The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

56 minutes ago, Death in Vegas said:

With that money now, Morton are firm favs for the league (if they weren’t already). Just have to see if yous can handle the pressure of it but can’t see beyond yous.

One-off bonus at a club that needs to break-even is not the same as Partick, Dundee, Inverness etc. flinging hundreds of thousands of pounds they don't have every single year on their playing budget. 

If part of the cup draw gets us a couple of squad players for depth (or one quality addition) then it might consolidate a push for the top 4. It doesn't make us even remotely title favourites.

What's left should contribute towards dragging the club as a business into the 21st century. 

16 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I'd be beyond surprised if Griffifths rocked up at Cappielow... nowhere near what we now know Imrie expects from players, both physically and in terms of attitude.

We were after something else (better) in September, so will be interesting to see if it's still live.

I'd imagine utterly no chance after the news today.

2 hours ago, Death in Vegas said:

With that money now, Morton are firm favs for the league (if they weren’t already). Just have to see if yous can handle the pressure of it but can’t see beyond yous.

Behave, yous. 

2 hours ago, Death in Vegas said:

While it is entirely fair that you are accepting that Ayr will not be winning the title and won't even be our nearest challengers, how many times you going to post this shite?

If I was a betting man I'd say the odds of Griffith's joining us have just lengthened. 

Seeming Police Scotand have taken an interest in his social activities.

Looks like the Greenock Telegraph has come good.

1 minute ago, Paisley Ton said:

If I was a betting man I'd say the odds of Griffith's joining us have just lengthened. 

Seeming Police Scotand have taken an interest in his social activities.

Looks like the Greenock Telegraph has come good.

There was never any chance we'd be signing him.  Just a lazy piece of journalism.  Under some of our previous managers, signing an unfit has-been might have been seen as a good idea, but we've moved on.  He'll be signing for Queens Park - here's a picture of him in his new strip:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prisoner-Convict-Robber-Burglar-Costume/dp/B00JQ3T0TY/ref=asc_df_B00JQ3T0TY/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309990544451&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11164598138620191158&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007320&hvtargid=pla-540938479885&psc=1

6 hours ago, Morton Supporter said:

Is anyone aware of any buses running to Raith Rovers on Saturday?

Thanks.

X27 @ 11.4 from Buchanan Street arrives 13.33 and a few pubs and 30 mins from Starks Park.

Can't see many going sure we will give those on the squad fringe a game. 

22 hours ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

Is the Celtic game much of a cash cow these days? Every time I've seen a domestic cup game on TV there the number of empty seats is ridiculous. 

There you go great chance of you getting a ticket and pulling on your hoop Christmas present.

As Celtic Park holds 60,000 even if only 40,000 turn up it will look empty.

In reality, up until Covid 19 times these games were poorly attended by OF fans.

All part of the OF initiative introduced 20 years ago that in league games the home club kept the gate money.

After Covid lockdown OF fans seemed to lose their it's no all our money so we are not going but great to get back to live games.

I will be happy if we pull 30,000. Should see us get enough cash through the door and allow us to strengthen the squad.

60,000 and maybe ground improvements a bit like Arbroath.

23 hours ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

Is the Celtic game much of a cash cow these days? Every time I've seen a domestic cup game on TV there the number of empty seats is ridiculous. 

Alot of season books are on the Home Cup Ticket Scheme these days to give you any chance of getting a potential cup final ticket these days so whilst there will be  empty seats some of them will have been paid for for that game.

Edited by gannonball

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

Alot of season books are on the Home Cup Ticket Scheme these days to give you any chance of getting a potential cup final ticket these days so whilst there will be  empty seats some of them will have been paid for for that game.

Would expect somewhere near a sellout for the return of a legend of Celtic Park. 

Efe Ambrose will be playing as well. 

16 hours ago, gannonball said:

How many are on the cup scheme?

17 hours ago, gannonball said:

I imagine most teams would declare their cup match income based on actual attendance rather than the theoretical number of tickets "sold", so this probably has no impact on the amount Morton receive. We'll get a decent amount I'm sure, but I wouldn't expect it to be a season changer.

13 minutes ago, Mon eh Ton said:

I imagine most teams would declare their cup match income based on actual attendance rather than the theoretical number of tickets "sold", so this probably has no impact on the amount Morton receive. We'll get a decent amount I'm sure, but I wouldn't expect it to be a season changer.

Yeah of course it will go off cash rather than attendance and whilst we don’t charge a great deal usually for cup games I think it will still amount to a decent whack for Morton. A good few players salaries covered for the season I would imagine. Plus I think TV games get extra cash iirc.