The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

4 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

We are punting naebody. There's no way we can afford to pay anyone off and not a single one of them are good enough for another club to pick them up. A coupla loans will end to give whoever comes in half a chance in the bargain bin

All of our previous haddy players have found other clubs stupid enough to sign them. That's what souped-up junior diddy outfits like Darvel are for. 

If the likes of Muirhead and Lithgow don't like the big bad fanbase then they can put in a transfer request and the club can speed their departure in January. 

Edited by vikingTON

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

We are punting naebody. There's no way we can afford to pay anyone off and not a single one of them are good enough for another club to pick them up. A coupla loans will end to give whoever comes in half a chance in the bargain bin

Yes this is a issue but not Unsurmountable.

Loanees can be punted, surely we have a get out or new year break clause. Pity Knowles got injured as he seemed to be finding his feet. Allan is not up to it, dump him. Reilly, is a mystery, thought he was a great signing, held out hope for him, to be fair gives it a bit of effort,  but missed an easy header and fluffed his lines after bullying the big Arbroath centre. Maybe someone else we can get might convert half the chances he has been giving that could be the difference between losing by the odd goal and winning.

Oksanen, never seems up for it after the under 21 trips. Have falling out of love with him seems to go back more and more each game. Glad Lyon has come on to a game and is attempting to drive us up field. He will be no loss as sure Jacobs can do more and has something to prove having been kept out the team.

Muirhead is not interested. So a simple management decision dump him. He is causing a negative attitude in the camp.

Offer 50 % lump sum I am sure he can match his wages in the lower leagues where he might be a star.

Lithgow is a different issue. At the Raith game a fan got show out for abusive language aimed at him. He should be good enough but trolling him is not helping. We signed him, thought he served his time (a fair time ago) so we need him to focus on shoring up the defence.

Look St Mirren were down and out at this stage a few years ago but appointed the right guy and are lording it over us now.

This is make or break for MCT get the right man or it's part-time football next year. On the plus side I see a part-time team are leading the league and our decent team in 1970's were part-timers.

Scott Burns says it's Dougie Imrie:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dougie-imrie-set-morton-job-25748580

Happy with that. It's a situation where going for a first time manager is a massive gamble, but a much more sensible one than hoping some proven failure like Brian Rice comes good. Like any first time manager it could go tits up, but he's not the most senior member of a playing squad or an existing member of the backroom staff reluctantly taking the role, he's someone who actually wants to be a manager and has clearly put some thought into working towards it.

A huge task for the new manager is changing the attitude of the squad and getting them to take some responsibility for the position they're in - if it's always someone else's fault they aren't going to accept their own performances aren't good enough - and I have little doubt that Imrie won't suffer the 'plucky little Morton' mentality.

A bit scunnered that it'll be Imrie tbh. He was just brought in to run our academy, was influential in setting it up and is Head of Youth Development all leading to the academy kicking off in January and he's off before it even begins. Bit of a shite one for us but he's getting a taste of management at least

Imrie probably at the right stage of his career to try his hand at management.

Long playing career, coaching at Hamilton and Livi and now taking the reigns at Morton.

Every appointment is a gamble and this is no different. But he knows these leagues and has the experience.

What I liked about Imrie is he had attitude and I think that will be the case in his management style. 

I don't believe he will suffer fools gladly.  And I hope his attitude spills onto the pitch as well.

We need to get behind him and back him to the hilt to get up the league.

18 minutes ago, Lex said:

Dougie Imrie is a daft wee ned. Should fit in fine in Greenock.
As manager though?
Lol.

Still, if he manages just 16 points from the half season left he'll have a better record than Gus MacPherson, the worst Morton manager in 20 years.

Edited by Dunning1874

A lot of Accies fans wanted Imrie to take over from Rice. Its obviously an unknown quantity but what you, and every club in the bottom half,  need is a bit of dig and desire and I'm sure Dougie will give you that. I doubt he'll be as good as Alex Neil but I expect him to have a similar attitude to management as he did, if he's half as good as Neil you'll be onto a winner. 

14 hours ago, Lex said:

Dougie Imrie is a daft wee ned. Should fit in fine in Greenock.
As manager though?
Lol.

10 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Just the latest clown who will be added into that circus.

😁

Thank you both for your valued input, which has been safely consigned to the round file where it belongs.

Moving on..............

If it IS Imrie who gets it I'll be reasonably happy with that.  Yes, of course it's a gamble, but as things stand right now it's a gamble worth taking IMO.

One thing is certain though - some attitudes among the playing staff are going to have to change if they want to get a game under Dougie.

As Dunning's pointed out it's hard to judge managers by their playing career but ye imagine someone who was gave it their all as a player and came up through the ammies and juniors all the way to the top flight wont take any shite from wasters heading in the opposite direction. 

I think what I'm trying to say is I hope he slaps Robbie Muirhead