The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

2 hours ago, virginton said:

What evidence do you have for this?

He played for Dumbarton last season and is still considered a professional footballer. That's all the evidence that's required as the rest of their squad moves onto the clubs that straddle the fine line between semi-pro and amateur like Ardeer, Gartcairn and Clyde.

He also won their Players' Player of the Year I think

51 minutes ago, zicoromaines said:

Where is Lewis Strapp expected to be playing next season? (Team that is, before someone says full back)

I wonder if the compo required has put off interested parties.

Hopefully we get another season out of him.

Happy to trust Imrie's judgement on Pignatiello: he clearly knows him pretty well and has an eye on versatility in a small-ish squad.

Would be good, though, to get confirmation either way on the players who've been offered extensions or are still talking (in the case of Hamilton, Strapp, Wilson, and Ugwu, preferably confirmation that they're staying).

Strapp dependent, that's probably our first choice back four in place now?

Strapp/New - O'Connor - Baird - Pignatiello

Then cover from Lithgow and Hynes as it stands, with McLean a maybe.

Reilly going elsewhere is disappointing and watching him every week we saw what he brought in his all round play and movement beyond goals, but he's still been a regular in a team who haven't scored enough with only five goals himself. I'd have liked to have him back, but like everyone else in the front three it's realistic to find an upgrade, if difficult.

I wonder if he will continue with a 3 at the back or at least use it on occasion next season.

I'd be surprised if Lithgow isn't playing most weeks. Even with his lack of pace, he  is still a good, experienced defender at this level.

Aye I would be surprised if we don’t continue with a back 5 next year, as Imrie only seemed to end games with 4 at the back when a defender had to be sacrificed for a more attacking player by substitution when we were after a goal.

Saying that, I would like to see us revert to a back 4, with that extra player going into midfield - I felt our three defeats to end the season were directly caused by that (too few men to pick up loose balls and build play from there, particularly when apparently had to be Ian Wilson who has all the dynamism of a corpse).

I like to think Strapp might want to give it one more season at Morton, to see if we can make a promotion bid for the first time in his time with us given a full year under Imrie. But I’m sure he’ll be away sadly. Not fussed about overly fussed about anyone else leaving, apart from Jack Hamilton.

1 hour ago, Morton Supporter said:

Aye I would be surprised if we don’t continue with a back 5 next year, as Imrie only seemed to end games with 4 at the back when a defender had to be sacrificed for a more attacking player by substitution when we were after a goal.

Saying that, I would like to see us revert to a back 4, with that extra player going into midfield - I felt our three defeats to end the season were directly caused by that (too few men to pick up loose balls and build play from there, particularly when apparently had to be Ian Wilson who has all the dynamism of a corpse).

I like to think Strapp might want to give it one more season at Morton, to see if we can make a promotion bid for the first time in his time with us given a full year under Imrie. But I’m sure he’ll be away sadly. Not fussed about overly fussed about anyone else leaving, apart from Jack Hamilton.

I would be surprised if did continue with a back 5 since Imrie has stated he would rather play with a 4. Based on the players we've brought in so far I'd assume that's what he's going for, 3 new signings, all defenders and all faster than what they're replacing (McEntee excepted).

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

I would be surprised if did continue with a back 5 since Imrie has stated he would rather play with a 4. Based on the players we've brought in so far I'd assume that's what he's going for, 3 new signings, all defenders and all faster than what they're replacing (McEntee excepted).

I hadn’t seen that said, pleased if true.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

It's not a fucking back 5 anyway. 

Strapp - Defender

Brandon - Defender

Lithgow - Defender

McLean - Defender

McEntee - Defender

BILLIONAIRE Greenock businessmen Sandy and James Easdale are today staying tight-lipped on links with a potential investment in Morton. 😮

image.png.c69c587b50e390545bc4fc67de154861.png

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/20161251.greenock-businessmen-sandy-james-easdale-tight-lipped-potential-morton-investment/

Edited by Colkitto

1 hour ago, Colkitto said:

BILLIONAIRE Greenock businessmen Sandy and James Easdale are today staying tight-lipped on links with a potential investment in Morton. 😮

image.png.c69c587b50e390545bc4fc67de154861.png

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/20161251.greenock-businessmen-sandy-james-easdale-tight-lipped-potential-morton-investment/

Give us the lolly and let us get some quality up front and in midfield.