The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

7 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Any rumours on what's happening with Hamilton? 

Heard he was talking to St Johnstone but their number 2 signed a new deal today so hoping that's good news for us.

Most fans were happy to see him move on. Not a striker, not a winger, not a midfielder, basically a number 10 but lacks pace. Decent enough on the ball, although he loves to fall over trying to win free kicks a lot. Just didnt do enough in games to merit starting every week so was always in and out.

His best time with us was under his uncle Duffy when he played just off the striker but never scores more than 8/9 goals a season.

1st game of the season should be tasty with 4 ex Morton players in your squad.

Talented but very frustrating player. Has about 5 games a season where you think there's a real player there but flatters to deceive mostly. He keeps the ball extremely well but that's because he usually holds on to it 5+ seconds longer than he should and slows down counter attacks. 

Not a player that's ever been particularly disliked by Morton fans as he tries hard and doesn't do an awful lot wrong, but equally most Morton fans would have been happy enough to see him leave during any summer he's been with us, but especially this summer. 

49 minutes ago, Trump said:

Gary Oliver, talk to me.

Runs around in circles with the ball a lot. Scores loads of goals against Dunfermline. Good technically (good touch and decent passer of the ball) but not very quick or direct. Best as a second striker or behind a front two. Was excellent in the play-off games last season - looked a class above Airdrie and Montrose in those games. Doesn't quite do enough at Championship level. I tend to think he'd do well in League One, but it's hard to tell. 

I thought we really had a pler when he played alongside Quitongo. Jai was fast and strong enough to force centreback A to stay close to centreback B in case he needed cover and Oliver was great at finding those gaps that were left. All those attributes (and faults) he had suited that position of playing off another striker but he never really replicated that after Duffy's first season. In his defence I don't think he's ever had a run in one position since then either. 

Like every almost every other player that's left Morton to go to Falkirk my thinking is "Hmmm... he wasn't bad but we wont miss him. Should do well in the diddy leagues"

That worked out well for Charlie Telfer, Greg Buchanan, Aiden Nesbitt, Craig McGuffie and Denny Johnstone. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

A next to useless sand dancer. Enjoy!

That’s a bit harsh even by your “FBA standards” He always puts in a shift, is very fit and has Undoubted ability with the ball. I agree we just couldn’t get any benefit out of his abilities, but you would think someone might manage to.

31 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

He always puts in a shift, is very fit and has Undoubted ability with the ball. I agree we just couldn’t get any benefit out of his abilities, but you would think someone might manage to.

The very definition of a sand-dancer.

1 hour ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

That’s a bit harsh even by your “FBA standards” He always puts in a shift, is very fit and has Undoubted ability with the ball. I agree we just couldn’t get any benefit out of his abilities, but you would think someone might manage to.

You argued against him being labelled useless, by stating we never got any use out of him...

Somebody came out with a statistic that 29% of Oliver’s career goals were against Dunfermline… don’t even care if that’s made up for the lolz, it’s Statistic of the Season.

Astonished Dunfermline haven’t just signed him and be done… but not at all surprised that Gary and his agent have decided to stalk them. Great move all round.

15 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Astonished Dunfermline haven’t just signed him and be done…

He'd just score OGs if that move happened.

BTW looking at our squad in isolation it does look a bit honking but, compared to the rest of the division, we have a decent enough base to build from* and we have the space and money available to improve upon it if we get the signings right. 

*this will be retracted if we don't keep at least one of Strapp or Hamilton

Hopefully a busy few days ahead of us.  GR suggested a couple of exciting  signings early this week, presumably in time for start of pre season on Wednesday. Would love to see some attacking options sign up. If we are to play 433, we need at least 3 attacking options and a midfielder or two. Apparently still a chance on Nicky Low.

With Strapp and Hamilton's contract's up, they will surely be looking to get something sorted ASAP, they won't want to go a few weeks without a wage.. Believe there is a good chance of retaining Strapp purely because no one will pay compo for him.  Brilliant if we can get another year out of him. You can understand Hamilton wanting to get something closer to home, just hope for our sake he doesn't get it as he was brilliant last season. Someone mentioned the boy Rae from Queens as a possible replacement, he was decent last year so would be happy enough with him should Hamilton go.

3/4 good signings this week and we can go into the new season on a high for a change.

I thought we were doing ok on season ticket sales then i see Raith go and sell 1000 in 10 days. i guess the new manager bounce has had a major factor as well as signing Easton etc. I'm sure if we recruit well over the next week or two, we can shift a few hundred more...

2 hours ago, madton said:

Hopefully a busy few days ahead of us.  GR suggested a couple of exciting  signings early this week, presumably in time for start of pre season on Wednesday. Would love to see some attacking options sign up. If we are to play 433, we need at least 3 attacking options and a midfielder or two. Apparently still a chance on Nicky Low.

With Strapp and Hamilton's contract's up, they will surely be looking to get something sorted ASAP, they won't want to go a few weeks without a wage.. Believe there is a good chance of retaining Strapp purely because no one will pay compo for him.  Brilliant if we can get another year out of him. You can understand Hamilton wanting to get something closer to home, just hope for our sake he doesn't get it as he was brilliant last season. Someone mentioned the boy Rae from Queens as a possible replacement, he was decent last year so would be happy enough with him should Hamilton go.

3/4 good signings this week and we can go into the new season on a high for a change.

I thought we were doing ok on season ticket sales then i see Raith go and sell 1000 in 10 days. i guess the new manager bounce has had a major factor as well as signing Easton etc. I'm sure if we recruit well over the next week or two, we can shift a few hundred more...

Rae would be a good replacement for Hamilton  but would need to pay Queens compensation 

42 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Rae would be a good replacement for Hamilton  but would need to pay Queens compensation 

About £2.50 should cover the 'contribution' made by that rabble to a player's development over the past 12 months. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

About £2.50 should cover the 'contribution' made by that rabble to a player's development over the past 12 months. 

* 4 months, because Rae's compensation development period expired in October.