The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

28 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

How's 'Flap Jack' getting on?

Had been very good, but has been directly at fault for a goal in three of our last four games.

Losing six today can’t be put down to some calamitous performance from the keeper though, it was a lack of courage from too many outfield players.

28 minutes ago, Bob in Denny said:

i'd rather we (try to )play at a run down Cappielow than a soulless New Celtic Park😉

I believe that a complaint under the the work at height regulations 2005 is active and if there is any repeat of the quite disgraceful recent breaches, a Health and Safety Executive visit would lead to enforcement proceedings

On 10/12/2021 at 11:14, Dunning1874 said:

Yeah, Rutkiewicz may well apply but rage quitting a League Two club with a statement full of excuses after four successive defeats and six without a win doesn't scream 'stepping up to the Championship imminently' to me.

Lets not forget not improving said shite League 2 club in three years at the helm. I would be staggered if Morton appointed him. 

15 minutes ago, sophia said:

I believe that a complaint under the the work at height regulations 2005 is active and if there is any repeat of the quite disgraceful recent breaches, a Health and Safety Executive visit would lead to enforcement proceedings

In all due respect,

I honestly don't give a toodly pip...

1 hour ago, sophia said:

🤣

Contain yerself.

Anyone remember when Jim Duffy got the job? Took us up in his first year, consolidated and kept us safe in the championship the next year finishing 5th.

3rd year had our best season in recent times, finishing 4th had some cracking players and was awarded championship manager of the year.

The next year with morton sitting a safe 7th some fans wanted him sacked, despite not one at the time being able to suggest an alternative. 

They got their way and since then we have been in terminal decline.

And alot of these football experts still post. 

3 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Anyone remember when Jim Duffy got the job? Took us up in his first year, consolidated and kept us safe in the championship the next year finishing 5th.

3rd year had our best season in recent times, finishing 4th had some cracking players and was awarded championship manager of the year.

The next year with morton sitting a safe 7th some fans wanted him sacked, despite not one at the time being able to suggest an alternative. 

They got their way and since then we have been in terminal decline.

And alot of these football experts still post. 

I liked Duffy. I think he's the best manager I've seen at Cappielow in my time. But if you think we weren't in decline anyway with Duffy at the helm yer having a laugh.

Our aim is to get promoted out of this division and not just sit around 7th hoping some other teams are worse than us. We're not Queen of the South. Duffy was never going to be the manager to get us promoted. He wasn't sacked. His contract wasn't renewed (rightly after two seasons in a row where we got progressively worse) and we gambled on fresh blood. Then, the next season, we finished two positions higher so you could even argue the gamble paid off.

The season after that we had just came off an 8 game unbeaten run and were going for the play offs when Covid 19 cancelled the season. We're now three and a half seasons on from not extending Duffy's contract and, in that time, he's nearly had Dumbarton relegated to 4th tier and is now floundering with Ayr United. It's not like we got rid of Thomas Tuchel. 

Just now, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I liked Duffy. I think he's the best manager I've seen at Cappielow in my time. But if you think we weren't in decline anyway with Duffy at the helm yer having a laugh.

Our aim is to get promoted out of this division and not just sit around 7th hoping some other teams are worse than us. We're not Queen of the South. Duffy was never going to be the manager to get us promoted. He wasn't sacked. His contract wasn't renewed (rightly after two seasons in a row where we got progressively worse) and we gambled on fresh blood. Then, the next season, we finished two positions higher so you could even argue the gamble paid off.

The season after that we had just came off an 8 game unbeaten run and were going for the play offs when Covid 19 cancelled the season. We're now three and a half seasons on from not extending Duffy's contract and, in that time, he's nearly had Dumbarton relegated to 4th tier and is now floundering with Ayr United. It's not like we got rid of Thomas Tuchel. 

We got worse 1 season under Duffy not 2. Every other season we improved on the previous performances.

Im not holding Duffy up as some "Tuchel" as you put it. Hes not the best manager weve had I've seen in my time. But you say he was never going to get us promoted, but we have never been as good since.

Some of his selections at times were baffling, but he certainly had an eye for a player and made some cracking signings for us.

He should have been given the chance to rebuild. 

Just now, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Apologies. It was one poor season but, my confusion came from it being, really, a poor 18 months. 

No problem it was a while ago I had to look it up myself.

My point is tho it was a rebuilding time. We had a guy there who had proven he could build a good team. But we binned him for the complete unknown.

We cant go back and say how would Duffy had done. But I think it was the wrong decision. And its hard to argue now that it wasn't.

* Edit, thanks for the clowns who pushed for it identifying themselves with the red dots 👍

Edited by BingMcCrosby