The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

3 minutes ago, thruthenight said:

We've just signed Jamie Brandon on a pre-contract, how's he looked?

I stand by this post:

On 01/04/2022 at 17:17, Dunning1874 said:

He's clearly too good for this division. The injuries have finished his chances of being good enough for a side aiming to consolidate themselves as the third best team in the country, but he'd improve more than a couple of top flight sides. Would love to keep him but at the very worst I'd expect he'll be getting offers from the highest spenders in this division for next season.

Good luck to him, if he stays fit he'll be fine.

I liked Brandon, slightly surprised to see him get a Premiership offer, good Championship player for me.

In saying that, I don't see him getting a game ahead of your captain so presumably brought in as backup which is a shame as he would be a certain starter for us.

Good luck to him, certainly improved our right hand side once he came in.

32 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Hamilton
Hynes
Strapp
Lithgow
McLean
Wilson
Lyon
Blues
Oliver
Muirhead
Ugwu

Bounce Hynes, McLean, Blues, Oliver, and Muirhead to the bench, to be replaced by clear upgrades, and we're challenging for the league.

If (and it's a big 'if') we can keep Hamilton and Strapp, that's Sir Doug's job right there.

53 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Hamilton
Hynes
Strapp
Lithgow
McLean
Wilson
Lyon
Blues
Oliver
Muirhead
Ugwu

I don't mind the final XI tbh. If the second half of the season is indicative of the performances we can expect under Imrie next season the play offs aren't beyond us with a few signings. Bit of a drop from Brandon to Hynes, no pace at centre back and would miss Reilly but it's a decent base to build from. 

Turning that into an XI which isn't relegation material needs a right back,  centre back and winger at a minimum. Turning it into a credible top four side needs the aforementioned plus another centre back, definitely one but probably two central midfielders and another winger, which is before considering the strength in depth.

I'm sure we'll manage those six or seven signings needed if we already have 18 players signed up!

20 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Turning that into an XI which isn't relegation material needs a right back,  centre back and winger at a minimum. Turning it into a credible top four side needs the aforementioned plus another centre back, definitely one but probably two central midfielders and another winger, which is before considering the strength in depth.

I'm sure we'll manage those six or seven signings needed if we already have 18 players signed up!

Not sure about the need for a winger to be honest. In general I think they're a bit shit at our level but appreciate they're handy for stretching the defence out and offering something different but, more than that, I think at least one of the young players will get a chance to take that role. Garrity didnae impress me much in an off the boil Annan team last night but the reports from there in general paint a decent picture of a promising young player. Right back and two centre backs are the key areas. Ideally one who can cover left back as well. If Wilson remains then another centre mid isn't as pressing for me. 

3 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Not sure about the need for a winger to be honest. In general I think they're a bit shit at our level but appreciate they're handy for stretching the defence out and offering something different but, more than that, I think at least one of the young players will get a chance to take that role. Garrity didnae impress me much in an off the boil Annan team last night but the reports from there in general paint a decent picture of a promising young player. Right back and two centre backs are the key areas. Ideally one who can cover left back as well. If Wilson remains then another centre mid isn't as pressing for me. 

I was just about to say something pretty much the opposite to some of this. Towards the end of the season I thought our lack of a creative midfielder and winger was telling. That's why I'm surprised Oliver is being offered a new deal - he was used to try to fill those gaps in the squad last season, and didn't really do it. When we were crying out for a substitute to try to stretch a game and offer a bit of zip, we'd bring on Oliver (who isn't a player I particularly dislike) who would offer a wee bit of ball retention and circling around but not what we needed. We could really do like a player like Imrie himself was - not necessarily an old fashioned winger, but a player who knows how to push forward and make use of space in the final third (either by coming inside or going outside). I'd be very surprised if Garrity would be able to fill that lack in or squad, same with McGregor or King - they all seem a bit away from Championship level. Tom Allan was meant to be that player last season, but was hopeless. 

A midfield player who really knows how to pass a ball (and take a set piece) would be ideal as well. I agree that right back and centre back positions are key. Replacing Brandon and Reilly and improving on Ledger, Oliver, and McEntee would have been my immediate priorities this summer. Moving on Jacobs, who doesn't seem to fit in at the moment, would've been another. I don't know why McGrattan and Easdale are still here at their age - replacing the pair of them with one (actually useful) player would've seemed more sensible to me (but who knows what's going on there). 

I agree that Championship wingers tend to be a bit shit and would rather do without them, but Imrie has said often enough that he favours a 4-3-3.

Maybe that could actually turn out to be more of a 4-3-1-2 with two centre forwards, one of whom drifts wide, with someone playing off them in a bit of a free role rather than actually having out and out wingers, then putting Muirhead or Garrity wide if you need to stretch a game at all. It'd definitely be easier to find one decent option to play in behind a front two than two wingers anyway.

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

I agree that Championship wingers tend to be a bit shit and would rather do without them, but Imrie has said often enough that he favours a 4-3-3.

Maybe that could actually turn out to be more of a 4-3-1-2 with two centre forwards, one of whom drifts wide, with someone playing off them in a bit of a free role rather than actually having out and out wingers, then putting Muirhead or Garrity wide if you need to stretch a game at all. It'd definitely be easier to find one decent option to play in behind a front two than two wingers anyway.

That ties with what Imrie said in a podcast a few months back where he stated his preference for a 433 system and emphasised that it would be without wingers. He also said that circumstances might mean he can't implement it in this coming season and may have to continue with 352 - 532.

If we go to a three up front, one of them needs to be a strong-running player who can stretch defences, wide or otherwise; doesn't need to be a 'winger'.

Also, as @SpoonTon says above, it's wild that anybody who's watched us this season thinks we're ok in central midfield, with or without Wilson; we're crying out for someone in there who can get on the ball and dictate the play. All the options we currently have bring certain qualities, but none of them consistently passes the ball well enough.

I'll stick to right-back; centre-back; centre-mid; wide-player; finisher as the priorities for a first XI (assuming we don't need to find another goalkeeper and left-back). Beyond that, it's filling gaps in the squad.

11 minutes ago, George Caplin said:

Dougie Imrie will leave Morton this week to take over at Hamilton,  Watch this space 

That will be disappointing. I was hopeful he would take us to Hampden at least twice next season.

21 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Where would Hamilton be getting the cash to pay off Taylor (2 years?) and compensation to Morton (another year)?

And what kind of player budget would that leave them?

Stranger things have happened, I guess… but this smells like pish.

They have obviously received another email from a Nigerian prince.

42 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Where would Hamilton be getting the cash to pay off Taylor (2 years?) and compensation to Morton (another year)?

And what kind of player budget would that leave them?

Stranger things have happened, I guess… but this smells like pish.

Taylor is only on a 1 year rolling contract I’m sure (same with Rice and Canning before him). Additionally if he goes it will most likely be a mutual parting so I doubt we’d agree to pay up his full contract in that case.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

30 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Taylor is only on a 1 year rolling contract I’m sure (same with Rice and Canning before him). Additionally if he goes it will most likely be a mutual parting so I doubt we’d agree to pay up his full contract in that case.

Fair enough, but Taylor won’t go for nothing and Imrie is under contract.

It’s rare for clubs at this level to take managers currently in jobs, for very good reasons.

When was the last time a. it happened; b. it went well?