The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

12 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

Well that's Lithgow offski.

Must be going part time and heard he had lined up a 9 to 5 job

Good luck to him, he did a decent job for us - we were almost always a better team when he was in it. 

I'd imagine Imrie gave him this month on our wages to find another club, and I'd expect to see him announced somewhere else in the next day or two. 

Just now, Rudolph Hucker said:

I'd imagine Imrie gave him this month on our wages to find another club, and I'd expect to see him announced somewhere else in the next day or two. 

'Imagine' being the key word for this utter nonsense account of how professional football contracts work. 

6 hours ago, virginton said:

'Imagine' being the key word for this utter nonsense account of how professional football contracts work. 

🤣🤣🤣

You know no more than I do about what went on. 

Imagine being proud of posting such utter shite. Still, you've had plenty of practice. 😁

2 hours ago, virginton said:

But we both know that your interpretation of events is utter fantasy with no resemblance to reality. Thanks for playing anyway.

🤣 Dear oh dear……

You’re not seriously contending that Imrie and Lithgow and members of the board only sat down to discuss the player’s future after Saturday’s game, are you?  REALLY?? 😁

There will have been at the very least an opening conversation early in the transfer window, and very possibly even before the end of 2022. While neither of us has much knowledge of “how professional football contracts work”, unlike you I do at least have an awareness of how things work in the real world. Either the player, the manager or the club will undoubtedly have initiated a discussion - Lithgow was one of the highest paid at the club, if not THE highest paid, and he was getting hardly any game time.  One, two or all three of those parties will have sought a meeting - from all three perspectives it would be a dereliction of duty NOT to, with the opening of the transfer window giving an opportunity for Morton to save a wage and pay off a contract, Imrie to maybe free up a wage for a new player and Lithgow to get a payoff, find himself a new club and get back to playing regular football. That hasn’t just all happened in the last few days and it would be ludicrous to contend that it did……..        but, here we are.   😁

Your argument, such as it is, is completely untenable, which is why you’ve given up on it and resorted, as usual, to insults and abuse.   Grow up, ffs.

1 hour ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

🤣 Dear oh dear……You’re not seriously contending that Imrie and Lithgow and members of the board only sat down to discuss the player’s future after Saturday’s game, are you?  REALLY??

He didn't contend any of that, neither did he allude to it or infer it.

He said that your one month's wage as a pay off statement was a product of your imagination and in fact utter nonsense and on this occasion he was absolutely correct.

🤣 Dear oh dear……

You’re not seriously contending that Imrie and Lithgow and members of the board only sat down to discuss the player’s future after Saturday’s game, are you?  REALLY?? 😁

There will have been at the very least an opening conversation early in the transfer window, and very possibly even before the end of 2022. While neither of us has much knowledge of “how professional football contracts work”, unlike you I do at least have an awareness of how things work in the real world. Either the player, the manager or the club will undoubtedly have initiated a discussion - Lithgow was one of the highest paid at the club, if not THE highest paid, and he was getting hardly any game time.  One, two or all three of those parties will have sought a meeting - from all three perspectives it would be a dereliction of duty NOT to, with the opening of the transfer window giving an opportunity for Morton to save a wage and pay off a contract, Imrie to maybe free up a wage for a new player and Lithgow to get a payoff, find himself a new club and get back to playing regular football. That hasn’t just all happened in the last few days and it would be ludicrous to contend that it did……..        but, here we are.   😁

Your argument, such as it is, is completely untenable, which is why you’ve given up on it and resorted, as usual, to insults and abuse.   Grow up, ffs.

My tuppence-worth: our Viking brother could have told you you were wrong in less confrontational terms (that's up to him, btw), but there's little doubt that you are in fact wrong...

We don't know when the conversation started, but we do know that any player, Lithgow included, is less likely to take a negotiated pay-off in November or December than he is in late January, for the compelling reason that he needs to be a free-agent before the transfer deadline in order to be able to sign for a club of his choosing after that (so why would he piss away another couple of months of a full-time wage, presumably higher than what he's moving to?).

The whole process didn't happen in the last few days, but its conclusion happened on 30th January because... well, that's when it's got to happen (not, as you originally suggested, because Imrie is somehow 'giving' Lithgow January's wage).

He'll almost certainly pop up somewhere very soon, almost certainly part-time... everyone's a winner... and there's very little in the final analysis worth arguing about.

45 minutes ago, Cappiecat1.2 said:

He didn't contend any of that, neither did he allude to it or infer it.

He said that your one month's wage as a pay off statement was a product of your imagination and in fact utter nonsense and on this occasion he was absolutely correct.

…..except that I didn’t say Lithgow was getting his January wage as a pay off (for the absence of doubt, nor did I “allude to it” or “infer it”). He was obviously going to get a negotiated settlement for the balance of his contract. I’d’ve thought that would be obvious to most and wouldn’t have to be said, in a short post wishing the guy well, but apparently the hard of thinking and the nit-pickers are always with us. And, if you check my initial post, you’ll find that it was me who said “I’d imagine”, nobody else.  And I went on to say it was giving the player some time to find an alternative club.

What that twat DID say was that I was wrong in saying that Lithgow’s departure would have been mooted and discussed earlier than just over the last day or two. None of us know for sure but common sense dictates that I will be correct in that assumption. I’m more than happy for you and him to think differently, or refuse to admit that I could be correct.

On balance, then, a swing and a miss for you both. 😁

19 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

My tuppence-worth: our Viking brother could have told you you were wrong in less confrontational terms (that's up to him, btw), but there's little doubt that you are in fact wrong...

We don't know when the conversation started, but we do know that any player, Lithgow included, is less likely to take a negotiated pay-off in November or December than he is in late January, for the compelling reason that he needs to be a free-agent before the transfer deadline in order to be able to sign for a club of his choosing after that (so why would he piss away another couple of months of a full-time wage, presumably higher than what he's moving to?).

The whole process didn't happen in the last few days, but its conclusion happened on 30th January because... well, that's when it's got to happen (not, as you originally suggested, because Imrie is somehow 'giving' Lithgow January's wage).

He'll almost certainly pop up somewhere very soon, almost certainly part-time... everyone's a winner... and there's very little in the final analysis worth arguing about.

Christ, don’t you start as well…..

Your second paragraph - where did I say that we were looking to pay him off in November or December?? I said nothing of the kind. I said that there will have been discussions over the course of this month and possibly earlier, and that is what virginton (I love when autocorrect does that 😁) was taking issue with, nothing else. I wouldn’t have expected the news to be released before it was, and as I said I now expect him to pop up elsewhere this week. The negotiated settlement for the balance of his contract was probably conditional on him staying on the books at Cappielow on presumably a higher wage than he’ll be getting going forward (note that i said “presumably” as we have no way of knowing). I could’ve said “Morton” rather than Imrie agreeing that , that would’ve been more accurate, but then again I didn’t expect the the fucking Spanish Inquisition (by the way, NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition) over one short post wishing the guy well.

Apart from the first two lines of your post, the rest of it shows that your thoughts and mine on this are on very similar lines. Club, manager and player will have known for much of this season that a “by mutual consent” in January could be a possibility, they’ll have talked about it early in the window (which was vt’s only bone of contention re my first post, and we agree that he will have been wrong in that 😁) or earlier, and now that we’ve reached the end of the month all parties can move on.

(except for on here, obviously)

😁

Christ, don’t you start as well…..

Your second paragraph - where did I say that we were looking to pay him off in November or December?? I said nothing of the kind. I said that there will have been discussions over the course of this month and possibly earlier, and that is what virginton (I love when autocorrect does that 😁) was taking issue with, nothing else. I wouldn’t have expected the news to be released before it was, and as I said I now expect him to pop up elsewhere this week. The negotiated settlement for the balance of his contract was probably conditional on him staying on the books at Cappielow on presumably a higher wage than he’ll be getting going forward (note that i said “presumably” as we have no way of knowing). I could’ve said “Morton” rather than Imrie agreeing that , that would’ve been more accurate, but then again I didn’t expect the the fucking Spanish Inquisition (by the way, NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition) over one short post wishing the guy well.

Apart from the first two lines of your post, the rest of it shows that your thoughts and mine on this are on very similar lines. Club, manager and player will have known for much of this season that a “by mutual consent” in January could be a possibility, they’ll have talked about it early in the window (which was vt’s only bone of contention re my first post, and we agree that he will have been wrong in that 😁) or earlier, and now that we’ve reached the end of the month all parties can move on.

(except for on here, obviously)

😁

I didn't say you did.

The only bit people are taking issue with is the 'giving him January's wage' bit. That really is all.

On 01/02/2023 at 01:29, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I didn't say you did.

The only bit people are taking issue with is the 'giving him January's wage' bit. That really is all.

Hmmm, right…….   Well, all I intended was to post a couple of lines wishing the guy well for the future and that it was good to see that he and the club had reached a, hopefully amicable, agreement re his deal with us.

I COULD’VE said “Morton” rather than “Imrie”, and “agreed” rather than “gave” and added a few caveats, but who in their right mind would’ve expected such an innocuous wee post would be leapt on by an emotionally-stunted Bluebottle wittering on about contract law as if he knew the first think about it?? 🤣🤣🤣

Although, in retrospect, I should’ve known better, right?   
😁

8 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Hmmm, right…….   Well, all I intended was to post a couple of lines wishing the guy well for the future and that it was good to see that he and the club had reached a, hopefully amicable, agreement re his deal with us.

I COULD’VE said “Morton” rather than “Imrie”, and “agreed” rather than “gave” and added a few caveats, but who in their right mind would’ve expected such an innocuous wee post would be leapt on by an emotionally-stunted Bluebottle wittering on about contract law as if he knew the first think about it?? 🤣🤣🤣

Although, in retrospect, I should’ve known better, right?   
😁

There's no evidence that Morton ruthlessly 'agreed' to give Lithgow a mere month's wage and that he graciously accepted the rest of his contract being cancelled. And nor should he: it was the club that foolishly handed out a two year deal, for a player in the twilight of his career. 

He has almost certainly been paid to leave just as managers are paid to leave when they mutually terminate their contracts: the sum will be less than the full value of the contract, but not 'January only and you're out the door'. Because that is how professional football works.

Your latest clown running across a minefield display is really not my responsibility. 

Queens kicked out the cup.

Good opportunity to play outstanding game.

PS for information Lithgow's maw and paw were not in attendance last Saturday so expect he was giving the weekend to consider his position and what ever we offered. I know he was scunered at having come on for the last minute v QOS in cup as limited his aspirations of signing with someone still in the cup.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

There's no evidence that Morton ruthlessly 'agreed' to give Lithgow a mere month's wage and that he graciously accepted the rest of his contract being cancelled. And nor should he: it was the club that foolishly handed out a two year deal, for a player in the twilight of his career. 

He has almost certainly been paid to leave just as managers are paid to leave when they mutually terminate their contracts: the sum will be less than the full value of the contract, but not 'January only and you're out the door'. Because that is how professional football works.

Your latest clown running across a minefield display is really not my responsibility. 

*sigh*…..   it’s self-evident that we paid him his wage up to the end of the window and his contract was then cancelled for whatever sum was agreed…….   Or at least I THOUGHT it would be self-evident.  😁 I posted a very short post wishing the guy well; I wasn’t looking to add umpteen appendices and caveats about what went on to get him to that point.

I actually feel quite sorry for you, you’re still constantly looking to create arguments out of nothing in the hope of scoring meaningless points and you’ve been that way for far too many years.  You’re now well into your fourth decade on this earth, Stephen; it’s high time you started to act like it.