The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

1 hour ago, Mr Toon said:

Very early days but I hope we have Dougie Imrie tied into a decent term contract. If things go on anything like they are doing at the moment other clubs will be taking notice and just like with a player that we want to keep, we also need to ensure that if/when he goes we get an appropriate recompense. 

He signed an 18 month deal when he took over. I'd like to think with us now looking at tying players up for next season and beyond that we could convince him to extend for another year at the same time.

13 points in the first two quarters of the season under that tit McPherson and the janny. 

18 points in the third quarter alone under a real manager. By some distance the best record in this nick of a league.

If we had just emptied that clownshoe for Sir Douglas in October (Inverness away), then we'd be entering the home straight of a title campaign now. 

CdS2JR0WwAIEFkw.jpg.3172144e9f88818f2acb36896f4f140d.jpg

On 26/12/2021 at 07:57, Branch Ton said:

Not sure what’s sadder;

a) You reading and commenting upon this dross on Christmas Day

b) You having to edit a five word post

c) Master influencer Toby giving up his time on Christmas Day to green dot you when he could have been posting on selfie’s of him kissing Doug Imrie’s jock strap on Facebook. 

d) Those applicants for the Morton manager’s  job who didn’t even make it to the interview short list given the successful candidate’s  far from extensive achievement record.

e) The fact that even under fan ownership most fans have no idea who was on the interview panel and what the assessment criteria was. 

5b6d5410-c8cd-4376-80d3-465b75fe7a95.jpg.1da51b31aff465ea705a9fabc3e7a02c.jpg

On 21/12/2021 at 12:38, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Yet another reason to dislike Morten.

Thank you.

Mark fucking McGhee v Sir Douglas Imrie.

Down you go beneath The Famous. 

Thank you. 

d082eb68-ac02-4ab0-93b7-90444d382827.jpg.9410479ee3f9e103e5ceb51c8cf8c508.jpg

On 20/12/2021 at 19:11, Lex said:

Dougie Imrie is a daft wee ned. Should fit in fine in Greenock.
As manager though?
Lol.

Lol indeed. 

68461480be32663605a4773763722339.jpg.0c58f3804e91d65a3be724a047aea567.jpg

Edited by vikingTON

Guess there won’t be much movement until safety is confirmed, but, of the players not signed for next year, we should be moving as quickly as we can to re-sign Hamilton, Strapp, and Ugwu.

I’d also be looking at taking Reilly on a permanent deal and trying to bring McEntee back on loan (I’d say the same for Brandon, but doubt we’ll get him).

For the rest, happy to trust Imrie’s judgement, whether it’s on retentions or bringing in new faces; for the first time since… well, for a long, long time, I’m confident we’ve got a manager who will maximise what we get for our budget.

Let’s can this season and get on with the next one.

Not sure what will happen about Jacobs. Think he's signed for next season but don't think Dougie rates him.

Been out of favour since Dougie arrived and I think it was given his first start yesterday.

Watched Dougie put his head in his hands when Jacobs hit an easy pass right out the park.

2 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

we should be moving as quickly as we can to re-sign Hamilton

Not sure about this. Yes, he's probably the best shot stopped in the league and he has saved us numerous points over the season but he's also cost us a few. I don't think he really comes for crosses enough (although this does seem to be dependent on his confidence. If he has a few good games in a row he's more likely to come out and claim them). It's a bit of swings and roundabouts but I'd rather a solid and unspectacular keeper who wont save you as many points but wont throw as many in either. 

Getting rid of a keeper who you're aware of the faults/strengths of for someone else is a gamble at this level but I'm unconvinced about Hamilton. 

Hamilton has been performing in the top 2 in the division and all keepers have weaknesses at this level anyway. McAdams wasn't great with long distance strikes either and Gaston was making some howlers towards the end of his time at the club.

We're very unlikely to get better on the permanent market and so that's where you aim for year on year stability in the squad. 

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Not sure about this. Yes, he's probably the best shot stopped in the league and he has saved us numerous points over the season but he's also cost us a few. I don't think he really comes for crosses enough (although this does seem to be dependent on his confidence. If he has a few good games in a row he's more likely to come out and claim them). It's a bit of swings and roundabouts but I'd rather a solid and unspectacular keeper who wont save you as many points but wont throw as many in either. 

Getting rid of a keeper who you're aware of the faults/strengths of for someone else is a gamble at this level but I'm unconvinced about Hamilton. 

For me Hamilton is the best keeper we've had in decades. He's an excellent keeper 

1 minute ago, Colkitto said:

For me Hamilton is the best keeper we've had in decades. He's an excellent keeper 

That honestly blows my mind. Fair play to the lad for resurrecting his career.

Keepers in the 2nd tier are going to make mistakes. Hamilton has had a couple of howlers but so has everyone else in this league. He's been great the whole season.

14 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

That’s some pretty high standards.

The only way we’ll sign a better keeper than Hamilton is on loan.

The main thing for me is that when he’s had a wobble — and there haven’t been many, QoS last week probably the worst — he’s been good and really focused the next week. The bag of nerves Dundee turned him into has gone.

There’s still improvement in him and a good number of ‘peak’ years ahead.

Two-year contract please.

Hamilton has made a few mistakes - Tumilty's goal for Raith in the 2-2 draw for example looked like an error to me and last week against Queens he  made a mess of a shot and then mucked up a kick out to set up the second goal.  However he's still a decent keeper and he has saved us on a lot more occasions than McAdams ever did.  On Saturday in the last minute he collected a corner kick under pressure where a lot of keepers wouldn't have held it.  I'd maybe take Gaston over Hamilton, but there are no keepers in our division that I would say are better than Hamilton.

The majority of errors from Hamilton have been in the ' should have done better' category rather than howlers. Ones that you get by keepers at every single level. If a keeper has a reputation for howlers though then the previous category can get overblown. 

He had a few howlers over a week or two period mid season where we had a lot of games so you can start to worry that the Hamilton of old was beginning to appear, but in reality only having two weeks of consistent poor form over the course of a season is impressive for any player. If we'd only had Saturday games during that period we'd have probably barely even noticed. 

He's been sensational this season and came up with massive saves in games that we've picked up important points in. 

When a Keeper gets his name thrown about for POTS I'm normally one of the first to criticise it, How McAdams got it for us is still an absolute mystery, but this time its hard to disagree with it, Hamilton has been the most consistent keeper we've had in a long time and should be the next player we offer a contract extension to.  

2 hours ago, Pedro1874 said:

When a Keeper gets his name thrown about for POTS I'm normally one of the first to criticise it, How McAdams got it for us is still an absolute mystery, 

McAdams got it because our outfield team was a monumental nick last season. I wasn't too disappointed when he left as he is a replacement-level Championship keeper, but that was enough to earn us points that the McGinty show would have chucked away otherwise. 

Hope it’s alright to share here - I had the gaffer Dougie Imrie on my podcast this week if anyone fancies giving it a listen. Buzzing to see him doing well at the Ton. Hope everyone enjoys, any feedback or shares or follows on Twitter or Instagram which is @headitpodcast massively appreciated 👍🏻⚽

YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BPKpdDW4aHw

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/7K9S8IX1UJ9CM3pm30uGxK?si=whLNGnwjRTKK1XfSiFatUQ

Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/a-chat-with-dougie-imrie/id1570371231?i=1000554738393

Cheers

Ross