The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

It’s looking like Dougie may have to get a tune out of some of our current players who’ve shown their ability before but for some reason have fallen off it more recently. Kyle Jacobs performed consistently well for around half a season if I remember it correctly, so he must have something that a motivational manager could rekindle. Maybe not quite so consistently Reece Lyon also showed great potential which you’d hope Dougie could tap into. He’s done it with Robbie Muirhead and Cameron Blues, so fingers crossed he can do it with others, whether or not he may have other irons in the fire.

Fair play to Morton today our overwhelming deficiencies up front showed up and cost us dearly.Morton were the hungrier team and deserved the win.Its early days for us and hopefully we get this out of our system and quick. Imrie has got a decent team there and I'll look out for yous in the coming season.Lets see if you can defy the odds like I hope we can,again.👏.

35 minutes ago, Cambyger said:

Morton effectively done away with their youths . No development squad left and I believe no staff either . 
Surely a club like Morton need a proper functioning youth setup . 

How have they 'effectively ' done away with the youths. We currently have academy teams from 2012s and upwards. 

9 minutes ago, Cambyger said:

Stops at under 18 . No pathway to the 1st team 

I don't know the ins and outs of this, but there is no reserve or develop league at the moment. I don't know the practicalities of this but how possible is it for a club like Morton to support a development or reserve team without the funding or encouragement of a development or reserve league? 

As it stands, the pathway is there into the first team (narrow as that might be). I'm not sure there is actually a wealth of evidence that a development squad at Morton was an effective pathway to first team football. Retaining young talent, letting them train with the first team, and sending them out on loan isn't a bad way to go. 

You are right in that there is no development league but that doesn’t stop the clubs still having what is essentially a reserve team as many other clubs have . There will be far more to it and possibly the questions should be asked of the board. 
The club only has 19 players . That’s 19 players for a championship club . The under 18’s were all effectively released too . So you have 19 players and then some 15/16 year olds 

6 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Retaining young talent, letting them train with the first team, and sending them out on loan isn't a bad way to go. 

Arguably a better way to go about it. 19/20 year olds get full time training but spend half the week training with the part time team they get first team experience with. Two coaching teams to work with and learn from. 

1 minute ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Arguably a better way to go about it. 19/20 year olds get full time training but spend half the week training with the part time team they get first team experience with. Two coaching teams to work with and learn from. 

Agreed but that’s not what’s happened 

1 minute ago, Cambyger said:

You are right in that there is no development league but that doesn’t stop the clubs still having what is essentially a reserve team as many other clubs have . There will be far more to it and possibly the questions should be asked of the board. 
The club only has 19 players . That’s 19 players for a championship club . The under 18’s were all effectively released too . So you have 19 players and then some 15/16 year olds 

Were any of the U18s ever gonna be good enough to play for the first team?

If we do have limited resources at youth level and a group just isn't going to be good enough why should the club keep them on?

3 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Were any of the U18s ever gonna be good enough to play for the first team?

If we do have limited resources at youth level and a group just isn't going to be good enough why should the club keep them on?

That’s a matter of opinion and the fact that they wanted to keep some I would suggest yes 

What exactly is the issue here?

If the knobs at the SPFL introduce an U21 league, I'd be confident we'd re-introduce an U21 squad.

Until that happens, as has been said, our current way of making do makes perfect sense: i.e. contracting a limited number of young players who are within spitting distance of first-team football (or who can go out on loan until they are).

2 hours ago, Cambyger said:

That’s a matter of opinion and the fact that they wanted to keep some I would suggest yes 

If we wanted to keep the best of them then surely that confirms the system is functioning fine? 

Aye Morton are guilty of many feck ups but this isn't one of them.

As for no pathway to 1st team, you kidden? Half our current squad have came through the system over the last few years- King, McGregor, Sir Alexander of Easdale, Garrity, Hynes, Quitongo, McGrattan, Strapp, Lyon.

If they are good enough at under 18 level, they will get a chance.

Hopefully the reserve league makes a return sooner rather than later.

33 minutes ago, madton said:

Aye Morton are guilty of many feck ups but this isn't one of them.

As for no pathway to 1st team, you kidden? Half our current squad have came through the system over the last few years- King, McGregor, Sir Alexander of Easdale, Garrity, Hynes, Quitongo, McGrattan, Strapp, Lyon.

If they are good enough at under 18 level, they will get a chance.

Hopefully the reserve league makes a return sooner rather than later.

I’m sure as a Morton fan you are completely aware of how your club is being run . If you are happy with the current setup then that’s up to you .