The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

• 2 weeks later...

Four league games into Imrie’s reign and already we’re hearing a lot of  ‘no way Morton will go down’ (although not so much from our own supporters). For all the vast improvement in the way the team is set up - and their attitude and all-round confidence - I’m not quite there yet.

The team needs three things, but we’ll probably only get one of them (if that):

1. Somebody comfortable playing on the left at centre-half who isn’t 36 years old. With eight defenders on the books, it’s unlikely we’ll get another. He could try McEntee there, but the boy is clearly more comfortable on the other side (in fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if he comes in for Ledger after the second daft penalty in as many games).

2. Another option in midfield. Blues has done well, but relying on him to play and perform every week is a gamble, even before we factor in the inevitability of injuries. The squad is wafer-thin here and an injury or two could be all it takes to relegate us.

3. A wide forward (or an out and out winger who isn’t lightweight and/or inconsistent). At the moment, we’ve got Oliver somewhere in the gap between midfield and Ugwu and Reilly, but that is and will continue to be the definition of ‘mixed success’. Another hard-running player further up the park would take Imrieball to the next level.

If we only get one of the above, it would be in midfield. Get two and I’ll go along with ‘no way Morton will go down’.

Yeah, taking 8 points from 4 games (that took MacPherson 11 games, for anyone wondering) and still finding ourselves in 9th tells you how urgently we needed the turnaround to come, and if we do have a wobble with injuries or just a hit to confidence when a league defeat inevitably happens at some point we're going to be staying right in the shit. I've seen enough in those games though to at least be confident that this isn't just a new manager bounce and Imrie really does know what he's doing. If we'd only taken the 3-4 points that would have been the best case scenario for those games under MacPherson then 8th would already be out of reach.

Another couple of signings are necessary but are hopefully on the way, and if we maintain this level of performance we know we can compete with Dunfermline, Ayr and Queen of the South at least. I won't be indulging in any "we'll definitely be fine" type chat either, but we've got real reasons to believe 6th or 7th is a realistic target now when 8th was a pipe dream two months ago.

We could really do with keeping this going in Inverness. They've not done us any favours this season, having dropped points to everyone else in the bottom half while effortlessly swatting us aside twice.

The Lyon-Blues pairing seems to be working well, which surprised me slightly as I hadn't really rated Blues up until recently.  We have Jacobs in reserve and he hasn't really been missed, but he's available to cover an injury, albeit he plays a different role.  Lyon has been sitting deeper and more central recently and his drives upfield are giving us some creativity that was lacking under Gus.

As for the wide player, Mcgrattan looked decent on Friday when he came on - that move that ended with Gozie's back heeler showed he is not afraid to take on opponents.  Not the finished article yet, but he features in a song now so that's a start.  Mind you if they ever bring back Quizball, I would leave him on the bench for that too...

Things definitely looking up.  A win in inverness on Saturday would be superb as it would show this is not just a short term lift. The way we played Raith off the park at times on Friday was uplifting - just need to cut out the daft defensive glitches now.  That Hamilton error for the second goal was horrendous.

18 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

I've seen enough in those games though to at least be confident that this isn't just a new manager bounce and Imrie really does know what he's doing.

The switch in formation and tactics against Raith confirmed this for me. He's been very consistent in his picks up until the hour mark against Raith then shifted things about to be more attacking. Brave move considering we were already playing better than Raith at that point as well.

I think we're all pretty clear that Imrie brings plenty to the table: watching us is like night and day compared to what went before. But reality has a way of dawning pretty quickly in football and a defeat or a couple of injuries might mean he faces the next big challenge for a new manager sooner rather than later, i.e. what do you do when things start running against you?

You should always strengthen when things are looking good, rather than waiting for the crisis, which is why I hope we strengthen either tonight or at some point in February. There are a couple of wages going spare, we should use them. 

What happened to him at the Pars? Injuries?

Aye just constantly injured. Someone pointed out that he’d played X games since Y date, and even now he’s fit it doesn’t seem like he’s in Hughes’ plans.

Very good Championship player when he’s fit, he reads the game really well and can control the midfield. Time will tell, though, if he can reach similar form since he’s been out a fair while.

Very happy with that, if he can stay fit he's exactly the type of player the midfield is missing and gives us options to change things in there now.

We still need to either add a goalkeeper or even just trust Bysouth to sit on the bench in case something happens to Hamilton during a game, but it's been a decent window with Brandon and Wilson coming in. One player who has definitely improved the starting XI and another who probably will if he's fit.

2 hours ago, Alibi said:

I'm wondering where Wilson fits into our midfield. Is he going to replace Blues (who has improved a lot this season).

At worst, he provides better cover than what we already have. At best, he displaces Blues if he proves his fitness and performs even better than the improved Blues.

Nothing to lose really.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

He can also replace Oliver - who was anonymous for large parts of the Raith game - to give us more presence on the middle of the park. 

That was my own first thought too - although I don't know what Wilson's particular strengths are.

8 hours ago, virginton said:

He can also replace Oliver - who was anonymous for large parts of the Raith game - to give us more presence in the middle of the park. 

Correct, Imrie yet again identifies area of weakness and gets a replacement.

Liked the boy when I seen him v us in Queens games, looked a strong boy so hope injuries are behind him.

That plus McLean dropping out on Saturday and we have a side who can go against anyone in this division.