardest guy in a nunnery.

Spain is the example of where full fiscal autonomy has been implemented within the framework of asymmetric devolution. The idea that there is no alternative to independence on this sort of stuff is bogus, and just suited the purposes of Westminster and Holyrood politicians that for differing reasons wanted a simple two-way question.

This is a line I've heard trotted out amongst mainly Conservatives, but from most if not all Unionist parties in justification of a weak Scotland Bill. It's certainly been used by pretty much all of the Conservative front bench in relation to Holyrood.

How many devolved Governments does "the world" have that are dependent on their parent Government for much of their budget and affected by its decisions?

Almost all of them.

You used to provide the answer to your own questions. Have you not consulted that great oracle Waste Of Semen (WOS) or Bella Salmondo that comical black bitch famous for portraying Scotland as Scotopia. Did the separatists sign up to the offer from the UK gov? You know the one that won it!

There used to be an argument that Scotland could not go it alone. You know skintland. With the price of oil at its current price and the separatists showing the speed of light in a vacuum ( how apt that Scotland should be in a vacuum when it suits the separatists dreams) a clean pair of heels on fiscal autonomy, has that argument come back to haunt them. Still there's always whisky and an increase in income tax.

If you think that income tax should be increased, then why dont you and your fellow separatists just simply send a cheque to the Inland revenue with your over payment. I'm sure the 45 would all concur with that? Or would you only make an over payment if that benefited only separatists and not your fellow nigguh. How much do you intend to over pay?

You used to provide the answer to your own questions. Have you not consulted that great oracle Waste Of Semen (WOS) or Bella Salmondo that comical black bitch famous for portraying Scotland as Scotopia. Did the separatists sign up to the offer from the UK gov? You know the one that won it!

There used to be an argument that Scotland could not go it alone. You know skintland. With the price of oil at its current price and the separatists showing the speed of light in a vacuum ( how apt that Scotland should be in a vacuum when it suits the separatists dreams) a clean pair of heels on fiscal autonomy, has that argument come back to haunt them. Still there's always whisky and an increase in income tax.

If you think that income tax should be increased, then why dont you and your fellow separatists just simply send a cheque to the Inland revenue with your over payment. I'm sure the 45 would all concur with that? Or would you only make an over payment if that benefited only separatists and not your fellow nigguh. How much do you intend to over pay?

"Separatists", is always so very Star Wars to me.

^^^ NOT enjoying the journey

You lost. Get over it.

Archived